Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that Skil. But if you want, I got a complete one and 2 boxes of parts, enough to put another together if you want.

I was just wondering if the Skil chainsaws are collectible since I guess they quit making them. I know where there's one at but I took McCullochs and Homelites instead. I left the Skil there but can go back and get it any time. I tried to get a Poulan 306A but they said it wasn't for sale. Darn! I know that one would be good to have.
Right now I have my hands full with 4 Mini-Macs. I'm gonna try to make 3 good ones out of the 4 but may have to settle for 2.

Last edited:
Hey guys I just picked up a model 91 poulan on ebay for $70.00 shipped. It looks good and complete. It is supposed to be frozen, but as nice as the saw looks, I think there is a good chance that it is just frozen from sitting (I can repair it anyway). Anyway I don't know anything about this generation of poulans and was wondering if anyone had any input as far as tips on servicing them, how they cut, reliability? All I know is that they look tough and are 100cc's. Also I think they have a tillotson carb.Any help from some of you "Poulan" gurus would be appreciated. Thanks

306A Runs!!!!!!!!

Well after some cleaning and parts finding, she finally runs. Now I'm looking for a wrap handle and a muffler cover for it. Only problem is I need to put a new gasket on the top of the fuel tank. She piddles a bit. But here are some pics. Can't wait to put it into some wood.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I rep'ed ya for that. Looks great. It's going to be painted soon. I'm going to have to tear down the 3400 it goes on. Leaking seals. I might just wait a few weeks and paint it. It might be warm enough then. Thanks again.

Well after some cleaning and parts finding, she finally runs. Now I'm looking for a wrap handle and a muffler cover for it. Only problem is I need to put a new gasket on the top of the fuel tank. She piddles a bit. But here are some pics. Can't wait to put it into some wood.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice. Those are well made saws. I may have a handle bar for you. When the 744 gets here it is supposed to have a wrap handle and I have a poulan 245A th runs but needs a clutch cover that I was going to use to make sure the 744 runs. Anyway once I see what it needs then I will know if i'm not going to need the handle. I will let you know if you haven't gotten one by then.

Hey guys I just picked up a model 91 poulan on ebay for $70.00 shipped. It looks good and complete. It is supposed to be frozen, but as nice as the saw looks, I think there is a good chance that it is just frozen from sitting (I can repair it anyway). Anyway I don't know anything about this generation of poulans and was wondering if anyone had any input as far as tips on servicing them, how they cut, reliability? All I know is that they look tough and are 100cc's. Also I think they have a tillotson carb.Any help from some of you "Poulan" gurus would be appreciated. Thanks

Way to go HOSS, I know nothing about the the old beasts, other than I too would like one sometime. :clap: I'm sure Mark will be along later, he has some experince with the older iron. Thomas72 also...I believe.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Nice lookin 306 also Scott! I see that i'm going to have to branch out a little, and try some of these older Poulans. Sure been alot of them popping up on here lately it seems. Those 306,245, type saws look to me like a S25DA saw on steroids! :)

Gregg,

Hoss I'm no expert on these older ones, but I'm thinking the 91 is much like my 71-A just bigger at 100cc compared to 92cc. They are cool old saws but I don't think they will overwhelm you in cutting perfomance. Just solid saws they start and get er done. Yes I'm sure that it will have a Tilly HL on it and once you figure out the sequence on removing the carb its not a bad job.

I know it took me some figureing and some outside help to find the cover behind the recoil cover that needs to be removed on to get to the carb nut when removing it.

I have a little documentation on these saws if you need it, let me know but I have no IPL on the 91. Thomas72 is the one that knows these older ones the best.

Nice. Those are well made saws. I may have a handle bar for you. When the 744 gets here it is supposed to have a wrap handle and I have a poulan 245A th runs but needs a clutch cover that I was going to use to make sure the 744 runs. Anyway once I see what it needs then I will know if i'm not going to need the handle. I will let you know if you haven't gotten one by then.

Just so you know the 245 front handle will not be right on the 306 as its much taller to clear the taller tank cover on the 245.

Last edited:
Hoss I'm no expert on these older ones, but I'm thinking the 91 is much like my 71-A just bigger at 100cc compared to 92cc. They are cool old saws but I don't think they will overwhelm you in cutting perfomance. Just solid saws they start and get er done. Yes I'm sure that it will have a Tilly HL on it and once you figure out the sequence on removing the carb its not a bad job.

I know it took me some figureing and some outside help to find the cover behind the recoil cover that needs to be removed on to get to the carb nut when removing it.

I have a little documentation on these saws if you need it, let me know but I have no IPL on the 91.

Just so you know the 245 front handle will not be right on the 306 as its much taller to clear the taller tank cover on the 245.

Does this mean that it will not mount up or will just be tall? If it is just a matter of being a bit tall but will still work then I guess ol Sefh3 will give me the yeah or neh on it. Thanks for the info Mark.:clap:

They are cool old saws but I don't think they will overwhelm you in cutting perfomance. Just solid saws they start and get er done.

So what yer sayin Mark is that I shouldn't mothball the homie 750's yet?

They are cool old saws but I don't think they will overwhelm you in cutting perfomance. Just solid saws they start and get er done.

So what yer sayin Mark is that I shouldn't mothball the homie 750's yet?

Well I have not run a 91 so I don't know for sure but then its only 8cc bigger then the 71-A and I don't think the 750 has anything to worry about.

Seriously though I still have not had the chance to put the 71-A into a big piece of wood yet and I'm just to the point of being able to lift it again also so maybe I'll get that chance soon. :cheers:

Hard to tell what that big ole saw will do when only cutting a 12" piece of wood.

just letting you all know i only will have 2 air filters left the 2558 ones i sold one to someone on this forum will be meeting them friday afternoon with there parts for a 71-A poulan but i letting you all know once these filters are gone i doubt i will be able to find more for quite some time

Last edited:
love my 3700

I have a few 3700 poulans along with a couple 2000 poulans.I also have a 394 Husky and a brand new modded 372 that is FAST !!!! I still grab the poulans most of the time though,don't ask me why.

I have a few 3700 poulans along with a couple 2000 poulans.I also have a 394 Husky and a brand new modded 372 that is FAST !!!! I still grab the poulans most of the time though,don't ask me why.

same here milkie62, I love my 385xp, especially on the BIG stuff, but my go-to saw is my 4000. Just seems to me that a saw in the 60-65cc range is just about perfect. Can be used for big & small stuff equally well. Guess thats why they are the ones I reach for.:)
Your also right concerning the 372xp. If had to buy a NEW saw, that would be it!:clap:

Gregg,

Does this mean that it will not mount up or will just be tall? If it is just a matter of being a bit tall but will still work then I guess ol Sefh3 will give me the yeah or neh on it. Thanks for the info Mark.:clap:

Heck if it will bolt up that means I just don't have to been over that far to pick it up. Hoss ~ I sent ya a PM.

hi guys i am new here. i have a 71a bow it needs clutch springs and 245a bow it needs a air filter. i love these old saws. i can't find parts.

hi jd if you can give me a call tommorrow i will have them springs with me along with what other parts we talked about my cell phone for some reason erased the number i dunno why that phone does that for

i will be pulling out around 10 or so

Junk Yellow Poulan saw

I went out today and hit a few saw shops. I made a nice haul. The last shop I stopped at was a Huskey dealer. I walked in and a salesman came up and asked to help me. I asked about any old or junks saws they may have for sale. He said that there may be an old junk yellow Poulan back there if I would be interested in that. "Sure I said". He comes back out with this and says 20 bucks. It is missing the clutch and sprocket. It runs perfect. 165 psi of comp. Where do I find a clutch for this "junk" yellow Poulan?:)
attachment.php
[/IMG]

Let me worry about the clutch after we make OUR "deal" on it.:hmm3grin2orange:Congrats on a nice find. You know where you can sell it if you decide you don't want to mess with it. Those are the swedish made pro's aren't they? You can probably find J-Red or husky clutches that will interchange if it is.

Back