Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 3800 is fixed!!! Thanks to moparman and lawnmowertech - thanks again guys for the parts. And thanks to BloodOnTheIce for givin' me a hand at his shop. :)

Here's a vid I uploaded to YouTube, It's my brothers and I hangin' out at my parents house. The saw has a brand new loop of square ground Stihl chain. Saw runs really good. :)

I'm wearing the black hoodie, big bro Keith is in the blue dress shirt, and younger bro Todd is in the purple shirt with the "target". ;)

We're goofballs. Just watch the vid. :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rnm_jRBVUdY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rnm_jRBVUdY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

My 3800 is fixed!!! Thanks to moparman and lawnmowertech - thanks again guys for the parts. And thanks to BloodOnTheIce for givin' me a hand at his shop. :)

Here's a vid I uploaded to YouTube, It's my brothers and I hangin' out at my parents house. The saw has a brand new loop of square ground Stihl chain. Saw runs really good. :)

I'm wearing the black hoodie, big bro Keith is in the blue dress shirt, and younger bro Todd is in the purple shirt with the "target". ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rnm_jRBVUdY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rnm_jRBVUdY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

glad to have helped
i will be getting more poulan parts in about 6 months from now

or maybe sooner than that

Excellent!! Nice job on that 3800:clap:
Theres alot worse things to be called than goofballs! LOL
Looked like a good time for sure.
Nice quality to your vids too!

:cheers:
Gregg,

Looks good!

Glad to have been involved in a microscopic sort of way.
Lean that carb a little on the top end and you will think you HAVE installed a turbo. It's running fat as a poor mans pig.

Mike

Looks good!

Glad to have been involved in a microscopic sort of way.
Lean that carb a little on the top end and you will think you HAVE installed a turbo. It's running fat as a poor mans pig.

Mike

Yeah I noticed that. I leaned it out as far as it will go and it's topping out at 8600...??:confused:

I thought that was a little low but I don't know the RPMs these saws are supposed to turn. I've been meaning to bring it up but I keep forgetting to do so.

How high are these saws supposed to run?? I haven't put a ton of thought into it as it IS a saw from the 80's. I wasn't expecting it to be anything over 10k. Maybe I'm wrong....

Yeah I noticed that. I leaned it out as far as it will go and it's topping out at 8600...??:confused:

I thought that was a little low but I don't know the RPMs these saws are supposed to turn. I've been meaning to bring it up but I keep forgetting to do so.

How high are these saws supposed to run?? I haven't put a ton of thought into it as it IS a saw from the 80's. I wasn't expecting it to be anything over 10k. Maybe I'm wrong....

Lookin at some Poulan brouchures, they list that series of saws at 8,500 rpm.
Now I know Brad got much more than that out of the 4000 he did some mods to. I don't own a tach, so can't give ya any real numbers on how mine run.:(

Gregg,

I would think that saw should "no load" at about 9500 rpm.

I've never owned a tach, always set them by ear, but it looks like that one is four strokin DEEP in the cut to me.
Tighten it up an eighth of a turn and see if it doesn't clean up a lot quicker and cut a bit faster.

Mike

I don't know what its supposed to be either. Never bothered to find out as never thought I needed to.

I do know that your saw is set too rich! Lean it out on the H side just a little and watch it go then.

Nice looking saw for sure and it sounds healthy.

I've tached all my 3400,s 3700's and 4000 and all had no problem at 10,500-11,000. Made some cuts and shut saw off while in the cut, checked plug color and they were a nice light brown. 10,500 should be very safe.
Bob

I'm glad they worked for ya Joe. Like I said, they aren't professional, but they are a good 10' away facsimily thereof..LOL

Gregg,

You kidding Gregg . I think they are great. Planning on putting a 4000 together from some of my parts and may need some 4000 decals. Maybe we can do a trade or whatever. Of course cash works well also.

Bob

You kidding Gregg . I think they are great. Planning on putting a 4000 together from some of my parts and may need some 4000 decals. Maybe we can do a trade or whatever. Of course cash works well also.

Bob

lol. Not a problem Bob, You helped me out in the past, big time. I'm gonna make a few more anyway. Wasn't totally satisfied with em. I have your address here somewhere I believe.

Gregg,

Micro XXV Check Valve for Oiler

Where can I get one? It's the aluminum plug that threads in the crankcase behind the clutch.

Try Calvin (Lawnmowertech 37)

He came up with a starter pawl spring for a Poulan 361 I have; it was made
in the 60's ASFAIK.

Hmm.

Seems like it's running right where it should be. Maybe I gotta give it less L.

The saw sounds a bit fat to me, but also stops 4 strokin' once it's pushed hard enough.

"Calling Andyshine". :D

I'd get some heat in the saw before final tuning, It sounds a little rich in the vid, but the these old Poulans seem to like running a bit rich, it ain't no ported 372.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back