McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McCulloch's Production Run Dates.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great information Cliff, but there is a problem...now I realize how many more saws I have to find just to have exmples of all the one man models offered.

Still missing: 73, 49, Super 55A, 1-72, 1-75, 1-76, 1-80, 1-81, 1-82, 1-86, Super 550, 795L, 797, 890, 895, 895C, 2-10PS, 2-10A, 2-10PS, 2-10G, Super 2-10A, 3-10, 4-10, 5-10A, 5-10G, 6-10, 6-10A, lots of 10-10 variations, all of the 10 Series gear drives, LH start CP-55, CP-125, Pro-Mac 60, SP-70, PM-105, and a few of the PM 6 and MM 6 variations.

Just when I thought I was getting along nicely...

Mark

Last edited:
MR Bow Saw, thanks for posting, now saved in my archives of Mac history.

Mark, Is the 640 with the black gear case, the same one you posted bout a year ago? With cancerous damage to the gear side cover?
If so she looks like it turned out real good.

MAC production history

Thanks so much for posting. This fills in the blanks on the old Kart motors that have left my brain cells (we had -5,-6,&-10 &-20), and helps muco iwth the SAW ID that I am just starting.

Mark, Is the 640 with the black gear case, the same one you posted bout a year ago? With cancerous damage to the gear side cover?
If so she looks like it turned out real good.

ds - That is the same one. After sand blasting the case inside and out, I had to use a little JB Weld here and there to take care of some holes, the a coat of POR 15 for the gear case and the fuel tank and finally back together again.

Starts and runs fine, but since I have a few other options and some that are more entertaining, the 640 has been relegated to the shelf for display...for now anyway.

Mark

In truth I have only used one saw from new to finish, a 621 Jonsered that I ran as my primary saw for 26 years before finally failing the PTO side bearing and spitting the balls up through the piston/cylinder. Then I found AS and got interested in my old McCulloch's again, and the rest is here for all to see.

I have failed a couple of used saws, a 10-10 and a Pro Mac 55 but they were both pretty well used when we (my sons and I) started with them.

One of the advantages of have many saws to choose from is that none will every get too much use, and I can always simply pick up another and finish any task at hand. The biggest problem now is when we go to cut, we have so many saws along there isn't as much room to haul wood home...

Mark

You need a Bigger truck or two trucks!!!
I do struggle with which ones to take. Some times the task at hand dictates the saw, big wood= big saw. If i have to hike, or climb to get to the work, then small and light.
When cutting firewood I'll take three, and generally use two. Just to rotate the stock. My goto firewood saw is the old 1-53. It's very reliable, and has a full wrap and 24" bar, it handles most the crappy jobs. :chainsawguy:

And a P.S. as well, I got home from Argentina today and had to carry a large box back from the post office this afternoon. I will get some pictures of the newly arrived McCulloch 77 up before the week is over. Mark

Glad to hear it arrived Mark. Did the bar arrive too? I reused your bar box and sent it at the same time as the powerhead box. Didn't have any black and/or yellow tape though. However, McCulloch did use silver paint on some of thier bars, and on powerheads on rare occasions...:D

That was a big, heavy damn box. 48 pounds six ounces between the powerhead, chain, and all the packing material. The little old USPS guy about ruptured himself when he lifted it off the counter scale and moved it behind him...:laugh:

You need to update your sig. Need to add the 77 and remove one 550 (unless you still have two 550's)...:cheers:

I walked over to the post office yesterday and struggled home with the box, good thing is I only live a couple of blocks away.

Actually the bar showed up several days ago, my wife reported on that while I was away.

I still have to dig through the box and find the chain, the sprocket looks to be 9/16" pitch. Did you find the other rubber grip amongst the paper with the 550?

Mark

2-10 wowes

Man I thought I had this thing licked, not to be. I had it all back together running good. Thought it might be ok to slap a bar and chain on her and try it out. Not so good wont pull load at all. I tried all I could to get it adjusted properly, dang thing wont idle down no mater what I try. I checked gaskets etc ok. When I say wont idle I mean like 5000 rpms. Any suggestions, or am I gonna put this thing on a shelf to look at. I hope my anger does not get me to the point of giving up or worse yet...shotgun time.

Man I thought I had this thing licked, not to be. I had it all back together running good. Thought it might be ok to slap a bar and chain on her and try it out. Not so good wont pull load at all. I tried all I could to get it adjusted properly, dang thing wont idle down no mater what I try. I checked gaskets etc ok. When I say wont idle I mean like 5000 rpms. Any suggestions, or am I gonna put this thing on a shelf to look at. I hope my anger does not get me to the point of giving up or worse yet...shotgun time.

Keep chipping away at it bro, don't give up!

CT

I have followed the instructions from the manual you sent to me and the instructions from here. I am wondering about crank seals....if it had set up for a long time and I tried using it...

So where do you guys pull your vacuum/pressure at with these saws with no sense tube? Photos would be much appreciated.

I'm fairly new to two strokes but:

If that were a four stroke I'd be looking at the ignition timing, i.e. the points gap. Sounds way late. Drag a strip of copy/typing paper between the contacts. Oil is your enemy.

Was chattin' with Jacob J the other day about flywheel pullers and he suggested a steering wheel puller with long 1/4-20 bolts and some washers. So I borrowed my buddy's steering wheel puller and... it worked like a charm...

attachment.php

Then Mark showed the pic using a harmonic damper puller to take off the side of the case. I have one of those pullers, but thought I'd try out the steering wheel puller again. Worked like a charm again...

attachment.php

Looks good so far...

attachment.php

:clap:

Gary

Back