McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the offer. I'm going to check here in town first (Orschlen Farm & Home was an old Mac dealer).

I think the 14" off my 2014 will fit for a trial run.

The bars off my Devil Beaver 2.0, Mac 110 and the 2014 I cleaned up for dad are all identical.

DO NOT keep your 2.0 and 2014 in the same building or you will have big problems wi...:taped:

I have a box of little plastic saw crap, remains of several. Let me know if you need something, shoot me a pm, pay shipping and I'll ship the ####ing stuff to you.
:hmm3grin2orange:

I can leave the little ones alone, the 10 series is another story.

Sit down and listen.
You're married and no ones told you about the 50/50/90 rule yet? If you have equal odds in making a choice involving women, theres a 90% chance you will make the wrong one. Sometimes, I'm not saying they aren't manly saws or that it doesn't take a man to run one, Macs are lot like women in that it takes a lot of prep to get them to put out, know of what I speak, Grasshopper?

LOL, that makes complete sense. Funny thing is though, I give the Macs what they want and they give me what I want. Dosnt always work that way with the wife.:givebeer:

I found the timing hole on the 1-70, I should have taken some pics but forgot. :cry:

The hole is under the saw and allows the timing pin (I cut off a 1/4" drill bit to make a pin) to slide through the case behind the flywheel into a hole in the back of the flywheel. This locks the engine at the proper position to set the points (just breaking) and in turn this sets the timing.

After I did this the saw started on the second pull and never died. It was less than 60° in the shop at the time. It revs nicely and started again on the first pull a few minutes later. Now to get it in some wood!

Thanks Brian13 for posting the info to get me looking in the right direction. :bowdown:

Had absolutely no clue what you were asking for, but remember seeing that when looking for info on setting points. Glad it helped though.:clap:

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to check here in town first (Orschlen Farm & Home was an old Mac dealer).

I think the 14" off my 2014 will fit for a trial run.

You still have an Orschlen's? Whats your zip code in the land that time forgot?

Caleath - Your 2-10 will be equipped with the McCulloch/Walbro 10 Series flat back AKA Bullfrog carburetor.

Start reading about post #4001 in this thread for a bit of information on that very special design.

Jeff - I drove past an Orschlens last week somewhere between DFW and College Station (TX), I have seen a few in CA as well though I haven't been out there in a while.

I think there may be a few over in NW Iowa as well, memory starts to play tricks on you after too many miles.

Mark

You still have an Orschlen's? Whats your zip code in the land that time forgot?

St. Joe MO. Another Orschlens in Savannah, 25 mi NE. Semi-country living with a big town 50 mi. south.

Eccentric wrote:
Be careful.......they are very prone to kickback. Resist the urge to run it one handed. Also, do not leave ethanol gas (or any stale gas) in that sucker, because you do not want to have to put lines and a carb kit in it...
Not in my vocabulary. And, yes I did peek at where the fuel filter lies. Yikes!

briantutt: Too late. Wouldn't it be incest?

Also came accross a 605 at another pawn shop. They wanted too much and I'd need to grow 6" and gain 50# of muscle.

I may go back and have 'em do a demo run just for :censored: meaness.

Last edited:
I have a box of little plastic saw crap, remains of several. Let me know if you need something, shoot me a pm, pay shipping and I'll ship the ####ing stuff to you.

Yep. I've never persued the little macs. The damn things keep showing up when least expected though. Got another freebee 110 with a buncha XL12's and a Remington that a fellow who answered my CL ad gave me. Couldn't turn down the damn thing. I'll toss it into the same box where the other 110 mess is and forget about it.

I've been able to leave the 10 series alone so far. There was a rash of them here on CL recently. Passed them all up. Don't have a negative opinion of them at all (unlike the little mini stinkers). I'm just happy enough with my XL12's that I can focus my Yellow Fever on the big Macs. If I see a gear drive X-10 saw I'll be sure to grab it for you though!:givebeer:

LOL, that makes complete sense. Funny thing is though, I give the Macs what they want and they give me what I want. Dosnt always work that way with the wife.:givebeer:

Now that's funny Brian. My wife made the mistake of telling me she likes this hobby yesterday (in comparison to my other hobbies, which are too expensive and take up too much time). Boy did she step in it! She did tell me I need to lay off the purchases for a bit though...:cheers:

Had absolutely no clue what you were asking for, but remember seeing that when looking for info on setting points. Glad it helped though.:clap:

Good job Brian!:clap:

Not in my vocabulary. And, yes I did peek at where the fuel filter lies. Yikes!

That's not the bad part either. They're not impossible to work on, but not fun either. A person does get a perverse sense of accomplishment when successfuly taking one apart and putting it back together (and having it run). The feeling's not worth the frustration for me though. For others....:dizzy:

Eccentric wrote:
A person does get a perverse sense of accomplishment when successfuly taking one apart and putting it back together (and having it run). The feeling's not worth the frustration for me though. For others....

Got paid for putting things back together for 30 years. Makes it more fun to do it for myself and my neighbors. "Neighborhood fix it Geezer"

Got paid for putting things back together for 30 years. Makes it more fun to do it for myself and my neighbors. "Neighborhood fix it Geezer"

I worked for Sears Service in the '90s repairing OPE. Did it for a local city rec and parts department for a few years before that. I have to agree that doing it 'on the side' does make it much more fun. Still, it took me a number of years after that to get back into saws and such as a hobby. I amused myself with shooting, hunting, and motorcycles instead. The saws I kept had a long lonely wait in the garage during that time.

When I said "that feeling's not worth the frustration for me" I was refering specificaly to those damn mini-mac saws. The frustration/fun ratio just isn't skewed right for me with those damn things. Put enough of them back together to suit me. I'm having fun now with the old McCullochs (non mini-macs) and Homelites (no XL2's or 150's for me)..:cheers:

briantutt: Too late. Wouldn't it be incest?

How else do you thing the mutant design was created?

Oh and by the way...when you do get it running remember to resist the temptation to take it all the way to max power or the raw torque will actually transform the chain into old style Powersharp...(at least that's the theory Jeff and I formed on where that loop came from in the box) :chainsaw:

How else do you thing the mutant design was created?

Oh and by the way...when you do get it running remember to resist the temptation to take it all the way to max power or the raw torque will actually transform the chain into old style Powersharp...(at least that's the theory Jeff and I formed on where that loop came from in the box) :chainsaw:

Yup, noticed that right away. Wishin' it had a rear trigger like the XL2.

SP125C has arrived

Sawbones' SP125C has arrived safe and sound at its new home in Tennessee. I need to get it in some hardwood this weekend before this puppy gets homesick and starts whinning.

Yes, I'll try to get some pictures.

First impression - easy to start and not as loud at WOT as I expected but that idle - gotta love it.

I will need :help: on some issues so please put up with me. Ron

Sawbones' SP125C has arrived safe and sound at its new home in Tennessee. I need to get it in some hardwood this weekend before this puppy gets homesick and starts whinning.

Yes, I'll try to get some pictures.

First impression - easy to start and not as loud at WOT as I expected but that idle - gotta love it.

I will need :help: on some issues so please put up with me. Ron

Congrats on a very nice saw.
I have a few of them puppys,
And always fun to run.

So lets see them pic's

Lee

Do any vendors have 55627A gasket for 790 fuel tanks as used on 790, 640, and other large saws? Have other people made this themselves? Are there any photocopied "patterns to copy" available?
Thanks!

I will need help on some issues SP125C

Sawbones says the oiler is weak. I should start with examining the check valve first - right?

The bar is an Oregon Super Tronic roller 2858 - A095. The chain is a .050" gauge 3/8" pitch. My gut tells me that the bar numbers mean 28" long .058" gauge A095 motor mount. My tape says the bar has a no dog working length of 28". My caliper tells me that the rail groove is .063" so I believe that the .050 gauge chain shouldn't be used. But what do I really know - nothing other than I don't want to special order the wrong chain for it (96 drive links). HELP, what gauge chain should I order? Thanks, Ron

Sometimes, you get a feeling and go with it. .063 chain is used a lot when an .058 bar gets worn. If you have some .063, pull it in the bar and if it slides without too much friction, there you go. You could always buy some .058, have it slop back and forth, so you can't cut even with you bad selfs new chain. I'd tell you to just scrap the bar and then get the whole set up, but...:D

Plastic? The main housing on this one is metal.:D

Looking at my Clymer manual, I find that there are twenty three variations of your basic Mini-Mac saw. You can have a huge collection for cheap.:clap:

Latest posts

Back