McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R w

Does that mean yes you know or yes they came in both colors? Seriously how do I tell exactly what year I have?

R w

Randy,
I Borrowed a mac 10-10 from my cousin, his dad left it to him. I loved it. He told me that they don't make them any more and that they can be repaired. Well one thing led to another and I found one on E-bay Run's great however kill switch does not work and missing pin to throttle to lock open. My cousin's has a 20 in blade an it is great. Is this ok for the machine and can the other things be fixed ok? I will look for the date thanks for the info.

A 20" bar is fine, McCulloch optimistically spec'ed them for up to 28".
On the tag will be a series number, we can get a ballpark year from that.
10-10s are very repairable.

My dad has a Pro Mac 850 he uses for firewood cutting, also has a previous pm850 that was race ported he use to use for firewood cutting he ended seizing it up was always using starting fluid on it to start when cold wouldn't start otherwise. one hell of a saw though.

Maybe I am goofy!
I guess I thought the primer pulled from the tank but you are saying it pulls through the carb from the tank. I was just wondering if the top or the bottom line in the tank gets the filter but I guess if the one is a return it would make sense for it to be shorter and the top one, let the long one with the filter move better underneath it.

Thanks for the correction :cheers:

No you are not goofy

I noticed someone on facebook poked me i getting ready to poke them back lol yep they on this mcculloch thread lol

Last edited:
About a year ago I picked up this McCulloch 250 for a parts saw for $40 bucks. Owner said it didn't run, and was a goner.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yesterday I drug it out of the shed to mess with it... dumped out all the seperated varnish smellin' premix that was in it. Cleaned out the tank with straight gas. Dumped that out. Refueled with fresh premix, primed the carb, and it started on about the 5th pull. Then it died... and it sounded weird... I went to pull the plug, and it was finger tight. Tightened that up, and pulled on it again... fired and ran like a top on the second pull... :clap:

So my $40 dollar "junker" parts saw is a good runner... cool... I'm stoked. I'm going clean it up a little, do some work to the bar, put a new chain on it... and give it to one of my buddies that's just starting out in this hobby. He is gonna crap when I hand it to him and tell him "It's yours mang." :)

Gary

About a year ago I picked up this McCulloch 250 for a parts saw for $40 bucks. Owner said it didn't run, and was a goner.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yesterday I drug it out of the shed to mess with it... dumped out all the seperated varnish smellin' premix that was in it. Cleaned out the tank with straight gas. Dumped that out. Refueled with fresh premix, primed the carb, and it started on about the 5th pull. Then it died... and it sounded weird... I went to pull the plug, and it was finger tight. Tightened that up, and pulled on it again... fired and ran like a top on the second pull... :clap:

So my $40 dollar "junker" parts saw is a good runner... cool... I'm stoked. I'm going clean it up a little, do some work to the bar, put a new chain on it... and give it to one of my buddies that's just starting out in this hobby. He is gonna crap when I hand it to him and tell him "It's yours mang." :)

Gary

Good for you Gary! Love those Old Macs. Glad to see you getting another one going, and hooking your friend up (and just plain hooking him...................on CAD). What pickup is that 250 sittin' in? I love the Old Iron!!!:cheers:

That is my 1972 GMC Pro Street Muscle Truck, 425 hp SBC... :) Here is my '72 and my Dad's '70 Chevy...

attachment.php

The guy I'm giving the 250 to, is the same cat that I let run my 795 and my Homelite 770G. When he buried the 36" bar on the 795 in a 40" cottonwood round... he was hooked. :)

Gary

Nice trucks Gary.:cheers:
I used to have a 69 chevy with a 350 built up a little.

Good of you to give that guy the 250 saw.

Gary

Way to pay it forward mang!!!!...:clap::clap::clap::cheers::cheers:

Thanks guys:
RandyMac
Jacob J
leeha
heimannm
, for the governor response!

And as always Mark thanks for the pics!!
Keep us updated Tom on yours!!

I finally got around to the 790. It now is a running saw.
There are some problems that I will have to work on. One is the automatic oiler is not working. I was going to remove it and check it out. Then I found out that you have to disassemble half the saw to get it off the saw. I decided to wait and run it some more to see if it will come alive.
It does not have a throttle lock so I have to hold the throttle open for it to crank, but once it cranks it is fine, idles and opens up as it should.
Does anyone know what the governed speed should be for this saw. Tom

I finally got around to the 790. It now is a running saw.
There are some problems that I will have to work on. One is the automatic oiler is not working. I was going to remove it and check it out. Then I found out that you have to disassemble half the saw to get it off the saw. I decided to wait and run it some more to see if it will come alive.
It does not have a throttle lock so I have to hold the throttle open for it to crank, but once it cranks it is fine, idles and opens up as it should.
Does anyone know what the governed speed should be for this saw. Tom

Tom, To disassemble the oiler is pretty easy.
Remove the full wrap and 4 bolts the oil tank
comes right off.
The 790, 795 797 and so one saws never had
a throttle lock. As for the governed speed, I don't
have any spec's but Mcculloch did away with the
govenor on the 795, 895 models because they realized
they didn't need it. I think it was more for over reving
in small word or out of the wood. These saws will never over rev while in the cut. They just pull and throw chips.

Lee

Tom, To disassemble the oiler is pretty easy.
Remove the full wrap and 4 bolts the oil tank
comes right off.
The 790, 795 797 and so one saws never had
a throttle lock. As for the governed speed, I don't
have any spec's but Mcculloch did away with the
govenor on the 795, 895 models because they realized
they didn't need it. I think it was more for over reving
in small word or out of the wood. These saws will never over rev while in the cut. They just pull and throw chips.

Lee

Duh!!!! The only excuse I have is that it was quitting time and I was tired. That information helped my day.
Now the next question to save me doing a bunch of research. Do you know if this oiler is common to how many saws. Thanks Tom

Duh!!!! The only excuse I have is that it was quitting time and I was tired. That information helped my day.
Now the next question to save me doing a bunch of research. Do you know if this oiler is common to how many saws. Thanks Tom

The oiler i believe is the same for the
790, 795, 797, cp125, sp125 and all the
ones that mount to the top of the oil tank.
Most of the time the piston gets stuck and
you just have to take it apart and clean with
brake cleaner or some good solvent. If the piston
moves up and down and returns with the spring it
should pump oil. It could be dry, Try running it on
it's right side. They prime easier that way and it
might pick up the oil and start pumping.

Lee

The oiler i believe is the same for the
790, 795, 797, cp125, sp125 and all the
ones that mount to the top of the oil tank.
Most of the time the piston gets stuck and
you just have to take it apart and clean with
brake cleaner or some good solvent. If the piston
moves up and down and returns with the spring it
should pump oil. It could be dry, Try running it on
it's right side. They prime easier that way and it
might pick up the oil and start pumping.

Lee

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple SP125 parts saws. If I can't get this one to work maybe one of them will. Thanks again for the help. Tom

Latest posts

Back