McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Bow Saw!
I feel like you hit me in the back of the head and said boy, pay attention! LOL!
Many thanks and much appreciated!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

33 to 35?

Does anyone know the differences between the gearboxes on the 33 and the 35? I have a 35 that has a broken casting and I've located a NOS gearbox for a 33(c?). The gasket is the same according to the IPL but, the complete assembly is not. Maybe a different gear ratio?

Any help/info is appreciated.

Tom

Does anyone know the differences between the gearboxes on the 33 and the 35? I have a 35 that has a broken casting and I've located a NOS gearbox for a 33(c?). The gasket is the same according to the IPL but, the complete assembly is not. Maybe a different gear ratio?

Tom

I can't answer your question, but you look like you needed some rep ;)
Jim

Tom

I'd rather have the answer but, I'll take what I can get. :cheers:

I have a McCulloch 35A that's doing nothing for me. Even tried to give it away. If you'll pay me the actual shipping cost, then I'll send the whole thing to you. It's complete except for a bar. The carb diaphragms are pretty shot. Has great compression and spark though. The gearbox is tip-top. Unfortunately, we're on opposite sides of the country, so shipping will be a bit spendy. LMK if you want it...:cheers:

I have a McCulloch 35A that's doing nothing for me. Even tried to give it away. If you'll pay me the actual shipping cost, then I'll send the whole thing to you. It's complete except for a bar. The carb diaphragms are pretty shot. Has great compression and spark though. The gearbox is tip-top. Unfortunately, we're on opposite sides of the country, so shipping will be a bit spendy. LMK if you want it...:cheers:

They're pretty flat, think it'd fit a flat rate box? :D

My zipcode is 22406. If it's under $30 to ship it I'll take it.

Aaron, regarding your post 3818, I suspect your "790" is in fact a 1-76 (99 cc vs. 103 cc for the 790), check the bore; 1-76 is 2.165" and the 790 is 2.217.

My 1-71 and 1-85 are both all yellow, the 740 and 795 are yellow with a black tank top (795), or just a black air filter cover (740).

The 1-71 is in front, the 1-85 at the back in this photo. I guess I've never taken any better photo's of the 1-71 by itself.
attachment.php

The 1-85
attachment.php

The 740
attachment.php

The 795, I repainted the tank top since it was in very bad shape when it arrived.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Aaron, regarding your post 3818, I suspect your "790" is in fact a 1-76 (99 cc vs. 103 cc for the 790), check the bore; 1-76 is 2.165" and the 790 is 2.217.

My 1-71 and 1-85 are both all yellow, the 740 and 795 are yellow with a black tank top (795), or just a black air filter cover (740).

The 1-71 is in front, the 1-85 at the back in this photo. I guess I've never taken any better photo's of the 1-71 by itself.

Mark

I did find a couple more photo's of the 1-71, not by itself but maybe you can see some details that would help I.D. the one you have. The 1-71 is in front of the others.

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark. I've been suspecting the same thing since I uncovered those numbers. Would a 1-76 still have "790" stamped into the big round 'post' on the bottom of the crankcase? Also, does your 1-71 have an auto oiler pump? Can't see one on your saw in the pic. My 'mystery saw' has one. Acres' site lists only a manual oiler for the 1-76......but we've seen errors there before. My saw also has the 'rubber dipped' top section of the front handle like your 740 does.

My saw looks identical to your 740 except for mine having a round outlet muffler. Randy's 790 has a muffler like your 740. I believe the AF cover that was with my 790 was painted black (but was broken, and had no decal). The tank cover was yellow, although little of that paint remains. Randy gave me another AF cover (all yellow, with no decal).

Both my saw and Randy's are probably "Frankensaws". They both have yellow tank tops (what paint there is left on the tank tops is yellow anyways). My muffler looks like what came on SP105/125 saws (with the round SA insert). Randy's saw has a fan shrowd with a yellow painted alloy guard, like what I've seen on D44's. The famous "McCulloch Interchangability" is making this identification dificult. Looks like I'll have to check the bore to be sure, like you said. Probably won't be able to do that until the weekend.

Many of the numbers on my saw are "double stamped" like the guy stamped the number, then moved the punch very slightly and stamped again. The "790" looks like it was hit three times. Must've been a monday at the factory. There is a tag under one of the carb nuts, but that's not going to be definitive, as I believe the carb was swapped. The tag may be for my saw, or for the carb donor saw...

Got to love Mac interchangeability. It can help you out finding a part, or it can make things confusing. Between that and the 77 it sounds like you got your hands full. Hope you have plenty of cranial lube.:)

Got to love Mac interchangeability. It can help you out finding a part, or it can make things confusing. Between that and the 77 it sounds like you got your hands full. Hope you have plenty of cranial lube.:)

After fighting that 77 all afternoon (that reminds me-gotta go check them damn soaking diaphragms) and trying to figure out what saw Randy gave me.............my brain was certainly in need of cranial lube. Applied quite a bit of the good stuff last night. I'd be adding an additional dose if I didn't have to go to work soon...:givebeer:

Thanks for the info Mark. I've been suspecting the same thing since I uncovered those numbers. Would a 1-76 still have "790" stamped into the big round 'post' on the bottom of the crankcase? Also, does your 1-71 have an auto oiler pump? Can't see one on your saw in the pic. My 'mystery saw' has one. Acres' site lists only a manual oiler for the 1-76......but we've seen errors there before. My saw also has the 'rubber dipped' top section of the front handle like your 740 does.

Hi,

I have both the 1-86 and 1-76 models in my collection - the cylinders are stamped with the typical McCulloch double stamp '1-76, 1-86' markings used for the gear drive and direct drive models. Obviously that is because the same cylinder was used on both of these models. My 1-76 is not fitted with an auto oiler.

Regards,

Chris.

Randy, if you would rake that straw up maybe the forest fire danger out there would go down some. Eccentric, make sure that saw you're restoring for him has the spark arrestor in it, hell even hot brass from shooting at hippies could start his place on fire...not to mention ashes from them cigars. I hope the insurance is paid up, and the insurance guy or gal knows nothing about this forum.

Randy, if you would rake that straw up maybe the forest fire danger out there would go down some. Eccentric, make sure that saw you're restoring for him has the spark arrestor in it, hell even hot brass from shooting at hippies could start his place on fire...not to mention ashes from them cigars. I hope the insurance is paid up, and the insurance guy or gal knows nothing about this forum.

:agree2:

And he's probably still angry about those PBR's...

Not too worried about fire, we are at 192% of normal rainfall, heck 4 or 5 inches of that was fog drizzle. We have a rare sunny warm day, hardly a breeze, clear weather here often comes with a 40 knot gale.

I find all the tech and ID stuff interesting, it's only been the last five years that I even cared. I just ran them, I could figure out most things that needed attention to keep working, like changing clutch drums, spockets and such. If something under the flywheel needed help, it went to the shop.

I dug up pics of the kinda, sorta, maybe something else, 790.

790003.jpg

790004.jpg

790005.jpg

That is a Frankensaw if I ever saw one. The block markings are unique! Auto oiler and rim and drum sprocket point to 790, but no decomp points the other way. What carb is in there? I was under the impression that style muffler was unique to the sp125 block and wouldn't fit a cp125, 700 series, etc. Get out the popsicle sticks and run them through the muffler and the plug hole. I'm curious as to what that is!

Latest posts

Back