McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of ole MAC 610s. Can't seem to get rid of em.

I just restored Dad's 650 to working order. Got sick of it sitting and not running. BIL will now be responsible for it. I don't need it, and he just started burning wood in his new place. I like them when they run, but I like them better in somebody else's hands.

There were aftermarket and later factory conversion setups that put a divider in the gas tank, making the front section an oil tank with the manual oiler pump incorporated into it. That's why your saw has the oiler in the funny spot. There were actualy a few variations on oiler placement, but they're all up front.

I will take a picture of it and get it posted on here. That must be why the gas tank is so big. It seems like it holds a half a gallon of gas.

Maybe not easy to see but there is a hole eaten in the fan housing and corrosion on the bottom of the engine block.

View attachment 161173

I suppose it was caused by a long sit on a wet concrete floor.

Didn't hurt the runnin' if him none.

That's indeed from sitting on a concrete floor. Doesn't even have to be a wet floor. The condensation on the bottom of the saw is enough to get things going on concrete. Seen it many times...

Hmm...

attachment.php

:D

Gary

Trouble starting my MAC 738 - any ideas ?

Hi guys,
Newbie to the forum and quite a newbie to chainsaws really, been using a Mac 738 for a year now.

Up until recently the machine worked a treat without problems.

Recently the saw would stall on idling when put on the ground between work, OR stall just as I rev her up again to carry on working.
Started to get to the stage where I was pulling the cord like a madman to get her going again after stalling when idle, even when very warm from cutting. Never stalls at all while running at cutting speed.

I have changed the spark plug but now she won't even try to start, though I have even adjusted the gap on the plug to various gaps, still no signs of firing properly.
The best fire I got was on the first pulls on 1st choke today when all sounded fine, but then I went to start on half choke and nothing happenned, not even close to firing, choke off fully and still not firing up.

New Spark plug is wet from fuel when removed so I know fuel is getting through.

Any ideas on where to start would be appreciated.
Cheers
Mark:chainsawguy:

A 3-25 came in the other day. Had some shipping damage to the
flywheel cover. So I took one off a froze up parts saw.
Clean it up but had no yellow paint to match,so just clear coat
for now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gary-whats that under your saw, some west coast saw cozy your wife wants you to use or what? JK, no need for a tantrum, had to ask.

Ya, Have i told you lately. YOU SUCK :hmm3grin2orange:

Lee

HAHAHAHA! :laugh: I do mang!

Gary-whats that under your saw, some west coast saw cozy your wife wants you to use or what? JK, no need for a tantrum, had to ask.

No sweat mang... I save all the carboard "bottoms" out of water bottle flats and use them to set saws on. I even have my saws sitting on them on my shelves too. Helps soak up bar oil and crap... :)

Gary

Back