McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Test after replacing crank +bearings and resealed.
Runs,cuts and idles great!

Thanks for Interest
E.

250914d1346496764-img_0007-jpg

250915d1346496777-img_0008-jpg

250917d1346497437-img_0012-jpg

Nice to see American muscle hitting some old growth German wood.

screen

Not to nit-pick a great couple pictures, but you're wearing a helmet with both ear and eye protection. Why are you cutting without the mesh screen down?????

bob

for better seeing the weak length markings (Ear protection is a MUST with this high noise engine!)
E.

Last edited:
I have two 20 something firewood recruits to orient and I had hoped to report some MAC magic today but alas the owner of the MAC sized tree didn't call - maybe some weekend soon. I ended up working on the deuce most of the day, including using two 12/24 screws from my MAC inventory as no Saturday store here bothers to carry 12/24 screws. So today wasn't a complete bust. And as usual a MAC (okay, a part of a MAC) saved the day. Ron

I'm a new-bee Mcculloch owner of two!

Hi everyone! Great thread! Glad to say that I can NOW be apart of it! Yey! I just got a mini mac 6 I believe, (that's what the ebay guy I got it from says it is, if not, please feel free to let me know what it truly is!!!) I named him "Mac", how original, I know! Also, my dad just gave me a mac 140 that I've named "Daddy Mac", gotta be endearing! I'm currently rebuilding and restoring "Mac" as we speak! Gonna paint him "Dover White", nice classy color with Mac yellow embellishments. Will post pics when I'm done with him, hopefully tomorrw! -Michelle

Hi everyone! Great thread! Glad to say that I can NOW be apart of it! Yey! I just got a mini mac 6 I believe, (that's what the ebay guy I got it from says it is, if not, please feel free to let me know what it truly is!!!) I named him "Mac", how original, I know! Also, my dad just gave me a mac 140 that I've named "Daddy Mac", gotta be endearing! I'm currently rebuilding and restoring "Mac" as we speak! Gonna paint him "Dover White", nice classy color with Mac yellow embellishments. Will post pics when I'm done with him, hopefully tomorrw! -Michelle

Hey neighbor .... ever hear of Tannerite?

Put those MMs in a 55 gal drum with some Tannerite .... then shoot it from 300 yds away.

That is a better fate for them than the torture you will endure ... :jester:

Last edited:
Now Ted - let our new friends learn these things the same way we did. Some folks don't even mind working on them.

Mark

Ok sir .... but I was in no way expressing the thought that the MMs must be destroyed, but rather promoting the expanded use of Tannerite!

... I guess every visionary must experience a rocky road from time to time.

Now you can join Mark H. cutting that big tree down!

Welcome Michelle!

Working on a Mini Mac will really help you appreciate the design and serviceability of virtually EVERY other saw out there. Everyone should rebuild one at some point just to know the true meaning of frustration.

Was working on the PM55 today that has the fixed high jet SDC carb. I posted in another thread that they had to gaskets doubled up and took the stiffer one out and put it back together and the saw reveed up good so I went to a off site wood pile and once I got there and restarted the 55 it would once again fall on its face at full throttle:msp_confused:

So my question is will the carb off a PM700 work as a direct replacement on the 55 to see if the problem goes away?

The carb on the 55 is full of fuel everytime I take it apart. I am pretty sure it is pulling fuel just fine. I noticed if I richened the L jet the saw will rev up ok but then stalls at idle. I have put the carb through the ultrasonic cleaneer several times and all passages appear OK but I did not remove the3 welch plug. I'm begining to wonder if somethign is not rolling around under it blocking fuel and then flowing.

Trying a diffrenet carb seems like most practical way to go about this. It seems to me it is lacking fuel on the H side. I have check the fuel line and thier are no leaks and filter is good.

Also the previous owner removed the baffle deflector for the exhaust. Gosh does the thing throw the fumes directly at the face without that on there. Need to make something for that as well.

Was working on the PM55 today that has the fixed high jet SDC carb. I posted in another thread that they had to gaskets doubled up and took the stiffer one out and put it back together and the saw reveed up good so I went to a off site wood pile and once I got there and restarted the 55 it would once again fall on its face at full throttle:msp_confused:

So my question is will the carb off a PM700 work as a direct replacement on the 55 to see if the problem goes away?

The carb on the 55 is full of fuel everytime I take it apart. I am pretty sure it is pulling fuel just fine. I noticed if I richened the L jet the saw will rev up ok but then stalls at idle. I have put the carb through the ultrasonic cleaneer several times and all passages appear OK but I did not remove the3 welch plug. I'm begining to wonder if somethign is not rolling around under it blocking fuel and then flowing.

Trying a diffrenet carb seems like most practical way to go about this. It seems to me it is lacking fuel on the H side. I have check the fuel line and thier are no leaks and filter is good.

Also the previous owner removed the baffle deflector for the exhaust. Gosh does the thing throw the fumes directly at the face without that on there. Need to make something for that as well.

Did you unscrew the fixed H side jet in the metering section before cleaning things out? The PM700 carb is a direct swap. Only issue will be if the PM700 carb has the long needles that pass through a rubber grommet in the side of the carb box.................as there's no hole or grommet on the side of your fixed H-side equipped PM55...

Did you unscrew the fixed H side jet in the metering section before cleaning things out? The PM700 carb is a direct swap. Only issue will be if the PM700 carb has the long needles that pass through a rubber grommet in the side of the carb box.................as there's no hole or grommet on the side of your fixed H-side equipped PM55...

Yes I did remove the fixed jet and made sure it was clean. Does it only feed the high side from that removeable jet? Could a restriction under the welch plug cause the problem I am having?

I suppose a vacumm test of the crank case will be in order next as I haven't done that yet:msp_sad:

Yes I did remove the fixed jet and made sure it was clean. Does it only feed the high side from that removeable jet? Could a restriction under the welch plug cause the problem I am having?

I suppose a vacumm test of the crank case will be in order next as I haven't done that yet:msp_sad:

I do believe it only feeds the high side. Did you clean the passage in the carb body when you removed that jet? It is possible that there's some crap under a welch plug gumming up the works.

Latest posts

Back