McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys... when I took the tank off and made new gaskets, I made sure of the hole for the crank pulses to come through.

I'll try opening up the adjusting screw (backing it out) all the way. See where that gets me. The manual pump ain't workin' either...

Gary

Thanks guys... when I took the tank off and made new gaskets, I made sure of the hole for the crank pulses to come through.

I'll try opening up the adjusting screw (backing it out) all the way. See where that gets me. The manual pump ain't workin' either...

Gary

When you had the auto pump off did you push on the piston to see if it would spring back out, there should be a spring to rebound it? If it is working correctly, you should be able to hear the pumping action of the auto pump when you push the piston. There is also a check valve that the oil pickup line attaches to inside the tank that could be causing your problem.

My IPL doesn't show any check valve. Unless it's built in to the nipple that the pickup attaches to.

Gary

It's part #14 in the IPL.
797oiler.jpg

Gary- In addition to the above, are the o-ring(s) on the pump piston still good? I know it seems silly, but if they don't make a good seal then the piston won't move much of anything. Also- is that side cover going to work?

Gary- In addition to the above, are the o-ring(s) on the pump piston still good? I know it seems silly, but if they don't make a good seal then the piston won't move much of anything. Also- is that side cover going to work?

Side cover works great! Thanks again... :)

New o-rings. and #14 is what I was thinkin' about. I just thought it was a nipple for the pickup tube. I took the allen head screw #13 out and can see the check valve through the hole... don't know if a little shot of compressed air will help?

I really don't wanna tear the tank back off... but if I have to... I will.

Ugh... :laugh:

Jacob... you near a phone?

Gary

Mark... you prolly did point it out, but I don't remember. :blush:

After talking with Jacob (for 2 hours...lol) I tried a quick shot of carb cleaner down the hole behind the allen head screw. Blew it out with compressed air, and you wouldn't believe the nasty crap that blew back out of there. I did that a few more times, filled the tank halfway with red ATF. Thinner than bar oil, and I would be able to see it. Ran the saw a bit, and have a little bit of oil showing now. But the manual oiler is now stuck. Plunger won't spring back. Don't know if the carb cleaner got down there and gummed up the o-ring or what.

Anyways... I will tackle it again later... gonna turn in early for the night.

Gary

But the manual oiler is now stuck. Plunger won't spring back. Don't know if the carb cleaner got down there and gummed up the o-ring or what.

Anyways... I will tackle it again later... gonna turn in early for the night.

Gary

That o-ring and plunger needs to be lubed well. I cleaned mine with carb cleaner and it got stuck just the same. I put a little bar oil on it and now it's slick as a whistle.

I just got a new adjustable SDC carb that came on the CP125 saws. I want to put it on my SP125 to replace the fixed high side tillotson that is on there now. What is the max rpm that the sp125, with the chrome bore, should turn. I want to adjust the high side to the factory rpm spec, I just don't know what it supposed to be. Does anyone have a manual that list the max no load rpm?

Gary, if you remove the set screw/plug over the pick up nipple with the check valve, you should be able to apply a little compressed air and force the plunger back against the push rod if it is stuck.

Fill the hole with oil and replace the plug, then see if that will free it up.

I ended up having to polish the bore of the oiler a bit to get my 440 to slide freely which indeed would require removing the tank again if you must do the same.

Mark

The SP81 lives - carb question tho

Well I managed to get the old corroded SP81 I picked up on Sunday going with minimal effort. Truth be told it took longer to file the chain than get it running.

The fuel line is surprisingly just as supple as new; thank heavens because they're not easy to find OR get to seal at the carb box / fuel tank divider, at least based on my 10-10 experience. This thing looks mostly the same. The carb was also still completely serviceable, though the metering diaphragm is ever so slightly distorted and should still be replaced. Here's my Mac carb question - both the 10-10's carb and this one had been built with BOTH the rubber and the stiffer "plastic" (not sure what it's made of) pump/valve diaphragms installed, one on top of the other; are they supposed to be like this, or is it just coincidence that both guys thought they needed to use all the parts in the rebuild kit bag?. I rebuilt this one with only the rubber diaphragm, and it seems to be just fine without the other one.

I primed it with some fuel down the carb and it fired right up. At first it wouldn't pull fuel and would quickly die, but after three or four tries it finally loosened up and I was able to tune it. It still intermittently runs rich at WOT (though cuts just the same under load), but seems to hold an idle and accelerate OK, so I'm hoping a new metering diaphragm will even things out.

With that in mind though, the piston and cylinder didn't look too pretty through the intake port when I had the carb off - there are a couple score lines on the intake side of the piston, and what I could see of the exhaust side cylinder wall was worse. One of the muffler bolts was rusted too badly to remove without a good soak in some penetrant first - I ended up spinning one of my allen wrenches off on it, it was stuck so tight. I still may end up drilling/cutting the head off just to be able to remove the muffler and then take care of the bolt stud with a pair of vise grips or something.

Even still, the thing makes really good compression. It felt pretty strong even cold, but once I got it hot, I could hold it up by the starter rope for a good 10 seconds before it dropped a turn. I didn't have much to test it out in - only a chunk of ~9" Pine. It cut pretty well, even considering that I took the cutters back a fair bit but didn't bother with the rakers. They looked like they've never been touched; once I get the FOP to them it should bite a fair bit better. One thing I can say is that this saw is NOT good for noodling! There is hardly any clearance around the clutch/sprocket and it packs tight after just a few inches of cutting. The oiler took a while to clear out and get going; the manual plunger was a bit sticky right off the bat too but freed up after some use and seems to work.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with it given the condition of the topend. I don't think I'd put it above a 181SE (feel free to :buttkick:!) though a new topend just might do it. It's surprisingly smooth on the vibes and fairly quiet, too. I do still need to give this thing a full teardown, so I'll work on the piston and cylinder as much as I can then. My friend MIGHT have a piston for this thing, but it may not be much better. I can't really complain though with how it's performing as-is; not worth sinking a bunch of money into finding a piston at any rate.

I would make a video with this saw, but not until I get the corrosion taken care of.

Last edited:
Gary, if you remove the set screw/plug over the pick up nipple with the check valve, you should be able to apply a little compressed air and force the plunger back against the push rod if it is stuck.

Fill the hole with oil and replace the plug, then see if that will free it up.

I ended up having to polish the bore of the oiler a bit to get my 440 to slide freely which indeed would require removing the tank again if you must do the same.

Mark

Will do Mark... last thing I wanna do is pull the tank again. I'll prolly get to it next week... as I'm headed to Eastern WA on Saturday to hunt Merriam's for 5 days.

Gary

I just got a new adjustable SDC carb that came on the CP125 saws. I want to put it on my SP125 to replace the fixed high side tillotson that is on there now. What is the max rpm that the sp125, with the chrome bore, should turn. I want to adjust the high side to the factory rpm spec, I just don't know what it supposed to be. Does anyone have a manual that list the max no load rpm?

Anyone know this?

Anyone know this?

I just looked through a couple of editions of Intertec Chain Saw Service Manuals (#'s 4, 6, & 7) I have that listed the CP-125 & SP-125.

"Model SP125 and later model CP125 are equipped with a throttle latch to advance the throttle to a fast idle position for starting. Throttle opening is adjusted by turning adjusting screw on bottom of trigger.

Start engine and be sure it is at operating temperature. Load engine (make a cut) and turn main adjustment needle counter-clockwise (richen) in increments of 1/16-turn until engine begins to run rough, then turn the main adjustment needle clockwise (lean) until engine roughness just disappears. BE SURE to make the main adjustment while saw is under load which will provide a slightly rich mixture. If main fuel adjustment is made while saw is not under load, mixture will tend to be lean and damage to engine from overheating and insufficient lubrication could result."

I got the walbro sdc adjustable carb on my SP125C. What a big difference! I thought this saw was awesome before. With this adjustable carb, I was able to fatten the high side up some more, which really gave this saw some balls. I also think that the adjustable sdc has a bigger bore than the fixed tilloston HS. Bring on the O90s! :)

I got the walbro sdc adjustable carb on my SP125C. What a big difference! I thought this saw was awesome before. With this adjustable carb, I was able to fatten the high side up some more, which really gave this saw some balls. I also think that the adjustable sdc has a bigger bore than the fixed tilloston HS. Bring on the O90s! :)
This weekend would have been a good one for a timed race.

Back