McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
790002.jpg

That looks like exactly like a LPsMc?
That would be LP- me/mine Mc- Unidentifiable Mac :biggrinbounce2:

Waiting my turn for a 100CC Mac to show up in this neck of the woods, and hope Stinkbait doesnt find it first

That is a Frankensaw if I ever saw one. The block markings are unique! Auto oiler and rim and drum sprocket point to 790, but no decomp points the other way. What carb is in there? I was under the impression that style muffler was unique to the sp125 block and wouldn't fit a cp125, 700 series, etc. Get out the popsicle sticks and run them through the muffler and the plug hole. I'm curious as to what that is!

I wouldn't say a frankensaw.
The 790's had the square mufflers
and they did not have the decomp.
Drum and rim could have been swaped
for normal wear and tear.
Never seen the model stamped in the
center round boss. Normally to the side.

Lee

That is a Tillotson HL carburetor but that doesn't really prove anything either. My 740 and 795 both have the rectangular muffler, not sure about the S797 and I can't seem to find any photo's of it right now.

I have seen the model/serial number stamps in a variety of places on the 44 and 55 Series saws but I've never seen quite the mess that is on the bottom of that one.

Bore will be the best indicator as several different saws had the same stroke including the 790 and the 1-76.

Mark

Hi,

I have both the 1-86 and 1-76 models in my collection - the cylinders are stamped with the typical McCulloch double stamp '1-76, 1-86' markings used for the gear drive and direct drive models. Obviously that is because the same cylinder was used on both of these models. My 1-76 is not fitted with an auto oiler.

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks for the info mate!:cheers:

I dug up pics of the kinda, sorta, maybe something else, 790.

790003.jpg

790004.jpg

790005.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics Randy. Did you knock some of the grease/crud off the saw before you brought it south? It's still dirty, but not that dirty...

Randy, if you would rake that straw up maybe the forest fire danger out there would go down some. Eccentric, make sure that saw you're restoring for him has the spark arrestor in it, hell even hot brass from shooting at hippies could start his place on fire...not to mention ashes from them cigars. I hope the insurance is paid up, and the insurance guy or gal knows nothing about this forum.

Ha!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Not too worried about fire, we are at 192% of normal rainfall, heck 4 or 5 inches of that was fog drizzle. We have a rare sunny warm day, hardly a breeze, clear weather here often comes with a 40 knot gale.

I find all the tech and ID stuff interesting, it's only been the last five years that I even cared. I just ran them, I could figure out most things that needed attention to keep working, like changing clutch drums, spockets and such. If something under the flywheel needed help, it went to the shop.

.....now it heads south with an eccentric sawhead!

That is a Frankensaw if I ever saw one. The block markings are unique! Auto oiler and rim and drum sprocket point to 790, but no decomp points the other way. What carb is in there? I was under the impression that style muffler was unique to the sp125 block and wouldn't fit a cp125, 700 series, etc. Get out the popsicle sticks and run them through the muffler and the plug hole. I'm curious as to what that is!

The carb is a Tillotson HL19E. Randy's 790 also has a square muffler, but with the wide rectangular outlet (like Mark's 740 in the pics he posted earlier).

That looks like exactly like a LPsMc?
That would be LP- me/mine Mc- Unidentifiable Mac :biggrinbounce2:

Waiting my turn for a 100CC Mac to show up in this neck of the woods, and hope Stinkbait doesnt find it first

Guess it's an EccMcC? in this case Zach...

I wouldn't say a frankensaw.
The 790's had the square mufflers
and they did not have the decomp.
Drum and rim could have been swaped
for normal wear and tear.
Never seen the model stamped in the
center round boss. Normally to the side.

Lee

Yeah, it's strange. The "790" looks to have been stamped at least twice in the same spot................and by a drunk...

Randy's saw has much simpler markings, with "790" stamped (once) to the left of the round boss.

That is a Tillotson HL carburetor but that doesn't really prove anything either. My 740 and 795 both have the rectangular muffler, not sure about the S797 and I can't seem to find any photo's of it right now.

I have seen the model/serial number stamps in a variety of places on the 44 and 55 Series saws but I've never seen quite the mess that is on the bottom of that one.

Bore will be the best indicator as several different saws had the same stroke including the 790 and the 1-76.

Mark

It is indeed a mess under there. As I cleaned the gunk off, it just got more and more confusing. Most of the numbers aren't even visible in that pic (because of the grime). Looking at the bottom of the saw with the bar facing up (turn Randy's pic 90degrees CC).....the "1 76 81" stuff (with "81 under "76", and a horizontal "1" stamped over "81") is on the left, just under the left side of the 'T' crossbar. "4322" (with a horizontal "1" stamped over each number) is just under the right side of the 'T' crossbar. ""0277" is drunkenly stamped along the right side of the post of the 'T' in much larger numbers...:help:

I'll measure the bore this weekend, or sooner if I can get to it some morning before getting ready for work.

Notice that it has the 'spit catcher' can and pad behind the carb, yet the HL19E doesn't have anyplace on it to connect the line. That makes me think it originaly had a flatback. I'm going to pull and read that tag under the RH carb bolt. Maybe it will have a clue (if it's even from this saw).

As a side note..............I don't think I'll offend any 'purists' when I convert this "Saw of Mystery" to LH start. Dunno if it will be a "790L" or what.....

Also check out the Briggs and Stratton starter handle. That has to go....

Last edited:
I for one will be sorely offended by anyone replacing the original McCulloch RH starter with a LH version, it is just...unatural. And what ever you do, don't even think about messing with a gear drive saw...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Sweet! You're handywork?:agree2:

So I take it I wouldn't be able to persuade you to sell me a LH start starter screen and clutch cover from your "West Coast Big Box of McCulloch" stash to put in the box with the 550? I already have a starter and flywheel from a 200 plus a non-starter clutch...

Last edited:
As I understand it, the flywheel cover for the "Super Series" engines including the 700/800/CP/SP models are somewhat unique. I am not sure that I have a flywheel cover with the appropriate holes for mounting the starter.

I should be able to find a starter from the big box if that helps.

Mark

As I understand it, the flywheel cover for the "Super Series" engines including the 700/800/CP/SP models are somewhat unique. I am not sure that I have a flywheel cover with the appropriate holes for mounting the starter.

I should be able to find a starter from the big box if that helps.

Mark

The starter I have from Randy's 200 parts saw fits my Mystery Saw flywheel cover perfectly (already checked). The cover has the bosses for the starter retaining nuts cast into it. Even has little dimples cast into the bosses to help pilot a drill bit. I tried fitting the 200 flywheel cover on the saw first, but that cover definitely doesn't fit the larger top-tank saws. Your memory is correct.

As for the pawls and springs........should I swap on the flywheel from the 200 (will it work on the 'super series' engine) or should I tap out the pawl pins from the 200 flywheel and install the bits on my Mystery Saw flywheel? That flywheel is machined for the LH start pawls and pins already.

All I realy need at this point for the convesion is a starter screen (Randy's 200 didn't have one) and an adjuster-equipped non RH-start clutch cover (also missing from the 200). Randy gave me a non-starter type clutch assembly.

Do you have an extra front handle bar (and handle brace) for these saws that you'd part with? Mine's pretty trashed. I think I'm starting to impose here. I'll pay for the parts of course. Hope to have that 77 back together for you soon soon (this weekend).

Got a bit more cleaning out to do, then I need to cut a new metering chamber to venturi/handle housing gasket and dig out a couple of o-rings for the impulse tube. On this saw that's a short alluminum tube with a spring, two sliding washers, and two (dead) rubber seals that goes between the impulse port on the crankcase and a port in the the lower tank casting (which houses the pump section of the carb system). The pump diaphragm looks great. The metering diaphragm will hopefuly be good enough to work. The saw's going to need a thorough cleaning, tear down, and gasket replacement. You shouldn't need to get into the crankcase however.

Last edited:
The original perforated steel starter screens are a bit hard to find in good condition, I may have one floating around up in the attic, if not, Bob Johnson has the plastic ones like you would find on the SP125's, etc.

The flywheel from the 200 will work, I recently swapped the flywheel from a 200 to my SP105 (the one I traded for the Super 797), parts are exactly the same and the 200 already has the pawls and springs in place.

I am sure I can find a clutch cover from a 200 Series saw, and they will fit and work, but they are not the same as the cover on an SP125 and may nneed a little modification to fit up in the top left hand corner above the muffler and below the fuel tank.

SP125
attachment.php

Super 250
attachment.php

Mark

One more thing before I head off for work....

I just noticed that the paint on the engine block is much more orange than what's on the rest of the saw. Is this 'normal'........of does it look like the block has been swapped here? Saw of Mystery.....:confused:

The original perforated steel starter screens are a bit hard to find in good condition, I may have one floating around up in the attic, if not, Bob Johnson has the plastic ones like you would find on the SP125's, etc.

The flywheel from the 200 will work, I recently swapped the flywheel from a 200 to my SP105 (the one I traded for the Super 797), parts are exactly the same and the 200 already has the pawls and springs in place.

I am sure I can find a clutch cover from a 200 Series saw, and they will fit and work, but they are not the same as the cover on an SP125 and may need a little modification to fit up in the top left hand corner above the muffler and below the fuel tank.

SP125
attachment.php

Super 250
attachment.php

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark. I believe I've seen a few perforated metal screens on ebay recently. Same with clutch covers if you don't have one that'd work for me that you'd want to part with...

The drawing of a McCulloch 795L (or was it a 797L....can't remember now) that I saw on a photo of the cover of an IPL listed on ebay had a clutch cover that looked like one from a 200 series saw. Same for the drawing/pic in the Acre's site listing for a McCulloch 795L or 797L. I can't get onto Mike's site at the moment to get the link though.

Don't know if there's any differences in the cover (vs a 200 series cover). If somebody has an IPL for a 795L or 797L I could compare numbers. Randy probably does. I like the look of that cover on the 'L' saws...

I like the pic of the Super 250 BTW. I may still work out a deal with Tim for his. Gotta have a Super 250 someday. Randy has poisoned my mind...:cheers:

The carb is a Tillotson HL19E. Randy's 790 also has a square muffler, but with the wide rectangular outlet (like Mark's 740 in the pics he posted earlier).

Meant to say it looks like a choke flatback, but anyway...

Look close at your muffler and the one on Mark's 125. They appear to be the same. I was under the impression that this muffler was different from the box mufflers found on 1-70/80/700/800/CP125s and you could not mount them to each other because the bolt locations were different. I may be wrong on this. I thought I read it somewhere on McBob's page. More cranial lube anyone?

Meant to say it looks like a choke flatback, but anyway...

Look close at your muffler and the one on Mark's 125. They appear to be the same. I was under the impression that this muffler was different from the box mufflers found on 1-70/80/700/800/CP125s and you could not mount them to each other because the bolt locations were different. I may be wrong on this. I thought I read it somewhere on McBob's page. More cranial lube anyone?

I haven't pulled the muffler yet. It is in rough shape, and may well have been 'modified' to work on this saw. I had already noticed that it took the round SA insert like an SP105/125...

Cranial lube will have to wait 'til tomorrow. I'm probably gonna be late for work as it is.....:censored:

Mac 35 gear drive

I was offered a Mac 35 today it's the old gear drive one. In remarkably good condition even the bar and chain were good and it looked to have had little use with almost all of the original paint in place. Ran good but seemed to be running rich, what are these worth ?

Thanks Tim

Had some time to do some little things as I clean out the shop and get ready for a sell off. Last couple of nights have been spent giving the Super 797 and the 795 a mullet!

Business in the front,
attachment.php

Party in the rear.
attachment.php

Still need to polish them better, but I ran out of polishing compound.

Mac 35s are particularly valueable, but they grunt like nothing you've run before.

To TM - I think CPR meant to say NOT particularly valuable due to the number of machines produced.

The grunt factor however is true indeed. I recommend you pick it up cheap and bring it to the GTG in November. Maybe my brother will bring his NIB unit along for comparison.

There are a number of attachments for the 33/35 model saws like brush cutters, drills, ice and earth augers, etc. I have the "dynamite" drill with about a 2" auger bit for drilling stumps for blasting.

Mark

Had some time to do some little things as I clean out the shop and get ready for a sell off. Last couple of nights have been spent giving the Super 797 and the 795 a mullet!

Business in the front,
attachment.php

Party in the rear.
attachment.php

Still need to polish them better, but I ran out of polishing compound.

Looking sweet.
A bit more elbow grease and they will shine.
Isn't the 795 suppose to have the decomp. I see
the little holder but no lever.

Lee

Latest posts

Back