Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like those old things, here is a add from 1977 that I got today.
attachment.php

So this afternoon I tore the 306A down. I have new seals coming soon for it. My question is the gas tank is full of a brown/tan/whiteish corrosion. How in the world do you remove this stuff. I'm sure it's from the gas/oil sitting for many years. I don't have a sand blaster. My concern is putting something on it to remove the corrosion but I'm affraid it would hurt the mag. If needed I can post a picture. Please help.

Mark, Is that photo in black and white or color? It's cool to see stuff like that. I was one 1 at that time.... but stuff like that interests me.

Mark, Is that photo in black and white or color? It's cool to see stuff like that. I was one 1 at that time.... but stuff like that interests me.

Congrats on 1K!

The photo is black and white. 1977 remember? LOL

Do you have the cover off the 306 tank? If so I sometimes use a small wire brush in a drill or die grinder and lightly just buff it off. Works for me.

Congrats on 1K!

The photo is black and white. 1977 remember? LOL

Do you have the cover off the 306 tank? If so I sometimes use a small wire brush in a drill or die grinder and lightly just buff it off. Works for me.

HAHA yeah I remember.... I was one at that time.. I'm a young whipper snapper... I'll try that tomorrow. I thought of that but is there something to spray in it so it won't happen again?

I realised something else today as to why Poulan enlisted Dolmar to badge a couple of saws for them.

Seems for awhile Poulan was lagging behind in there bigger saws. Maybe they just paid to much attention to the mid sized saws. I mean look at my 71-A and realise that saw was made up into the early-mid 70's!

Haveing Dolamar badge a couple of big ones for them was a easy way to keep up with the compitition while they were developing there excelllent 4200 on up saws.

Remember that Poulan also rebadged little saws for Dolmar at that time also.

When I get a chance and if I can remember how to do it, we done a couple really short videos and I'll try to post them here.

As promised Chris brought his big gun Poulans over today and I have to say there awsome even if there not "pure" Poulans.

I only wish I had a bigger piece of wood here to do them justice.

I hate you.........................in a "brotherly love" sort of way!!!
Well, go ahead and brag.....tell us all about how great they are and how well they pull and run.
Tell us what current saws they are most like. Let's hear all of the gory details. LOL

Mike

Here Mike this is for you if I can do this right. He is cutting through a tough yoke of the tree right there.

<embed src="http://img37.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Pchrisandcraftsman522" width="352" height="284" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>
<a href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Modifiedmark">[More videos from Modifiedmark]</a>

I should have caught it idleing a little longer, as I love the way these 5200's sound.

Last edited:
That 5.2 would be zippin' if you weren't cutting through that burl!

Mike

Well I like to be realistic, you don't cut around them in the field do you?

This is the first time it has cut anything since I got it running and we had just reset the carb. It seems to run very good!

I hope to try it out in the big oak this week if the farmer wants to get that tree down like he says.

I should have got video of that 655 and 6000, trust me they rock!

The 655 is very stout and nice, but the 6000 is just thinner and feels better. The 655 I think really needs some bigger wood to get a good impression of it.

Chris and I also to a little ride over to meet Brushwacker John at his place and I picked a couple of bars up from him. There nice Power Match Z095 bars that will convert to fit my 365 real easy. There 70dl bars instead of the useall 72dl bars like most small husky bars are.

He had some more if anyone wants some.

Here is the 71-A chugging through that same knot.

<embed src="http://img202.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Pchrisand71a" width="352" height="284" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>
<a href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Modifiedmark">[More videos from Modifiedmark]</a>

Last edited:
Thanks for the Pictures Mark. Good to see some seldom seen "Poulans".:)
I kinda agree with ya on the 6000, thats a sleek lookin machine there.

By the way, hows the shoulder feeling? after giving it some proper excersize..:greenchainsaw:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Thanks for the Pictures Mark. Good to see some seldom seen "Poulans".:)
I kinda agree with ya on the 6000, thats a sleek lookin machine there.

By the way, hows the shoulder feeling? after giving it some proper excersize..:greenchainsaw:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Lets just say it knows it got exercised!

Trying to get the 71-A lit off was the worst for it. For some reason it flooded bad.....

Thanks , this saw is new to me, never had one before. If anyone has any info on where to get the BP655 decals I would appreciate any info on them. I think there is one for the recoil,clutch cover and both sides of the air box.
I will be lloking for the picts of your 455 and hope it works good for you.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, here is Chris's nice 655 with all the decals.

attachment.php

attachment.php

As promised Chris brought his big gun Poulans over today and I have to say there awsome even if there not "pure" Poulans.

I only wish I had a bigger piece of wood here to do them justice.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark is that the 71A in the last image ?

Woodchuck glad you got the part it did not take the postal service long at all to get it there

Latest posts

Back