McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently on display in the museum, about #10 on the list waiting for attention.

Soon, very soon I will get serious about searching out some parts that may be needed when I delve into the really old ones.

Mark

I'm thinking a search for a McCulloch 77 metering diaphragm is in your future!

47s are awesome.

I acquired one and gave it to my uncle and we were working on it last night.

Now that is an engineering masterpiece.

CT

The McCullochs of that time period (and many of the Homelites and other chainsaws of the time as well) are just fantastic displays of (over)engineering. I sincerely hope that Mark takes and posts pics when he goes through my 77 (and that 47, and...). The thing is fantastic. I've never seen castings so intricate and precise in any other piece of OPE. There's a reason why they cost around $500 in 1957. Thats around $4,000 in today's economy!:laugh:

Darn youtube appears to have dined on my 1st video... 45 degree cold start of the Super 797...

Mad as I am, here's the 2nd vid. The 1st and 3rd may have to wait upon tomorrow...

Starter rules still apply.

1-82 with 9/16 full comp followed by Super 797 with .404 skip in borer killed ash trunk. Struggled to get the 1-82 loaded up off the governor, guess I need bigger wood (or governor bypass). For those of you with a kick@$$ sound system, turn it up to 11 then pretend you can feel it...

Dammit Chris.....................where's my video link???:hmm3grin2orange:

You guys have the starting process all wrong. You flip that hog upside down :)

Nothing like that S44A when it fires up. Well to me anyways cause thats the biggest Mac I have :cry:

I got a friend that recently found a 1-53 with full wrap and decent bar on it in a old barn. Im waiting anxiously to see it.

3rd vid. Most pain I have here...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zwjr_oBWqYw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zwjr_oBWqYw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Could use a little help here with a assumed 125

Model 600076D
Serial # 14-11991
The only marking on the block is a stamped C

Look through some past posts and references to other 125 I inquired about,
But would like to make sure I am in the realm of 125!

Thanks guys!!

Could use a little help here with a assumed 125

Model 600076D
Serial # 14-11991
The only marking on the block is a stamped C

Look through some past posts and references to other 125 I inquired about,
But would like to make sure I am in the realm of 125!

Thanks guys!!

What are you not sure of?
The model and serial number are in line with being a 125.

I was hunting possible parts and crossing parts with the larger series Macs.
I noticed that there were several variations of each 125. You helped me with the "D" part on the saw as to it being a SP125C. But are there any differences or variations! The last assumption I made of one of my 125's, turned to be a SP105. Not that bad of a mistake.

Last video. 45 degrees out and so is the saw. Cold start Super 797.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsQBN8NRsWk

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zsQBN8NRsWk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zsQBN8NRsWk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Cant rep ya cpr, but great videos!! I cant wait do some more cutting on my 797. Have to wait until I get back from Georgia:cry:. After I get back I have about three prospects for wood about 24" to 30" dia. to break the saw in with. For now I will just watch your videos over and over.

Nice work CPR, I don't think I have perfected the little wrist action that you and the chain saw guy seem to have when starting the big ones.

I decided to put the kill switch back in order on my recently acquired Super 797 on Saturday. It may be possible to install the wire without removing the rear handle but that's the way I went about it. To get the choke and throttle linkages disconnected I found it easier to remove the carburetor.

While the carburetor was off I noticed the gaskets were partially blocking the throttle bore so I changed one and trimmed the other.

With the saw back together is seemed to have even more pep than before. Now I really need to find some suitable wood for that one.

Oh, by the way, it is Rh start with a spring loaded choke so you do have to use the left hand on the throttle and choke, right hand on the starter rope.

And for those not familiar with McCulloch saws with the starter pawls on the flywheel, it is always a good idea to pull the starter rope out about a foot so so when switchiing the saw off as frequently the engine will kick backwards when it stops and the pawls will engage the starter and pull the rope sharply.

Mark

Anybody know what the starting setting is for the Walbro SDC carb on a 10-10A. I put mine together today and I can get it to pop, but it will not run. Its like it gets just enough fuel to fire, and dies out.

Nice work CPR, I don't think I have perfected the little wrist action that you and the chain saw guy seem to have when starting the big ones.

Yeah I noticed he does that, too. I started doing that after one of them negatively reinforced my habits by extracting some blood. It was as if the saw was saying, "not like that, wussy." :D Now that I think about it, it was the 1-82 that did that to me and I bought it from him.

Just did some looking through the IPL to see if I could find what I might have screwed up. Would having the diaphragm and the gasket reversed be enough to not allow it to run. I am thinking if that is not the reason it is a contributing factor.

Latest posts

Back