McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone heard of a 2-10PS? I don't find that in any of my IPL's. I "accidently" bought this saw on that hated but popular auction site. I thought it would go higher, the guy has like 11000 feedback with 100% rating. I don't have a 2-10 in my collection so it will be a good addition.

View attachment 253427

View attachment 253428

Have they changed something again? I can't seem to get the photos to embed in the post any more as they used to. I use photobucket.

The PS stands for 'Power Sharp,' a feature that allows the operator to sharpen the chain on the saw. The clutch cover on the saw you bought has had that clutch cover swapped out. It was posted ealier here:http://www.arboristsite.com/stickies/9809-1179.htm#post3840869.

Ted I was in error when we discussed the PS setup yesterday. Looking at the 10-series SM again, I see that the PS stone mechanism attaches to the bottom of the crankcase of the saw, instead of living in the clutch cover. Not sure how it's actuated. Since that saw has the same 'multi function' thumb button as my Super 2-10A (and has the DSP valve), I guess it's possible that the button also actuates the PS stone. The button on my saw functions as a kill switch, throttle lock, and DSP button. Not sure how they'd incorporate the PS feature. Maybe it's actuated when the DSP valve is open (and the throttle lock is on)...

The SM even instructs the technition to put locktite on the screws and reinstall them in the crankcase if removing the PS hardware on a customer's request. IF it's linked to the throttle lock/DSP function, I'd certainly remove it from any saw that I had. I do like how the PS setup does NOT alter the look of the clutch cover/starter on this saw, unlike the PS setup on most other saws. I just looked at the seller's pics in the ebay listing, and the PS stuff is indeed still intact on the bottom of the saw. That's a REALLY nice looking 2-10PS. Boda65 got a great deal on it, especially with the literature and the big storage box.

Ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-McC...DQAzysynJ5A6xsm9Fbd/md0=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

10-Series SM download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?w4rk7019mhk7md6

Last edited:
Bumped over here from the Swap Meet thread.

Can someone help out the OP? This is to bring an SP81 back to working order.

Hello all and thanks for any help.
I'm looking for a Walbro SDC 38A carb
10-10 fuel line (#64848)
spring insert (#67944)

Jon - fuel line and carburetor are on e-bay all the time. The spring for the fuel line can be purchased from Bob Johnson (607 638 9297) if he can't find one elsewhere.

Come on guys, this is the McCulloch thread and you've all been slipping.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Jon - fuel line and carburetor are on e-bay all the time. The spring for the fuel line can be purchased from Bob Johnson (607 638 9297) if he can't find one elsewhere.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Here's one for you: I had a big tree in my yard about the size of the one you're working on and my Echo/JD 80EV was purring along until it wasn't. Heard a big scraping noise and shut it off, had to finish the job with my trusty Pro Mac 610. Man, those things are reliable! Cut through that big tree like it was a sapling! Glad I had a good chain on it...
At second glance mine wasn't quite that big, but it was close. Turns out the JD flywheel had come loose and was scraping against the cover..glad I shut it off when I did!

Last edited:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Mark,
Yeah I gave the OP on the parts need some links once I established that the SDC 38A was the fully adjustable carburetor.

By the way it looks like it took you an awfully long time to get that tree cut up.......I mean the Seasons changed before you got done..........LOL!!!

This is the McCulloch thread after all, what did you expect?

Mark

1. Some pictures of some "purty" yellow saws.

2. Helpful advice from knowledgable people.

3. A smattering of sarcasm liberally applied to the above two.

Mission Accomplished!

Mark,
Yeah I gave the OP on the parts need some links once I established that the SDC 38A was the fully adjustable carburetor.

By the way it looks like it took you an awfully long time to get that tree cut up.......I mean the Seasons changed before you got done..........LOL!!!

And just how did you establish that???:jester:

Yeah, yeah, we're all slipping downhill on a muddy slope... still haven't gotten around to fixing the recoil cover on the 790... so no test runs/cuts either.

Forgot to take a picture, but I had the Ranger loaded with firewood (ash to be specific...) and the trailer as well. Tires on the trailer were at 20 psi when I left home, looked fine, no problem holding the trailer up and not bouncing around like a kangaroo. However, they looked like this after I loaded the trailer all the way up...

under_inflation.gif

I had to quick drive across the street to the gas station after I got it fully loaded with rounds and splits about 30 miles south of here. We're talking about 1000-1500 on the trailer and 500 or so in the back of the truck (tires on the trailer had to be aired up to the max sidewall pressure of 60 psi, and there was about 1/2" to 1" of suspension travel for the trailer tires... truck was loaded up as well, just a little above flat springs.

No problems making it home. The old Ranger did the job, albeit slowly and deliberately, like Darth Vader. 55-60 was the fastest I went due to the truck handling a little squirrely, (could've used sway control) and on the way home, I lost a Bearing Buddy on one of the trailer hubs... I can take a pic of that if you want proof...

Got busy stacking firewood for this season... I have a feeling that this may be a very snowy winter, maybe not too cold, but lots and lots of snow. I hope it will be anyways...

As for yellow saws, I need to get more organized to allow more to find their way into the barn. It's been a while since I've been hit by yellow fever, but I know it'll hit again. And possibly like a lead filled fireproof safe dropped off of the 30th floor of a skyscraper...

And I fired up the wood stove yesterday. Still burning right now.

Latest posts

Back