Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, I don't remember saying to put the Husky bar on a Mac! The adjuster holes would need alot of work for that!

No you didn't, but I saw it on the pdf on the thread. It seemed to fit pretty good which got me wondering if it was the right bar on the Husky I had. I got a bunch (around 20) of parts saws at the same time and they were in all sorts of disrepair, most were just good for parts and many had things missing. They were all different brands also. It could be that the bar was on that Mac. I looked on the bar and all I could see were a bunch of part numbers and "Made in Canada" so I assume this was a replacement bar. Now I'll have to find a clutch sprocket before I can do anything more with this saw.

Last edited:
Sionce this is the official Poulan thread I decided to ask this question on here. Is the BP655 really considered a Poulan or is it considered a Pioneer design? I will also be asking this question over on the Pioneer thread so maybe we will get some different views from both sides.

Pioneerguy600

May I be the first to welcome you to the Poulan thread my Pioneer loving friend! :cheers:

You come bringing deep questions that I'm not sure we can confirm, but our brand preference's should be put aside in the effort to answer that question.

I have said before that I have no Pioneer experience as they were pretty rare in the area that I have lived in all my life.

The heartland of the middle US was never really big timber land so the really big saws were never really common either.

You having experience with the original Pioneers and having both in your possession will give you the advantage as to if the saws and there parts are indeed identical, but that is only one part of the question.

I am looking forward to tomorrow, as I got a call today from Cbfarmall/Chris and we plan to get together tomorrow and I should get my first chance to actually see and run a Poulan Pro 655BP saw. (as well as the Dolmar rebadged Poulan 6000!)

At this point I have always considered the Poulan Pro 655, 525 and 455 as Pioneer saws. After some study though I do believe they could be considered Poulan saws.

The reason that I say that is that it is common knowledge that
Elux bought out Pioneer in 1979, we also know that the Peterborough Pioneer plant was essentially closed in 1984. It seems that something with a few employees continued on in Peterborough untill 1989. Was that some the Pioneer/Partner bussiness going on there?

We also know that in 1979 that Pioneer was heavy in debt and probably would have closed without the Elux buyout. Why did Elux buy out the Pioneer factory and take on all that debt?

We know that none of the Elux saw companies had the patents and equipment to make there own saw chains and saw bars, which would have made Pioneer attractive but I have another question. Was the bigger P series saws and all the tooling and machinery pretty new at that time in 1979?

Maybe if all that was new, it would have been appealling to Elux as well.

Also what I would like to know is actually how much of a exact copy was the Poulan Pro to the Pioneers of that design. Was there improvements over the original designs?

Did the 655 have boost ports that the Pioneer didn't have? These are legitment questions to me.

No matter how you look at it, the Poulan Pro line was introduced in 1988. As far as I'm concerned and as far as I know, there was no Pioneer at that time. Where were the Pioneer based saws manufactured at that time in 1988-1989? We know there was no Pioneer factory in Peterborough then.

Were they manufactered in the Poulan US plant? I would guess so but I don't know for sure.

So with what I know (or think I know) I would say that they are a Poulan saw without a doubt.

Yes you could say its not a pure Poulan saw and I would agree, but if there was no Pioneer at that time, you cannot say they were rebadged Pioneers even if they were mostly a Pioneer design and manufactured on the Pioneer machinery.

If we find out the Poulan Pro saws were exact copies of the Pioneers then I would say they were way less pure but if they were not exact clones and had improvements to the original designs it would only reinforce my opinion that they were Poulan saws.

Feel free to disagree with anything above and reply with your opinon and facts. Also feel free to copy and paste this to the Pioneer thead for the other Pioneers guys opinons.

May I be the first to welcome you to the Poulan thread my Pioneer loving friend! :cheers:

You come bringing deep questions that I'm not sure we can confirm, but our brand preference's should be put aside in the effort to answer that question.

I have said before that I have no Pioneer experience as they were pretty rare in the area that I have lived in all my life.

The heartland of the middle US was never really big timber land so the really big saws were never really common either.

You having experience with the original Pioneers and having both in your possession will give you the advantage as to if the saws and there parts are indeed identical, but that is only one part of the question.

I am looking forward to tomorrow, as I got a call today from Cbfarmall/Chris and we plan to get together tomorrow and I should get my first chance to actually see and run a Poulan Pro 655BP saw. (as well as the Dolmar rebadged Poulan 6000!)

At this point I have always considered the Poulan Pro 655, 525 and 455 as Pioneer saws. After some study though I do believe they could be considered Poulan saws.

The reason that I say that is that it is common knowledge that
Elux bought out Pioneer in 1979, we also know that the Peterborough Pioneer plant was essentially closed in 1984. It seems that something with a few employees continued on in Peterborough untill 1989. Was that some the Pioneer/Partner bussiness going on there?

We also know that in 1979 that Pioneer was heavy in debt and probably would have closed without the Elux buyout. Why did Elux buy out the Pioneer factory and take on all that debt?

We know that none of the Elux saw companies had the patents and equipment to make there own saw chains and saw bars, which would have made Pioneer attractive but I have another question. Was the bigger P series saws and all the tooling and machinery pretty new at that time in 1979?

Maybe if all that was new, it would have been appealling to Elux as well.

Also what I would like to know is actually how much of a exact copy was the Poulan Pro to the Pioneers of that design. Was there improvements over the original designs?

Did the 655 have boost ports that the Pioneer didn't have? These are legitment questions to me.

No matter how you look at it, the Poulan Pro line was introduced in 1988. As far as I'm concerned and as far as I know, there was no Pioneer at that time. Where were the Pioneer based saws manufactured at that time in 1988-1989? We know there was no Pioneer factory in Peterborough then.

Were they manufactered in the Poulan US plant? I would guess so but I don't know for sure.

So with what I know (or think I know) I would say that they are a Poulan saw without a doubt.

Yes you could say its not a pure Poulan saw and I would agree, but if there was no Pioneer at that time, you cannot say they were rebadged Pioneers even if they were mostly a Pioneer design and manufactured on the Pioneer machinery.

If we find out the Poulan Pro saws were exact copies of the Pioneers then I would say they were way less pure but if they were not exact clones and had improvements to the original designs it would only reinforce my opinion that they were Poulan saws.

Feel free to disagree with anything above and reply with your opinon and facts. Also feel free to copy and paste this to the Pioneer thead for the other Pioneers guys opinons.

Thanks for that in depth answer Mark, there is a lot of grey area with Pioneer toward their last days as they had partnered with PARTNER chainsaws before Elux bought out the works and eventually swallowed up the entire Pioneer chainsaw line. We lost our Pioneer dealer here around 1979 and that`s when my interest in the Pioneer saws dropped off. There was no internet back then and it was very hard to get any info on what was going on. There was little coverage in the newspapers of the time and it seems like I am always playing catch up on what went on during those last days of a chainsaw manufacturer that meant a lot to us Canadians. Now that I own a BP655 I will completely tear this saw down and compare it part for part with an older P60-62 but there may still be some questions as to who designed the boost port and were they avaliable on the big P series as a stock item or as an after sales upgrade.
Pioneerguy600

Well Mark and Jerry I found one of the reasons that I love this site. THANK YOU both for your knowledge and the wealth of information.

Yep!! I agree :clap:

I know little about the saws mentioned, other than the fact I would like one of those 655BP's

Nice just to sit back and read stuff from a couple real knowledgable fellows, without the squabbling that usually comes of such things.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Thanks for that in depth answer Mark, there is a lot of grey area with Pioneer toward their last days as they had partnered with PARTNER chainsaws before Elux bought out the works and eventually swallowed up the entire Pioneer chainsaw line. We lost our Pioneer dealer here around 1979 and that`s when my interest in the Pioneer saws dropped off. There was no internet back then and it was very hard to get any info on what was going on. There was little coverage in the newspapers of the time and it seems like I am always playing catch up on what went on during those last days of a chainsaw manufacturer that meant a lot to us Canadians. Now that I own a BP655 I will completely tear this saw down and compare it part for part with an older P60-62 but there may still be some questions as to who designed the boost port and were they avaliable on the big P series as a stock item or as an after sales upgrade.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry the info that I found shows the Pioneer/Partner merge did not happen untill after the Elux buy out in 1979. I thought that Pioneer operated on its own untill its closing in 1984.

Seems there was still some activity at the Peterborough plant up untill 1989 and my thoughts are wondering if that was the Pioneer/Partner merger going on at that time. Seems that Partner ceased operations around 89 also, so that makes sense to me.

I don't know who was pitching, who was catching and who was coaching in those days with the Pioneer/Partner/Poulan/Elux saga, but I know that I am jealous as hell that Mark is going to put one of those big beauties to the wood tomorrow!!!!!
I believe I would MUCH rather be doing that than slogging around in the snow/mud/rain tomorrow.

Mike

I don't know who was pitching, who was catching and who was coaching in those days with the Pioneer/Partner/Poulan/Elux saga, but I know that I am jealous as hell that Mark is going to put one of those big beauties to the wood tomorrow!!!!!
I believe I would MUCH rather be doing that than slogging around in the snow/mud/rain tomorrow.

Mike

What snow? Ours is almost gone after today. :)

Here is a pict of mine today cutting up a little yellow birch, it was throwing noodles 20' out from the bar.

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201143.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201142.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Great Pictures Jerry!
I dern near bought one of those couple years ago, when I was looking for a large saw to use for milling purposes. But the the full wrap handle that it had, and the design of the clutch/bar cover had me worried it might not be a good candidate for that. Sure would have been nice to have anyway.:clap:

I ended up with a 385xp, and I use it a lot more than I figured I would. Sure would have been nice though, having a 655bp with a 36" bar for tackling big oak trees.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Here is a pict of mine today cutting up a little yellow birch, it was throwing noodles 20' out from the bar.

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201143.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201142.jpg

Pioneerguy600

I have that saw's little brother a 455 that I am restoring. I think it will be a fine cutting machine. I have done some chainging on it as I couldn't stand the cheesey plastic recoil cover and has been replaced with a metal cover assy. I found some NOS parts and it should be ready for reviews in a couple of months. I've got others (paying victims) on the bench ahead of this. Good looking saw that 655, wish they had been used around here.

I have that saw's little brother a 455 that I am restoring. I think it will be a fine cutting machine. I have done some chainging on it as I couldn't stand the cheesey plastic recoil cover and has been replaced with a metal cover assy. I found some NOS parts and it should be ready for reviews in a couple of months. I've got others (paying victims) on the bench ahead of this. Good looking saw that 655, wish they had been used around here.

Thanks , this saw is new to me, never had one before. If anyone has any info on where to get the BP655 decals I would appreciate any info on them. I think there is one for the recoil,clutch cover and both sides of the air box.
I will be lloking for the picts of your 455 and hope it works good for you.
Pioneerguy600

Back