McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sweat mang... I save all the carboard "bottoms" out of water bottle flats and use them to set saws on. I even have my saws sitting on them on my shelves too. Helps soak up bar oil and crap... :)
Gary

I think I'll try some of my grandson's disposable diapers. He should be potty training anyway.:fart:

LMAO... :laugh:

Right here... :)

attachment.php

Gonna need some work... but it's doable.

Gary
looks like a rescue from a chicken coop!!! Hope you've got a bead blaster.:popcorn:

A 3-25 came in the other day. Had some shipping damage to the
flywheel cover. So I took one off a froze up parts saw.
Clean it up but had no yellow paint to match,so just clear coat
for now.

If you can keep it from corroding leave it. Looks bad a$$. Looks almost like it was meant to be that way.

You would be amazed at what a bead blaster, some paint, and a whole bunch of stubborn will do. The inside looked worse than the outside.

Stubborn pays off!:clap:

What's the SOP on the 10-10(ish) fuel tank leak at the hose entry? Found the carb swimming in the box after finally giving the PM 10-10S a 30 minute run. Gonna replace the carb diaphrams and gaskets just in case.

Stubborn pays off!:clap:

What's the SOP on the 10-10(ish) fuel tank leak at the hose entry? Found the carb swimming in the box after finally giving the PM 10-10S a 30 minute run. Gonna replace the carb diaphrams and gaskets just in case.

New fuel line, I always give them the proper molded one. About 15 bucks. Tried a couple with tygon, wasn't pleased with the results.

You would be amazed at what a bead blaster, some paint, and a whole bunch of stubborn will do. The inside looked worse than the outside.
attachment.php
attachment.php
Very nice befor and after pics, really shows commitment.

Please send Gary a six-pack of stubborn.:hmm3grin2orange:

Ya, Have i told you lately. YOU SUCK :hmm3grin2orange:

Lee

Ha! Even Lee gets to say it every once in a while!:hmm3grin2orange:

My Super 250 wasn't quite free................but it was damn close. Out of what he had me pay him for the saw, I think Cliff had enough left over for a rack of domestic beer after shipping costs..........maybe.:cheers:

HAHAHAHA! :laugh: I do mang!

No sweat mang... I save all the carboard "bottoms" out of water bottle flats and use them to set saws on. I even have my saws sitting on them on my shelves too. Helps soak up bar oil and crap... :)

Gary

I also use the Costco water/soda flat bottoms under powerheads......usualy the 'barn fresh' saws that I get from CL. I keep the plastic on them. Keeps the oil weepage, chips, and other scuz off of the shelves until I have a chance to clean the saws up. Also protects the powerheads from white death if they have to sit on a concrete floor for a little while.

Very nice befor and after pics, really shows commitment.

Please send Gary a six-pack of stubborn.:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks!!! That one was honestly ready for the big timber forests in the skies. If it wasnt my grandfathers,then fathers, and now mine I dont think I would have bothered. It is now my favorite saw though.

Ya gotta keep those old family heirlooms, and hang onto a couple of stories that go with...
This was my grandpa's, then my father's, I pulled it down from the attic in Dad's barn and got her go'in again. It's a runner, but not much fun to carry.
attachment.php

Ya gotta keep those old family heirlooms, and hang onto a couple of stories that go with...
This was my grandpa's, then my father's, I pulled it down from the attic in Dad's barn and got her go'in again. It's a runner, but not much fun to carry.

Cant agree more. My father talked about this saw most of my life, always telling me how great it was. Now that its back to life, its been kind of like a gateway saw. Never had any interest in these old saws, until I started working on this one. Now I have more Mac's than anything else. Yours looks to be in pretty good shape! Must have been stored in a building with a roof :D.

I also use the Costco water/soda flat bottoms under powerheads......usualy the 'barn fresh' saws that I get from CL. I keep the plastic on them. Keeps the oil weepage, chips, and other scuz off of the shelves until I have a chance to clean the saws up. Also protects the powerheads from white death if they have to sit on a concrete floor for a little while.

You west coasters do have some great ideas every so often. Almost makes up for CARB standards, and my all time bad idea, hailing from Seattle, WA-Starbucks. Can't pin coffee on yas, that was the Muslims.

Now I need to get the flywheel off this friggin' thing. Looks like I'm gonna have to fabricate a puller.

attachment.php

There is tons of ancient grime on it too... plus the piston has some light scoring on the exhaust side. So I might need to replace that. :(

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gary

If you dig some of the layer off the flywheel you will discover two 1/4-20threaded holes for a puller. I made mine from an oversize thick washer with two holes in it.

If you have to pull the crankcase apart, there are two 1/4-20 threaded holes in the crank case cover as well, where the 10-24 screws go through to hold the cover to the crank case.

As Saw Dr. observed elsewhere, leave the flywheel nut in place when you are pulling as the flywheel often pops off quite unexpectedly and they have been known to go flying on their own, sometimes resulting in broken fins...

The crankcase cover removal...
attachment.php

Mark

Great pic Mark. I have a balancer puller just like that one. I just need to get some long bolts and some washers.

So what you're doing in that pic is pulling that left side of the case off the block?

Gary

You west coasters do have some great ideas every so often. Almost makes up for CARB standards, and my all time bad idea, hailing from Seattle, WA-Starbucks. Can't pin coffee on yas, that was the Muslims.

Thanks..............................I think...:hmm3grin2orange:

Now I need to get the flywheel off this friggin' thing. Looks like I'm gonna have to fabricate a puller.

There is tons of ancient grime on it too... plus the piston has some light scoring on the exhaust side. So I might need to replace that. :(

Gary

Looks like you're already getting into your project. Is that your first S250? If so, then you need the hat...:laugh:

Also looks like you'll be seaching for a piston soon. Mine looks good through the exhaust ports, but compression is LOW. The ring gap (again, looking through the ports) is HUGE......probably at least .125". There's some 'clunkin' inside that I don't like when I pull the saw over 'briskly'. Probably bearings. I'm hoping I can get away with a new set of rings, along with gaskets, seals, and bearings. Won't know until I get in there and check things out.

If you dig some of the layer off the flywheel you will discover two 1/4-20threaded holes for a puller. I made mine from an oversize thick washer with two holes in it.

If you have to pull the crankcase apart, there are two 1/4-20 threaded holes in the crank case cover as well, where the 10-24 screws go through to hold the cover to the crank case.

As Saw Dr. observed elsewhere, leave the flywheel nut in place when you are pulling as the flywheel often pops off quite unexpectedly and they have been known to go flying on their own, sometimes resulting in broken fins...

The crankcase cover removal...

Mark

Great info Mark. I'll be doing that with a few saws soon. Didja receive the 77 yet? Should be there any day now...:cheers:

Looks like you're already getting into your project. Is that your first S250? If so, then you need the hat...:laugh:

Also looks like you'll be seaching for a piston soon. Mine looks good through the exhaust ports, but compression is LOW. The ring gap (again, looking through the ports) is HUGE......probably at least .125". There's some 'clunkin' inside that I don't like when I pull the saw over 'briskly'. Probably bearings. I'm hoping I can get away with a new set of rings, along with gaskets, seals, and bearings. Won't know until I get in there and check things out.

The Hat... :laugh: I forgot about that...

Yep... first one. Plus this will be the first McCulloch that I completely disassemble. I already have a line on a piston and rings. Plus some other parts. :)

Gary

Latest posts

Back