McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was rootin around the shop and found this . i think it is a sp125? cyl looks good comp? comes up tdc hard and cant hear any blowbuy. spins free and smooth. missing recoil and cover, and coil. can you confirm?
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

You FOUND an SP125C while 'rooting around' in your shop?????????

Amazing. I found a similar model # on the K&T website. SP125C.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/McC...UPER-PRO-125C-01-77-to-06-77-IPL-92219-R1.pdf

Edit:

Just found your EXACT IPL on the Small Engines Discount McCulloch IPL index. It is indeed an SP125C. Who the heck FINDS an SP125C in their shop (implying that they didn't already know there WAS an SP125C in their shop)? Actually..............................IIRC Lee had a similar discovery a while ago. Now there are two...:D

http://www.smallenginediscount.com/Super_Pro_125c_May_77.pdf

Second Edit:

Hey Fraser..................................I wanna go 'root around' in your shop.:D

Last edited:
FWIW, you have the newer SP125C AF cover that uses two decals. Somebody used to sell replacement decals for it on eBay. Likely a replacement cover as your saw doesn't have the operator's presence lever. BTW you can still find MAC branded chain. The last .404 I got from Wallenburg's was. Ron

Last edited:
FWIW, you have the newer SP125C AF cover that uses two decals. Somebody used to sell replacement decals for it on eBay. Likely a replacement cover as your saw doesn't have the operator's presence lever. BTW you can still find MAC branded chain. The last .404 I got from Wallenburg's was. Ron

NOTE: Wallenberg is now out of business. Sold their inventory out to about 5 buyers as I heard, but I wonder if Bob has any ..?

Hey Guys,

newb/lurker here!

Picked up a 1-70 and a SP80 the other day, both need TLC.

Looked on ebay etc, for rings/pistons with no luck.

any idea what models cross-over with these? I have to think other models have the same size P/C??

Can the 1-70 be bored out? if so what would be a .20 over part number?

Any help (or parts) would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Andy

Hey Guys,

newb/lurker here!

Picked up a 1-70 and a SP80 the other day, both need TLC.

Looked on ebay etc, for rings/pistons with no luck.

any idea what models cross-over with these? I have to think other models have the same size P/C??

Can the 1-70 be bored out? if so what would be a .20 over part number?

Any help (or parts) would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Andy

On the SP-80, make sure the chrome plating in the cylinder is still good. Otherwise, you'll need another cylinder.

The piston assemblies for these saws are 'matched' to the cylinders. There are A, B, and C cylinders and pistons. The cylinder will be marked (or not marked) with the letter on the top of the cylinder, near the threaded hole for the comp release valve. An unstamped cylinder is a B cylinder.

-92518 is the A piston assembly part number.

-92519 is the B piston assembly part number.

-92520 is the C piston assembly part number.

There's almost always pistons for these saws on ebay. Bob Johnson and/or Discount Marine may have them too. NOS cylinders are somewhat hard to find, but they do still come up from time to time. I've seen good used cylinders on ebay too.

The 1-70 can indeed be rebored. There are pistons listed for use with thrust washers (that go on either side of the little end of the conrod) and also pistons listed for use without thrust washers. Pull your saw apart to see whether it has a thrust washer or non thrust washer conrod.

Thrust washer pistons.

-55310A is standard bore.

-55322A is .010 over.

-55323A is .020 over.

-55324A is .030 over.

Non thrust washer pistons.

-53941A is std.

-55942A is .010 over.

-55943A is .030 over.

-55944A is .030 over.

Thanks for the reply!

Of course, none of the numbers for the 1-70 pop up (on Ebay), except 1, which may or may not be for my 1-70 depending on this thrust washer deal. I have yet to strip down the saw.

The SP80 is an "A"...are the rings interchangable between the letters? I assume so.

Thanks again to any that can help get the 2 beasts running!

Andy

Thanks for the reply!

Of course, none of the numbers for the 1-70 pop up (on Ebay), except 1, which may or may not be for my 1-70 depending on this thrust washer deal. I have yet to strip down the saw.

The SP80 is an "A"...are the rings interchangable between the letters? I assume so.

Thanks again to any that can help get the 2 beasts running!

Andy

The rings are usually sold with the pistons (in the case of these 82cc Macs). I've only seen the rings listed by themselves once. IIRC the rings are the same part number for all three pistons.

Those other 1-70 piston part numbers come up on feebay from time to time. You just have to be patient. Some of the 'vintage kart' sites list McCulloch saw pistons too.

Aside from the P/C, do any other saws share common parts with the 1-70?

Covers/sheilds, pull starter, spikes etc?

Aside from the P/C, do any other saws share common parts with the 1-70?

Covers/sheilds, pull starter, spikes etc?

Spikes are shared with most of the large frame Macs. Gaskets are mostly the same too, as are crank seals. The pull starter/clutch cover assembly is shared with most of the RH start Macs. I can't remember if your saw has the large-head bar adjusting screw that fits into a 'thumbnail' cut in the bar (like most of the earlier large frame Macs) or if it has the adjuster in the clutch cover. If your saw has the large-head adjuster screw in the oil tank/bar pad, you can use the later style clutch covers (with adjusters) if you remove the large-head adjuster screw from your saw. If your saw doesn't have that large-head adjuster screw in the oil tank, then you must use the later style clutch covers.

The flywheel cover is shared with (or can be swapped with) most of the other RH start Macs. You need to look at the 'replacement' cover to see that the top profile of it is the same as yours (some have a 'dogleg' downward curve, and won't fit your saw). Many other parts swap between large frame Macs as well.

Amazing. I found a similar model # on the K&T website. SP125C.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/McC...UPER-PRO-125C-01-77-to-06-77-IPL-92219-R1.pdf

Edit:

Just found your EXACT IPL on the Small Engines Discount McCulloch IPL index. It is indeed an SP125C. Who the heck FINDS an SP125C in their shop (implying that they didn't already know there WAS an SP125C in their shop)? Actually..............................IIRC Lee had a similar discovery a while ago. Now there are two...:D

http://www.smallenginediscount.com/Super_Pro_125c_May_77.pdf

Second Edit:

Hey Fraser..................................I wanna go 'root around' in your shop.:D

Yep, I had that happen awhile ago and discovered a CP125.
I ended up restoring that one.

Want to come "Root around in my shop"

NOTE: Wallenberg is now out of business. Sold their inventory out to about 5 buyers as I heard, but I wonder if Bob has any ..?

It's no wonder they're out of biz. Ya ever
buy any parts from them. OMG were they
expensive. 130.00 beans for a 125 clutch cover.
I said no thanks.

Lee

Lee, you didn't make Harry mad did you??? I bought a lot of NOS 125 parts from him, including a chain brake cover for $65.00. On most parts, I think he was simply brokering them. I knew the website was down but I didn't know that they had closed. Ron

Lee, you didn't make Harry mad did you??? I bought a lot of NOS 125 parts from him, including a chain brake cover for $65.00. On most parts, I think he was simply brokering them. I knew the website was down but I didn't know that they had closed. Ron

I contacted Harry after you posted about that purchase looking for the same part, and he could not find me one, and the offering price would have been $125 if I remember correctly if he could find one.

On one of my orders, I found a talley sheet with what appeared to be the different sources he had gathered that particular order as well as pricing. Up until my last order he was good to me, he would look for most any part I would ask. Now I know why I didn't get a response on my last order.

Somebody bought a nice PM805 tonight on eBay. It was originally listed as a local pickup only. I contacted the seller. He was afraid that someone would wreck it and send it back. He later changed his listing and the bidding began. Appeared to be an honest seller and it was his saw. Ron

Yep, I had that happen awhile ago and discovered a CP125.
I ended up restoring that one.

Want to come "Root around in my shop"

Lee

You've known the answer to that question for a while Lee! Be careful, I may just take you up on that offer the next time we're back east visiting the FIL. He's in southwestern NH near the MA border.:D

It's no wonder they're out of biz. Ya ever
buy any parts from them. OMG were they
expensive. 130.00 beans for a 125 clutch cover.
I said no thanks.

Lee

When I looked on their website a couple years ago, there was mostly eager beaver mini-mac and PM600 mexi-mac parts. I never even knew they had any parts for the good McCullochs. Because of that I never bothered to call them...:confused:

Was it Harry that had a bunch of 125 parts on feebay about six months or so ago?

axeman has a lot of 125 and other parts listed right now, starting prices are not bad, might be interesting to see what happens with so much up at one time.

I have two NOS 82 cc pistons (A & C) that came without rings so if anyone can help me locate at least two sets of NOS rings I would be most apprecitative. The B pistons from Bryce do include rings.

Mark

axeman has a lot of 125 and other parts listed right now, starting prices are not bad, might be interesting to see what happens with so much up at one time.

I have two NOS 82 cc pistons (A & C) that came without rings so if anyone can help me locate at least two sets of NOS rings I would be most apprecitative. The B pistons from Bryce do include rings.

Mark

Not cheap: piston rings 87854 PART MCCULLOCH CHAINSAW | eBay Marmax's Kartsandparts.ca - vintage cz motorcycle go kart stop :: mcculloch vintage kart engines and parts :: p/n 87854 piston ring set pm 850 pm850 fits piston a b and c sp81 sp81e sp80 pm850 pm850s pm800 pro mac 805 mcculloch racing go kart ch

Ron

Back