McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my SP81's got the call today to handle the big wood. We got in a big hurry because the weather was supposed to turn nasty so I did not have time to take pics, of course it was sunny all day. Had a very productive day lugging around some classic American iron, the SP81 never noticed that it was buried in wood. Why is it that all the good firewood is always vertical and just out of cable reach to the road? Well more time behind the saw as we had to buck in 8 to 10 foot sections to roll down the hill. Seems that all the dead trees close to the road are either rotten or full of ants, I love cutting a face cut and then ants come pouring out like lava. I also saw a few farmer back cuts, a green tree with a nice face cut in a no cutting area(oops), and fresh elk poo on a the trunk of a tree I had just felled, I must have been enjoying the SP81 to not see that.

Finally got that pile of 14 Mcculloch's (mostly) in today from Oregon. Check out the thread in the main forum and let me know what i have here.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/207910.htm#post3832028

This should get you started/interested:

B6D34EEB-C982-42C9-AD3A-2CE15D8DE941-2854-0000055F9631AABA.jpg

97AB8B09-6060-4780-AAC5-B620D8A04444-2854-0000055F801E1D6C.jpg

E6C74995-2324-4BE2-8F37-3C10B46A4578-2854-0000055F7703947D.jpg

C4CE4BDB-DD2A-4C97-8D70-C73E4113033D-2854-0000055FE7A9E67D.jpg

FD101C5E-BFE0-426B-8CD1-1CEDF31952A4-2854-0000055FCB7C5C18.jpg

EB9021EB-6473-4FB6-9871-8FBCC97A3CA3-2854-0000055FF4CA7EC1.jpg

2068499C-E2E7-4B10-A398-C7AF3E7EA43F-2854-0000055FEF51341A.jpg

Well, I got my 1-70 apart today, looks like it broke a ring.

piston is junk, amazingly the head looks ok, or at least workable...as does the cylinder, though it will need to be at least honed if not bored.

Saw has great spark, the rod, crank and bearings are in great shape. All the shields look good (need paint) except the rear one that took a hit. The old gas in the tank turned into thick reddish syrup. Have not gone into the carb yet but I'm sure it's ugly. Found some random (large, misplaced) bolt in the oil tank. Air box is missing the "bar" to hold down the filter and top cover. Came with a 24" roller nose with the standard rusty old .404.

I'd like to get this old timer up and running...anyone have leads on a "thrust washer" piston/ring set and new gaskets?

I've been friggin' searching everywhere and can't find s**t!

Yelloooooow fever ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, hkusp9, awesome saws!

Well, I got my 1-70 apart today, looks like it broke a ring.

piston is junk, amazingly the head looks ok, or at least workable...as does the cylinder, though it will need to be at least honed if not bored...

0.010" over piston 55322 (thrust washers) or 53942 (no thrust washers), rings 55124
0.020" over piston 53323 (thrust washers) or 53943 (no thrust washers), rings 55125
0.030" over piston 55324 (thrust washers) or 53944 (no thrust washers), rings 55126

Mark

Ooo, Ooo, I have one.
Photo0345.jpg

Photo0401.jpg

It used to have a 72cc engine in it but someone thought it ran better on strait gas, good thing I had a nice PM850 engine sitting here.

Ok, so i finally got a chance to play with my 125c today after work for a little while.

This thing is in absolutely beautiful shape for how old it is and how much it appears to have been used.

I need to find some replacement screws that are all the same length and match, and i need to tear the whole thing down and clean and repaint it and i would like to put in new rings and a new carb kit and new seals just to be safe. The airbox/gas tank looks to have been sealed with something really weird, and the oil tank is also sealed up with something wonky.

I will say that although i havent filled up the gas tank yet, it fired up and ran with a little mix squirted in the carb!

I was practically jumping up and down with i saw that. I was thining about trading all the other saws to one of the pros on here in exchange for overhauling this one but now im thinking that i would like the satisfaction of doing it myself and would also like to have the knowledge of how it works so i can work on it myself in the future.

Also, does anyone know where i can get the AV rubber inserts for where the lower handle meets up with the full wrap handle at the front bottom of the saw? Need to replace them and also fix the right screw on the bottom of the full wrap handle.

Ok, so i finally got a chance to play with my 125c today after work for a little while.

This thing is in absolutely beautiful shape for how old it is and how much it appears to have been used.

I need to find some replacement screws that are all the same length and match, and i need to tear the whole thing down and clean and repaint it and i would like to put in new rings and a new carb kit and new seals just to be safe. The airbox/gas tank looks to have been sealed with something really weird, and the oil tank is also sealed up with something wonky.

I will say that although i havent filled up the gas tank yet, it fired up and ran with a little mix squirted in the carb!

I was practically jumping up and down with i saw that. I was thining about trading all the other saws to one of the pros on here in exchange for overhauling this one but now im thinking that i would like the satisfaction of doing it myself and would also like to have the knowledge of how it works so i can work on it myself in the future.

If you're unsure about something in the rebuild it would be good to ask someone on here with experience rather than make a costly mistake. I'm afraid on these I wouldn't be the one to ask, however.

Sounds like a nice project, But if it's in
beautiful shape i would not paint it.
Show us some pic's of her all cleaned up.

Lee

I took my 1-60 and PM800 out for some excersize, along with a Power Mac 6 for the smaller stuff. Although I have played around a little with the 1-60, this is the first time I really worked it. It ran great until I set up to video a cut. It wouldn't start so I pulled the air filter and found the carb box filling with fuel. I'm guessing the fuel pump diaphragm cracked. So I took a still shot of it and filmed the PM800 making a cut. That saw seems downright civilized after using the ol gear drive. The power mac 6 ran good but the oiler would either not oil enough or would gush like an oil well. In spite of difficulty with 2 out of 3 saws, I still had a good day and got another nice load of hickory.
View attachment 252721
View attachment 252723[video]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/dalilies/Jims%20aboritstsite%20pictures/3E5A4902-F9B5-4F46-A7B7-3102880A79D7-190-000000140E4D184E.mp4[/video]

Hey All,

Got the 1-70 apart, countless searches turned up a .030 over "thrust washer" piston and crank bearings.

Went to the machine shop yesterday, $50 to re-bore and assemble the small end of the con-rod....which seems reasonable.

At this point I realize the expense is greater than the value, but thats part of the fun!

Nonetheless, have more Q's:

Gaskets are a ##### to source, esp the tank gasket. What do you all recommend for gasket material and thickness?

The rear shroud is a little rough, will a S-44 cover work?

What spikes will work?

Does anyone have an IPL for this saw?

Sorry to be a PITA, you guys are the pros!

-Andy

Latest posts

Back