McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Answered my bar questions

The Oregon 2858 - A095 is a .058 gauge bar.

The MAC 36" #91324 UM takes 108 drive links per the seller of the bar and Harry Wallenburg.

Special thanks to Bailey's for referring me to Wallenburg Sales for correct information even though it meant giving up a chain sale. I'll make it up to Bailey's with my continued business. Ron

Looks good Brian, Those 797's are a blast to run.

Lee

Looks like it is running good, Brian. Awesome saw!

:chainsawguy:

Thanks, the new chain made a big difference. Got to run the Super 250 too. Sorry didnt get a video of that. Made me realize I need a new chain for that one. I am slowly starting to realize these saws are loud. Need to start wearing hearing protection LOL.

Is that saw got the mcculloch flat back type ? or is it a standard carb ?

any #s and letters on the carb ?

thanks
calvin

Hi,

The CP125 and SP125 saws were not fitted with the old flatback carbs. The part No. for the adjustable SP125 carb is: 83550. This is the McCulloch SDC carb which was fitted to the CP125 as well.
The CP125 was also fitted with an adjustable Tillotson carb - Part No. 69373.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chris.

Ok I know this still isnt a real piece of wood, but I couldnt wait until I got back from Georgia to try it out with a new chain. I think I have it tuned pretty well, and seems to be cutting well. A new chain makes a huge difference. I love running this saw!!

No smaller than the twigs I was whackin' in my vids last weekend. Heck, limb with it, just run it! Looks and sounds great. My only comment is make them cookies thinner so you can have even more fun. How'd you get through that without earplugs? You're tougher than I...

BTW, Super 250 went back together tonight, although I don't have the bumper spike and 3/8 chain yet. It still has the .404 spur on so I tossed on a 36" bar and .404 skip for the morning test fire... Ultimately it's getting a 28" roller with 3/8 full comp and I'll have to test 7 pin vs. 8.

No smaller than the twigs I was whackin' in my vids last weekend. Heck, limb with it, just run it! Looks and sounds great. My only comment is make them cookies thinner so you can have even more fun. How'd you get through that without earplugs? You're tougher than I...

BTW, Super 250 went back together tonight, although I don't have the bumper spike and 3/8 chain yet. It still has the .404 spur on so I tossed on a 36" bar and .404 skip for the morning test fire... Ultimately it's getting a 28" roller with 3/8 full comp and I'll have to test 7 pin vs. 8.

LOL, tougher? Probably more like less common sense. Like my dad used to say, I need to start using my head for something other than a hat rack. Honestly I have never wore hearing protection for anything except shooting. And that was only because I had to.

Excited to run the Super 250 yet?

LOL, tougher? Probably more like less common sense. Like my dad used to say, I need to start using my head for something other than a hat rack. Honestly I have never wore hearing protection for anything except shooting. And that was only because I had to.

Excited to run the Super 250 yet?

Tough?
In my expirience, it's not the actual loss of hearing that plauges me, it's that varible pitched ringing, singing and roaring.
Plug or cover those holes in your head.

Itchin'. Gotta send the girls off to dance. Then it's ropin' time.

Make sure there is a video!

Tough?
In my expirience, it's not the actual loss of hearing that plauges me, it's that varible pitched ringing, singing and roaring.
Plug or cover those holes in your head.

Ahh the ringing, I think that is what is telling me to start wearing hearing protection, before it gets worse. I already cant sleep with complete silence. Need to start digging through my shooting stuff to find my ear plugs.

Well, it sorta runs. Had it going for about 15 seconds before it died. It'll fire off when you pull the rope and quits just as soon. I'll pull the carb this afternoon and check it. I have no doubt I dislodged some hunk of crap and now it's blocking a passage. Happens quite a lot. BTW, working on the flatback wasn't too bad although I didn't pop any welch plugs because I don't have new ones.

Also have to get a new bottom bracket from the crankcase to the rear handle. Never noticed before today that it is broken right at the back handle. Any from a 200/300/600 or 1-50 series should work right?

Nope. I see one on feebay for $10, but I gotta take my son to hockey practice. Won't be back 'til later.

If your not in a hurry, I should have a spare. I can check when I get home tomorrow. Only problem is I wont Be able to get to the post office until the beginning of Dec. when I get back home.

SP125C vs. 42" hardwood

Tried out the 125 bucking some big hardwood today. I could hardly sleep last night waiting for this opportunity. Boy was I disapppointed ... in the tree - it was an old poplar. I thought they had sent me after an oak. It literally took me longer to suit up (bought a set of ear muffs and had to adjust them) and crank the saw than it did to make 5 cuts. Only if you put the saw in a bind would it even begin to bog. Never wore muffs when sawing before (just plugs) but the 125 sounded very similar to my PM700 which is slower than a PM800 in rpms. Don't have a tach and really don't care so long as she cuts. Couldn't try the PM800 with my muffs as I found that I have ripped off another cutter. Maybe another day.

Went and checked out another tree for next weekend - (or maybe later today if I can't contain myself) a 52" red oak :blob2: Can't wait for next weekend and the arrival of my 36" bar. Just hope the 125 doesn't look weird with a long skinny bar.

Below are a few pictures. The poplar from today and one of several maples I cut with the PM800 a few weeks back. Also a shot that shows the 125 dogs versus the 800 dog results in almost 2" of bar loss. My shots of the ripped off cutter didn't focus. Ron

42 inch Poplar round SP125C 28" bar
attachment.php

40 inch Maple oval PM800 28" bar
attachment.php

28 inch bar comparison
attachment.php

"Ahh the ringing, I think that is what is telling me to start wearing hearing protection, before it gets worse. I already cant sleep with complete silence. Need to start digging through my shooting stuff to find my ear plugs."

Get something now. I don't know how old you are (i.e. how far gone you are already), but the sooner you protect yourself the better unless you like what RandyMac describes or just nodding your head a lot - once you damaged your hearing there's no going back.

I enjoy your writeups - keep it at it. Ron

Back