McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said...

Ragtops & Rally Rabbits are for girls.

snip

Wow, all of my BS meters are being tripped... one is very angry about it and is bouncing around. Not the first time this has happened though...

bsmeter.jpg

197x135px-LL-e2402a17_bs-meter.gif

bs-meter.jpg

And where's that fake Jeep (Patriot, IIRC) I saw you crawl into when you left the tractor pull to go home? If you own (worse yet, lease or owe on) that, you should be ashamed. Jeep died when they stopped making flat fenders. Bolt on flat fenders (YJ, TJ, JK aftermarket) do not count.

Anyhow, what's up with that loud and louder muffler?

Wow, all of my BS meters are being tripped... one is very angry about it and is bouncing around. Not the first time this has happened though...

bsmeter.jpg

197x135px-LL-e2402a17_bs-meter.gif

bs-meter.jpg

And where's that fake Jeep (Patriot, IIRC) I saw you crawl into when you left the tractor pull to go home? If you own (worse yet, lease or owe on) that, you should be ashamed. Jeep died when they stopped making flat fenders. Bolt on flat fenders (YJ, TJ, JK aftermarket) do not count.

My Commander is all jeep!

Thanks for the overview and pictures!!

Many would suggest the 33/35 saws are only collectable if you are a very serious McCollector and feel the need to have everything represented. As a rule, the 33/35 saws are heavy, slow, loud, and most everything on them is unique (ignition, carburetion, bevel gears, starter, etc.) If you already understand 2 stroke theory well and don't mind doing some research and digging, go for it.

A lot of folks believe them to be rare due to the unusual angle of the bar but in fact there were many thousands made and still a lot of whole and parts saws out there plus tons of NOS parts in old dealers shops and the like.

I have quite unintentionally collected a dozen or so including one with a drill and one with an ice auger attachment, still looking for the brush cutter...

You should be able to pick up a used saw for under $25 as they are not sought after the way other models are. Regarding finding a clean, complete, running saw...perhaps not so many opportunities. My older brother did find a NIB unit a few years ago but I have not seen any others pop up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Thanks, Mark, for the great overview and pictures of a box new 35A. Very cool to see what my dad's saw would have looked like new.............however I do recall him telling me that he bought it used at a farm auction. I'd love to have something like your brother's saw as a representative model of my dad's saw/first chainsaw memories I've got.

Thanks also to MBS and Thomas1 for the additional pictures of their 33Super saws. The look of the 33Super's black/yellow/chrome combo is also quite nice in appearance. I'd be open to either model if I could find a good clean running one.

huh? The ZO6 is available as a 6 speed manual ONLY.

This, you must remember, is coming from someone that considers a Rabbit to be a performance car. (And drives a Ranger, but I can't say much about that with Mark around :msp_biggrin: )

Young Kyle has much to learn about the world yet, and much of that will be done as most of us did (and still do, at least here!), by getting it wrong the first time.

Commander.

Mythical Town & Country muffler. The only one I have seen in person, not many were made and fewer survived.

Okay... when the hell did I ever say a Rabbit was a performance car? I don't recall that. My point was that even though the car is over 20 years old, it still would beat modern hatchbacks that happen to have about the same specs. Fiesta, 500, whatever it is. It is a great car in its class. If you have any brains on racing, there are different classes for cars. The old Rabbit usually is near the top on the smaller and curvier racetracks within its class. Yeah, they don't have much top speed at 90 ish mph due to the close ratio transmission, but with a lower stress bar, the thing handles like it's on rails. I challenge one of you to buy a stock Fiesta, and bring it over.

As for the Ranger, it does damn well for a smaller pickup. And it's a lot more capable than one of those Polaris Rangers.

Ever see this? And by the way, the Ranger needed a new battery to fix it up for good. I thought the crank sensor got grease on it again, but nope. Battery was shot.

attachment.php
It handled all of this sod with no problems at all. Try that with a fake Ranger. Yeah, one of them Polaris ones. Also, that part of the yard would make it very difficult to maneuver a full size with a 8 foot box. Yeah, it won't haul as much of a load, but it still is handy and does work.

As for the Z06 being manual only, congrats. I did not know that.

I don't read much on Corvettes ever since GM went to hell. Went to the car show the other day, and saw a lot of new Camaros. Wish I had worn my "Ford, built without your tax dollars" shirt then. I didn't even look twice at those new Camaros. Actually, a few times, I did not even look once. Just walked right past them. Noticed I wasn't the only one to pretty much ignore them. I had no idea there would be any at the show.

I know the third generation Vettes have fiber optics to light up stuff in the dash and console. As well as them being a ridiculously well handling car for its weight and size. I've actually driven one.

Keep poking and prodding. I'll just keep hoping a septic tank or sewer cleaning truck tips over onto your front yard and spills #### all over the front of your house and lawn. Better yet, that wave of #### might break the windows and spill into your house. Or even better yet, you'll be mowing the lawn when it happens.

Chalk up one more reason why I prefer people to shut up, and carry on. And usually stay the hell away from me. Not gonna happen with BS like this flying around. There are good folks out there, but they sure are damn hard to find. Turn left, someone ####ing around with a smart phone. Turn left, someone #####ing on facebook about what happened on some stupid reality show. Looking in between the cracks, you'll see someone good, but there often is no way to get a hold of them.

Most of my life went to hell senior year of HS. Unfortunately, I don't give enough of a #### to change. And it isn't all my fault. I've lost faith in people for the most part. They are completely blind. Trying to find the few good ones is simply too much trouble.

I'm about ready to quit here.

Kyle, no need to get your panties all bunched up. You sling your share of jabs, you need to take some as well. I don't intend to drive you off, I'm just saying you've got a lot of things yet to learn. I'm over twice your age and a long ways from done learning myself. My apologies if you took it as more than that.

(CAUTION GOOD NATURED RIBBING AHEAD!)

Your Ranger ain't a real Ranger BTW. This is a REAL Ranger:

4624711-4.jpg

Real trucks come with multiples of 8, 8 cylinders, 8 gears, 8' box, 8 MPG. :D

And yeah, I drive a clapped out '88 Chevy K1500.

Kyle, no need to get your panties all bunched up. You sling your share of jabs, you need to take some as well. I don't intend to drive you off, I'm just saying you've got a lot of things yet to learn. I'm over twice your age and a long ways from done learning myself. My apologies if you took it as more than that.

(CAUTION GOOD NATURED RIBBING AHEAD!)

Your Ranger ain't a real Ranger BTW. This is a REAL Ranger:

4624711-4.jpg

Real trucks come with multiples of 8, 8 cylinders, 8 gears, 8' box, 8 MPG. :D

And yeah, I drive a clapped out '88 Chevy K1500.

agreed on the ranger thing, my granddad's 69 ranger would pull a 1970's 35" travel trailer from northern Nevada to Tempe Arizona every year, I would like to see a new Ranger do that. Now to dispel any corvette myths, any of the new upper end corvette's will flat smoke any vette made in the 60's, 70's, 80's and most of the 90's in both speed and handling, not to mention reliability. Its only competition is the Ford GT and its self, I would mention the challenger but it is more in competition with the camero and mustang.

New guy looking for help. C&P from the general section.

Fellas,
I am completely new here. I found ya'all during a google search. I must say this is a great site with a ton of information.

I am wanting to rebuild my pro mac 800. It finally gave out after 30 years. My shop guy says it is scored and will most likely need a new cylinder, piston, etc........ Other than a new internal rebuild, the saw is in great shape.

I have searched quite extensively locally here in west central Illinois and kept an eye on ebay for awhile now. These saws are hard to find.
I have read here that the 82cc engines are pretty much the same thing with a few minor changes over the years. Ebay currently has a Double Eagle 80 and a SP81 listed as running and good compression. Would it be wise to purchase one of these and use the engine with the 800? Or are they to different to even try?

Or, is there somebody on here that has the parts for sell to rebuild?

I would hate to let this old saw die. It has been the most reliable saw for 30 years. Although I don't heat with wood anymore, I still want to use it on the farm clearing fence rows and felling larger trees.

Thank you,
Jodie

Also, if I don't respond back in an orderly time, please forgive me. I work 11pm to 7am and alot of times come home and sleep 10-11 hours and do it all over again.
Thanks again

While we're on rangers....

I love this one....

48cc4b1d-3a2b-73db.jpg

48cc4b1d-3a36-2299.jpg

It's a '67 with 42,xxx miles only. I still use around town. My grand father bough it new.

This one I bought new...

48cc4b1d-3ac4-e804.jpg

48cc4b1d-3adc-6620.jpg

I had to show both rangers hauling Macs to keep it in topic.

Last edited:
Now to dispel any corvette myths, any of the new upper end corvette's will flat smoke any vette made in the 60's, 70's, 80's and most of the 90's in both speed and handling, not to mention reliability. Its only competition is the Ford GT and its self, I would mention the challenger but it is more in competition with the camero and mustang.

I agree, however the Challenger isn't any competition for any newer Vette. It's weight is the issue....last I looked it couldn't hold it's own vs the CamAro or Stang. It's one overweight pig. The Camaro or Mustang aren't exactly lightweights either, but not as bad as the Challenger. Remember the old adage...adding more power will make you faster in a straight line, while removing weight will make you faster everywhere. The ZO6 and ZR1 are world class sports cars that happen to cost a fraction of what they are capable of competing with performance-wise. Hell, my '08 Vette Z51 is absolutely amazing for what it costs. Capable of mid eleven 1/4 mile runs and pulling 1g in the corner while at the same time getting 27+ highway mpg -and- comfortable enough to take 5,000+ mile road trips up in the mountains.

Okay... when the hell did I ever say a Rabbit was a performance car? I don't recall that. My point was that even though the car is over 20 years old, it still would beat modern hatchbacks that happen to have about the same specs. Fiesta, 500, whatever it is. It is a great car in its class. If you have any brains on racing, there are different classes for cars. The old Rabbit usually is near the top on the smaller and curvier racetracks within its class. Yeah, they don't have much top speed at 90 ish mph due to the close ratio transmission, but with a lower stress bar, the thing handles like it's on rails. I challenge one of you to buy a stock Fiesta, and bring it over.

As for the Ranger, it does damn well for a smaller pickup. And it's a lot more capable than one of those Polaris Rangers.

Ever see this? And by the way, the Ranger needed a new battery to fix it up for good. I thought the crank sensor got grease on it again, but nope. Battery was shot.

It handled all of this sod with no problems at all. Try that with a fake Ranger. Yeah, one of them Polaris ones. Also, that part of the yard would make it very difficult to maneuver a full size with a 8 foot box. Yeah, it won't haul as much of a load, but it still is handy and does work.

As for the Z06 being manual only, congrats. I did not know that.

I don't read much on Corvettes ever since GM went to hell. Went to the car show the other day, and saw a lot of new Camaros. Wish I had worn my "Ford, built without your tax dollars" shirt then. I didn't even look twice at those new Camaros. Actually, a few times, I did not even look once. Just walked right past them. Noticed I wasn't the only one to pretty much ignore them. I had no idea there would be any at the show.

I know the third generation Vettes have fiber optics to light up stuff in the dash and console. As well as them being a ridiculously well handling car for its weight and size. I've actually driven one.

Keep poking and prodding. I'll just keep hoping a septic tank or sewer cleaning truck tips over onto your front yard and spills #### all over the front of your house and lawn. Better yet, that wave of #### might break the windows and spill into your house. Or even better yet, you'll be mowing the lawn when it happens.

Chalk up one more reason why I prefer people to shut up, and carry on. And usually stay the hell away from me. Not gonna happen with BS like this flying around. There are good folks out there, but they sure are damn hard to find. Turn left, someone ####ing around with a smart phone. Turn left, someone #####ing on facebook about what happened on some stupid reality show. Looking in between the cracks, you'll see someone good, but there often is no way to get a hold of them.

Most of my life went to hell senior year of HS. Unfortunately, I don't give enough of a #### to change. And it isn't all my fault. I've lost faith in people for the most part. They are completely blind. Trying to find the few good ones is simply too much trouble.

I'm about ready to quit here.

:laugh:

dude, calm down....lol You do know there are people out there who you can "see" and there is also medication out there which may help take the edge off. :D :msp_wub:

I agree, however the Challenger isn't any competition for any newer Vette. It's weight is the issue....last I looked it couldn't hold it's own vs the CamAro or Stang. It's one overweight pig. The Camaro or Mustang aren't exactly lightweights either, but not as bad as the Challenger. Remember the old adage...adding more power will make you faster in a straight line, while removing weight will make you faster everywhere. The ZO6 and ZR1 are world class sports cars that happen to cost a fraction of what they are capable of competing with performance-wise. Hell, my '08 Vette Z51 is absolutely amazing for what it costs. Capable of mid eleven 1/4 mile runs and pulling 1g in the corner while at the same time getting 27+ highway mpg -and- comfortable enough to take 5,000+ mile road trips up in the mountains.

It's funny, and this is coming from a Vette owner myself, that the newer Camaros and Vettes, etc. look awesome on the street but they get beat up pretty bad on the drag strip by older cars, modified, of course.
For 1/3 the price of a new Camaro or Mustang I could buy a car that would run circles around them both..

Relax Kyle, you need to learn to take some guff as you can be quick to offer up opinions...

Steve is right, I do have a couple of Ford Rangers of the "mid" size variety but I manage to get some use from them. Last week I hauled around 18 saws and as many parts as I could stuff in the back under the topper, this week I managed to collect a load of wood with my red one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And just to keep this on track, I will try out the 10-10S and the PM800 that I picked up last week on a rather big project coming up Saturday.

Mark

Red Ranger

Mark ----nice load of wood but what did you have on the trailer? Another load of saws? haha

Ray

I acquired a very clean 10-10s today, looks to have very minimal use but missing some body parts. I will post some pics tomorrow after work.

Strait line speed is all relative, I pulled away from a newer mustang the other day at the light, I was driving my Chevy 1500 HD quad cab 4x4, but to be fair I had a bigger engine, taller gear, more weight and posi traction. Poor guy was fit to be tied that his mustang would not hook up. Any modified car can be made to beat a factory car, I was comparing factory car with factory car.

Latest posts

Back