Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your getting closer but are you hitting the button "attach image" it's yellow and has a grey mountain in it, it's right under the back arrow.

Your getting closer but are you hitting the button "attach image" it's yellow and has a grey mountain in it, it's right under the back arrow.

I agree his link is working, just needs to get it in the right place now.

stupid HTML code

Don't know if this will help ya any, but when I post a pic in the forums, like this one, I have to use IMG code, and when I post a pic in the Poulan Group, I have to use HTML code. Don't know why:dizzy:
I use PhotoBucket, but I guess others are probably the same.

After you put the picture link in the post, try hitting "Preveiw Post" That way you can see if you found suscess or not. If you see your pic there, then click on Submit Reply.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Calvin should be able to get you that screw. Do you have the tang that goes in the bar or is that missing also?

If you have that, for now you can just get a 10-24 screw from the hardware store and put a thin locking nut behind it to get you going.

I believe that screw and tang can still be ordered from Poulan but I have not looked lately.

if i have it in the parts bin is only $ .85 cents

sprocket drum washer(3400)

Ran out of the washer that goes on crank prior to sprocket. OEM washer is
.048 in. thick whereas the couple I found at the local hardware store are .078 in. . ID and OD of washers are the same. Does anyone see a problem using these w/o affecting alignment of chain?

Bob

Ran out of the washer that goes on crank prior to sprocket. OEM washer is
.048 in. thick whereas the couple I found at the local hardware store are .078 in. . ID and OD of washers are the same. Does anyone see a problem using these w/o affecting alignment of chain?

Bob

Funny, i lost my washer putting my 3400 back together yesterday. I went to the store and found the washers that fit. The problem was when I tightend the clutch, the washer was to thick, and wouldnt let the clutch free-wheel. Not sure of the thickness tho.

Funny, i lost my washer putting my 3400 back together yesterday. I went to the store and found the washers that fit. The problem was when I tightend the clutch, the washer was to thick, and wouldnt let the clutch free-wheel. Not sure of the thickness tho.

Was wondering about that possibilty Joe. May have to pull clutch off another saw and install washer to see if I get the same results as you. Will keep you posted.
Bob

I was pi$$ed when I couldnt find it, its an odd size and the hardware store didnt have it. Tore my shop apart looking for it. Then I looked at my spare clutch/drum setup, of course that was the only part missing:censored:. I found a washer that was close so its on now. Keep us posted.

I was pi$$ed when I couldnt find it, its an odd size and the hardware store didnt have it. Tore my shop apart looking for it. Then I looked at my spare clutch/drum setup, of course that was the only part missing:censored:. I found a washer that was close so its on now. Keep us posted.

Well i had same results as you. Too tight, so drum won't spin freely around clutch. Reinstalled old washer and it worked fine. Hopefully we can still find them on the internet. Ist amazing how things get lost in the shop. I put to much torque in removing clutch and parts flew all over the place. NOw I have to look for two missing shoes. Luckily I have extra clutches but can't afford to loose those two shoes.

Bob

i've got a clutch from a poulan woodshark. are you guys talking about the thin black washer about the size of a quarter. if some1 needs it i've got one

Well i had same results as you. Too tight, so drum won't spin freely around clutch. Reinstalled old washer and it worked fine. Hopefully we can still find them on the internet. Ist amazing how things get lost in the shop. I put to much torque in removing clutch and parts flew all over the place. NOw I have to look for two missing shoes. Luckily I have extra clutches but can't afford to loose those two shoes.

Bob

Tomorrow Ill resume the search for mine!
Kev1n yeah, thats the washer.

Thanks. I may be able to get them from Sears, I still have my old 4200/5200 owners manual.:greenchainsaw:

This is the 3400 with the charred bar and chain and a picture of my owners manual for the 4200/5200:)

I see that the date on my owners manual was 1980 so my old 4200 was 29 years old when it melted.....

That manual is nice, I have a 5.2/30 Craftsman and could not find that.

Don't suppose you could scan that?

bar adjustment screw on 4200

Don't forget the locknut that keeps it from backing out. I did, had to grind
away some the thickness of locking nut to fit into slot to
prevent loss of screw.
I have a spare screw in my small parts box #530015253, it has a bigger
head and made of stronger material than hardware store 10/24 screws.

well been talking poulan saw a while so bought time i prove i belong. here is a new to me 4200. nastiest saw i ever seen. don't know huw it was running but after about 4 hours here it is
jnl

Looking for a nice cheap bar for my newly aquired 3400 and came across a Poulan pro hardnose 21in with 21bp50 on the pkg and 6754483 on the bar itself. The guy that has it doesn't know anything about. Bar looks nice and the price is right just want to make sure it will fit.

Thanks,
Frank

4200 & 5400

I have a 4200 I bought NOS, They had been upgraded to 4400.
When I burned wood, that is what I used.
I picked up a 5400 that been used & abused by loggers, scrounged up
up a used handlebar, clutch cover & installed a new piston. This was
back in the 80's; I still have them and they still run.

Back