McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do believe it only feeds the high side. Did you clean the passage in the carb body when you removed that jet? It is possible that there's some crap under a welch plug gumming up the works.

Isn't the welsh plug feeding the low side? And YES, crap under the welsh will screw things up!

Sounds like it's not transitioning to high. Pull the metering lever and make sure you can see thru the orifice under the needle, if it's clogged it won't transition to full speed. You may need to reem it out with a bread tie.

New bar&chain tested on small oak

251449d1346790050-img_0020-jpg

251450d1346790065-img_0015-jpg

Good pictures. Different saw I see. Ron

Sorry guys but I have a few questions I could use some help with, so here goes.

I have a Mac 7-10, which I absolutely love. However it started having some problems yesterday. I have cut a ton of wood with it and yesterday it started to bog down while on the throttle. It will start up just fine but when revving it out if you hold the throttle wide open it will bog down eventually and die. I was able to get it to clean up a bit by backing off and playing with the throttle a bit but it would eventually go right back to bogging up and losing power. Tried a new spark plug and no difference. Checked fuel filter and line and both seemed fine. Going to try and get a new carb kit for it tomorrow and see if that will help. Anything else that could cause this besides fuel delivery? It has a SDC 4-73 44 Carb.

Also the clutch cover ended up breaking while I was using the felling spikes on some logs. The reinforcement on the underside of the cover is pretty weak compared to later models of saws. I tried making a quick fix for the time being but it wasn't strong enough.

Here is a pic of the break and the attempted repair.

attachment.php

It looks like a cover I have from a Mac 10-10 will fit on the saw on the 7-10 except the exhaust cover which I could always remove that portion. The added benefit would be getting a chain brake, as the old cover didn't have one, and boy does the 7-10 kick back. If there is a small loose log under the bottom of the chain that gets caught it will throw that sucker into your shin and it doesn't feel nice.

Here is a pic of the 10-10 cover.
attachment.php

Okay here comes another issue, my brother has a Mac PM610, which he loves using. However it started having the same problem, it bogs down while trying to really get on the throttle. So I checked the spark plug, fuel filter, and line and all looks well. I figure it's time for a carb kit, however when taking the carb apart to check things out I noticed a part I hadn't seen before and wanted to make sure it's suppose to be there. Its a white plastic piece that sits on top of the metering lever, carb is a Zama C2S. Here are some pics -

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ran out of room for more pics in this post, I'll post another in a reply below.

Last edited:
I do believe it only feeds the high side. Did you clean the passage in the carb body when you removed that jet? It is possible that there's some crap under a welch plug gumming up the works.

I will try and get a carb kit for it later this week and will pull the welch plug and see what I find.

Isn't the welsh plug feeding the low side? And YES, crap under the welsh will screw things up!

Sounds like it's not transitioning to high. Pull the metering lever and make sure you can see thru the orifice under the needle, if it's clogged it won't transition to full speed. You may need to reem it out with a bread tie.

All passages were clean and I could see through them and also blerw through them as well with compressor. Only thing left is kit and welch plug.

I have yet to remove a welch plug so I am curious as to how that will go. There was seem grit dirt in the carb on the first cleaning in it.

Continuing from my post above -

Also isn't there suppose to be a screen on the other side of where the needle sits at? Here is a pic of the hole that a screen is usually in, but there wasn't one in the hole -

attachment.php

I'm sorry for the long posts, but this site is the go to for help on saws. Thanks for any help given.

Last edited:

I have a Mac 7-10, which I absolutely love. However it started having some problems yesterday. I have cut a ton of wood with it and yesterday it started to bog down while on the throttle. It will start up just fine but when revving it out if you hold the throttle wide open it will bog down eventually and die. I was able to get it to clean up a bit by backing off and playing with the throttle a bit but it would eventually go right back to bogging up and losing power. Tried a new spark plug and no difference. Checked fuel filter and line and both seemed fine. Going to try and get a new carb kit for it tomorrow and see if that will help. Anything else that could cause this besides fuel delivery? It has a SDC 4-73 44 Carb.

Also the clutch cover ended up breaking while I was using the felling spikes on some logs. The reinforcement on the underside of the cover is pretty weak compared to later models of saws. I tried making a quick fix for the time being but it wasn't strong enough.

attachment.php

It looks like a cover I have from a Mac 10-10 will fit on the saw on the 7-10 except the exhaust cover which I could always remove that portion. The added benefit would be getting a chain brake, as the old cover didn't have one, and boy does the 7-10 kick back. If there is a small loose log under the bottom of the chain that gets caught it will throw that sucker into your shin and it doesn't feel nice.

attachment.php

Okay here comes another issue, my brother has a Mac PM610, which he loves using. However it started having the same problem, it bogs down while trying to really get on the throttle. So I checked the spark plug, fuel filter, and line and all looks well. I figure it's time for a carb kit, however when taking the carb apart to check things out I noticed a part I hadn't seen before and wanted to make sure it's suppose to be there. Its a white plastic piece that sits on top of the metering lever, here some pics -

attachment.php

attachment.php

Triple check your spark plug gap. I had the same problem and it ended up being the spark plug gap.

Also, yes that white plastic piece is supposed to be on the metering diaphragm. I forget what its called but it is normal and is supposed to be there.

I have a walbro carb on mine and I think yours is a zama, but they're still pretty similar. I would have to look at the service manual to be sure though.

Do you have the manual for it? If not i can give you the link that was given to me for that saw.

Last edited:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Okay here comes another issue, my brother has a Mac PM610, which he loves using. However it started having the same problem, it bogs down while trying to really get on the throttle. So I checked the spark plug, fuel filter, and line and all looks well. I figure it's time for a carb kit, however when taking the carb apart to check things out I noticed a part I hadn't seen before and wanted to make sure it's suppose to be there. Its a white plastic piece that sits on top of the metering lever, carb is a Zama C2S. Here are some pics -

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ran out of room for more pics in this post, I'll post another in a reply below.

I've only seen that white plastic piece on Zama carbs but yes it goes there, under the diaphragm. The other manufacturers use a metal piece there, made into the diaphragm.

Triple check your spark plug gap. I had the same problem and it ended up being the spark plug gap.

Also, yes that white plastic piece is supposed to be on the metering diaphragm. I forget what its called but it is normal and is supposed to be there.

I have a walbro carb on mine and I think yours is a zama, but they're still pretty similar. I would have to look at the service manual to be sure though.

Do you have the manual for it? If not i can give you the link that was given to me for that saw.

I've only seen that white plastic piece on Zama carbs but yes it goes there, under the diaphragm. The other manufacturers use a metal piece there, made into the diaphragm.

Thanks for the replys :). To be safe on the gap I think I will just pick up new plugs for both saws today after work. Unfortunately looks like they take slightly different plugs, according to acres site.

I am going to buy a carb kit today and wonder if it will include a new plastic piece? Anyone know the difference between a major and minor carb kit?

My 7-10 has a Walbro and the PM610 has a Zama. Not sure which is a better brand but both seemed to work fine.

Not sure if it matters but I recently switched from using basic pump gas in the saws to now using 92 octane. After a few tanks with the premium gas my problems started cropping up. Switching from basic pump (I think 87 octane) to premium (92 octane) couldn't cause any issues could it?

Thanks for the replys :). To be safe on the gap I think I will just pick up new plugs for both saws today after work. Unfortunately looks like they take slightly different plugs, according to acres site.

I am going to buy a carb kit today and wonder if it will include a new plastic piece? Anyone know the difference between a major and minor carb kit?

My 7-10 has a Walbro and the PM610 has a Zama. Not sure which is a better brand but both seemed to work fine.

Not sure if it matters but I recently switched from using basic pump gas in the saws to now using 92 octane. After a few tanks with the premium gas my problems started cropping up. Switching from basic pump (I think 87 octane) to premium (92 octane) couldn't cause any issues could it?

You'll want to go to an OPE shop to get the plugs, as the big box stores don't always have the correct ones.

There are two basic kits: A diaphragm kit, which has only those and gaskets and a full rebuild kit which has all the diaphragms/gaskets, plus a metering lever, needle, Welch plug(s), screen etc.

I don't know if you were ever completely clear on the 'bogging' issue ... does it bog in the transition from low to WOT, or does it bog after you already are running at WOT?

You'll want to go to an OPE shop to get the plugs, as the big box stores don't always have the correct ones.

There are two basic kits: A diaphragm kit, which has only those and gaskets and a full rebuild kit which has all the diaphragms/gaskets, plus a metering lever, needle, Welch plug(s), screen etc.

I don't know if you were ever completely clear on the 'bogging' issue ... does it bog in the transition from low to WOT, or does it bog after you already are running at WOT?

Sorry but what does "OPE" stand for?

I think I'll try just the minor carb kit first and see if that clears things up. Welch plugs seem like they might be a pain to deal with. So I don't want to go there unless necessary.

Honestly hard to remember exactly now that I think about it, but I think it was bogging as I was transitioning from low to WOT. Weird thing is I had cut like 5 cords in the last 3 days with no problems at all. Then I let my brother run the saw on a few logs and it starts losing power but clears up for a sec then back to the bogging.

After I put the carb kit in I'll see what's up and document it right away so I have a better answer.

Thanks for the help.

I think I'll try just the minor carb kit first and see if that clears things up. Welch plugs seem like they might be a pain to deal with. So I don't want to go there unless necessary.

Honestly hard to remember exactly now that I think about it, but I think it was bogging as I was transitioning from low to WOT. Weird thing is I had cut like 5 cords in the last 3 days with no problems at all. Then I let my brother run the saw on a few logs and it starts losing power but clears up for a sec then back to the bogging.

After I put the carb kit in I'll see what's up and document it right away so I have a better answer.

Thanks for the help.

OPE = Outdoor Power Equipment

If the bog is in transition, try to richen up the L side a bit.

[video=youtube;R0V4SSWr_uk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0V4SSWr_uk&feature=player_embedded#t=1s[/video]

Thanks for the help.

You will need to get the full rebuild kit for the carb. that does not hae the screen. Tom

Latest posts

Back