McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
set up an electrolis tank and the chain will come out like new.
Best part is the longer you leave it in the less cleanup on it you have to do.
thanks Yukon Stihl. the nose end of the chain is pretty bad, but I'll put it in some Evaporust as well as the bar and muffler for a couple of days and see what happens. haven't tried electrolysis before, does it work better than Evaporust?

I remember once we had a young lad working for us n trying out engineering a bit. Any way he was wire wheeling some rust on a couple beams. I warned him a lot and a big lesson and yeah yeah I'll be fine he said. OK ok 👍

2 min later the 5 inch grinder was tangled up in his overalls and humming n smoking as it was stalled and all wrapped up. I run over kick the plug out and he's a whimpering snivelling mess

Poor kid but I tried to teach him 😔

He never lasted

The other scary wire wheel situation is on a 9 inch grinder 😬

I look at those wire wheels and see a lot of bloody knuckles...

Mark
nah. it's only 1725 RPM and I wear a pair of cut resistant gloves and a full-face shield. also, I've been using only Weiler US made wire wheels for about 20 years. they don't throw off those nasty wire bits that stick in your clothes like the import ones do.

Once you have an e tank there is no other way. I bought a chain for a Mercury Diston that was so rusty it was all I could do to get it bent enough to get it in the tank. Now it’s coiled up and moves like new

didn't get to it yesterday, but mixed up a batch of the home brew evaporust this afternoon. formula I used:
2 gal water (cold. no HWH in my shop).
105 grams of the Tetrasodium EDTA powder.
40 grams powdered citric acid to get to a neutral PH of 7.
5 ml dawn dish soap as a surfactant.

the EDTA made the water super alkaline. in the pic I have the test strip in the middle but it really matches pretty much the max on the scale. the 40 grams of citric acid brought it right back to where it needs to be.
PXL_20231012_163709479.MP.jpgPXL_20231012_164411925.MP.jpgPXL_20231012_163851020.MP.jpgPXL_20231011_131421303.MP.jpg

Latest posts

Back