McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plastic? The main housing on this one is metal.:D

Looking at my Clymer manual, I find that there are twenty three variations of your basic Mini-Mac saw. You can have a huge collection for cheap.:clap:

If you have all 23 variations, and they run, and you fix em up yourself, you have too much time, too much money and really have a problem with hoarding.

McCulloch Bar question

I have struck out on my Oregon bar question so how about a McCulloch bar question: How many drive links of .404 for a 36" MAC sprocket nose Part # 91324? Just picked one up on EBay for more than I wanted to pay but desperate men do desperate things. Thanks, Ron

Is that the one that they posted, like, 2 hours ago? Guess I scratch that off my watch list... :popcorn:

BTW, flatback carb kit in da house today... Just need that chain and some time...

Is that the one that they posted, like, 2 hours ago? Guess I scratch that off my watch list... :popcorn:

BTW, flatback carb kit in da house today... Just need that chain and some time...

Posted today as a new bar buy it now. I took an educated gamble that it would fit a SP125C as I don't recall MAC offering over a 33" bar for the 10 series and the guide bar slot looked wide. Really didn't want to pay that much but the old roller nose bars seem to hit north of $100 before shipping. I will probably sell my 28" Oregon roller nose as I am certain that it is .058 and I don't want to be switching sprockets. Sawbones said it was NOS when he put it on the MAC this year. It looks to have no use but it also looks like it was on a saw that sat as the first 3 1/2 inches is pristine the rest is surface rust with the painted logo still intact at the tip end. Ron

Sprockets don't care how wide (what gauge) the chain is, or for that matter what pitch (3/8's, .325, .404) it is. They just grab the next drive link and throw it around the bar. The pitch of the chain should match the sprocket to enhance the life of each, however, and the gauge of chain should match the bar grove, again to provide long life and ease of use.

Sprockets don't care how wide (what gauge) the chain is, or for that matter what pitch (3/8's, .325, .404) it is. They just grab the next drive link and throw it around the bar. The pitch of the chain should match the sprocket to enhance the life of each, however, and the gauge of chain should match the bar grove, again to provide long life and ease of use.

I follow you on the gauge but not on the pitch as I though that both the drive sprocket and the nose sprocket are matched to the pitch. I'm going with .404 pitch which I can only find in .063" gauge which won't fit in my .058" gauge bar. I know the roller nose doesn't care what pitch and I know that some rollers are listed to run both .058" and .063". My new bar is a sprocket nose in .404" pitch and .063" gauge. Ron

I follow you on the gauge but not on the pitch as I though that both the drive sprocket and the nose sprocket are matched to the pitch. I'm going with .404 pitch which I can only find in .063" gauge which won't fit in my .058" gauge bar. I know the roller nose doesn't care what pitch and I know that some rollers are listed to run both .058" and .063". My new bar is a sprocket nose in .404" pitch and .063" gauge. Ron

Drive sprocket don't care what the gauge is, only the pitch.

Nose sprockets are almost always .063 so they work with any chain guage as well, but of course need to match the pitch.

While it may be possible to run a .050 chain in a .058 bar, or .058 chain in a .063 bar my experience is they won't cut straight so match the gauge to the bar, and the sprockets to the pitch.

Clear as mud now?

Mark

Drive sprocket don't care what the gauge is, only the pitch.

Nose sprockets are almost always .063 so they work with any chain guage as well, but of course need to match the pitch.

While it may be possible to run a .050 chain in a .058 bar, or .058 chain in a .063 bar my experience is they won't cut straight so match the gauge to the bar, and the sprockets to the pitch.

Clear as mud now?

Mark

Thanks for weighing in. You and I are saying the same thing. You are speaking from experience and I only from deduction which with my brain is frequently wrong. Ron

Seller just put another one up - same picture but raised the price by $10. Shipping is steep but it is the same I had to pay.

Time for a video :biggrinbounce2:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bTxZ-KltDao?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bTxZ-KltDao?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I have struck out on my Oregon bar question so how about a McCulloch bar question: How many drive links of .404 for a 36" MAC sprocket nose Part # 91324? Just picked one up on EBay for more than I wanted to pay but desperate men do desperate things. Thanks, Ron

Rats. Same for me too Chris...

Hmmmm, now that you made an offer to.....

Oh Dear Lord....:hmm3grin2orange:

Ok I know this still isnt a real piece of wood, but I couldnt wait until I got back from Georgia to try it out with a new chain. I think I have it tuned pretty well, and seems to be cutting well. A new chain makes a huge difference. I love running this saw!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOhnyoSucaQ

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wOhnyoSucaQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wOhnyoSucaQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Adjustable carb

Hey fellas,
Do any of you have a good source for the carbs that came on the CP125?
They don't have the fixed high-side. I wanna replace the fixed unit in my SP125. Thanks,
Igpoe:cheers:

Hey fellas,
Do any of you have a good source for the carbs that came on the CP125?
They don't have the fixed high-side. I wanna replace the fixed unit in my SP125. Thanks,
Igpoe:cheers:

Hi,

The early SP125's were also fitted with the adjustable carb as opposed to the fixed high side carb (SP125C).

These carbs can be found around the place, but often get snapped up for the very reason that you are chasing one! I have seen them on ebay from time to time as well.

I must say that my SP125C saws (fixed carb) run very well with their current set up.

Best of luck in finding a carb for your saw.

Regards,

Chris.

Latest posts

Back