McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also have a question for Jacob... here is the coil that is on the saw...

attachment.php

Here is the one you sent me...

attachment.php

Here the are compared together (original still in the saw)

attachment.php

I don't think it's gonna worky... The original does work... it's just the plug wire and boot are rotten and cracked. Do you have one that is like what is in the 797? I'll send this other one back to ya...

Gary

Hey Gary. You should be able change out the plug wire by itself. The spark plug wire screws down into the coil housing on to what appears to be a sheet metal screw. It also will have some sealant around the coil/plug wire junction to help keep out water & hold it in place.. I think that the coil Jacob sent you will probably work as long as nothing is binding up under the cover when everything is back together. The laminations on both coils appear to be identical to one another. McCulloch was pretty good about using the same components in a variety of saws. What bugs me is that they loved to change the part # from one saw model to the next, even though they were the exact same part. I'd like to beat the marketing guy who came up with that great idea.:greenchainsaw:
Vince :cheers:

Vince...I think the coil will physically bolt in place no problem. The thing that is different is where the condensor and kill switch leads attach to the coil... the one I got from Jacob has no tabs for the leads to attach to the coil... maybe they are broke off...not sure.

Gary

Vince...I think the coil will physically bolt in place no problem. The thing that is different is where the condensor and kill switch leads attach to the coil... the one I got from Jacob has no tabs for the leads to attach to the coil... maybe they are broke off...not sure.

Gary

A soldering gun can fix you right up. I can send you some female bullet connectors which you can solder directly to the coil so you can plug your leads in.

Or, you can just change out the spark plug wire. :D

A soldering gun can fix you right up. I can send you some female bullet connectors which you can solder directly to the coil so you can plug your leads in.

Or, you can just change out the spark plug wire. :D

Yep. The coil JJ sent is for the older Macs. It's like what on my 1-72s and 1-82. The 795 has the blade connector version like your 797 does.

Here's the one on my 1-72 with one of the bullet end wires pulled out.
attachment.php

my PM700 has one... that's not what you mean, is it?? I looked on Acres site, and could only find a 740 that was in the low 700's as far as #'s..

J
Now you got me wondering if the compression release was an option on the PM700. I sure don't see one on mine..is it enclosed where you can't see it without taking a cover off or something? The Super EZ has it where it's easily seen. I'll look more closely, someone may have removed it and plugged the hole.

Now you got me wondering if the compression release was an option on the PM700. I sure don't see one on mine..is it enclosed where you can't see it without taking a cover off or something? The Super EZ has it where it's easily seen. I'll look more closely, someone may have removed it and plugged the hole.

UT OH...I just had a bad thought...although it may be nixed, cause you did 'wish' you had a comp release...hopefully for good reason...

I say this cause the 10-10 is the same chassis, which had a 3.3cu in (without a comp release) and a 3.55 with a comp release...as well as the 700/750/850 etc...

hopefully no one swapped a 3.3 in there...(i forget the CC size..although I prefer the metric system...)

I have 2 PM700's...(one for parts) both have the release..

Found an old Super Pro 81 at a yard sale for $20 today:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

She's got a bit of cancer and the recoil is sticky, but I dribbled some fuel in the plug hole and it's got fire and plenty of compression, so I figured $20 wasn't bad. Heck, the near-new 24" chain is worth more at my dealer. It won't suck fuel from the tank though; likely needs a rebuild and/or new lines. All in good time.

Real well, indeed. Unless you give $20. USA:laugh::laugh: A good buy on either side of the border. Now, make it go!

UT OH...I just had a bad thought...although it may be nixed, cause you did 'wish' you had a comp release...hopefully for good reason...

I say this cause the 10-10 is the same chassis, which had a 3.3cu in (without a comp release) and a 3.55 with a comp release...as well as the 700/750/850 etc...

hopefully no one swapped a 3.3 in there...(i forget the CC size..although I prefer the metric system...)

I have 2 PM700's...(one for parts) both have the release..

You know, I had that ugly little thought too. All they would have had to do is replace the top cover with one that says PM700. That would be enough to fool me. Even if it is a 10-10 it's an awfully good running saw and for the small sum I paid for it I sure can't complain! To be honest, I grabbed it up pretty quick; any Mac would have been fine.

Found an old Super Pro 81 at a yard sale for $20 today:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

She's got a bit of cancer and the recoil is sticky, but I dribbled some fuel in the plug hole and it's got fire and plenty of compression, so I figured $20 wasn't bad. Heck, the near-new 24" chain is worth more at my dealer. It won't suck fuel from the tank though; likely needs a rebuild and/or new lines. All in good time.

Cancer or no cancer, very good deal for 20.00!!!

What's the best thing to get rid of the corrosion with? Acid, hydroxide?

the recoil would be easily replaced, if it's that bad, the bottom plate, bead blast, then sand off some material to smooth it out. Then the aformentioned etching primer to seal it up...

That's a smokin deal!! good job! I'll give you $25 :):clap:

Do you normally go 'yard sale-ing' or just happen to stumble across it ???

I've heard of people having cool finds, so figured it would maybe make sense to be looking.

J

Back