Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look what I got the pleasure of working on tonight....:dizzy:..Actually a very clean little saw under the gunk...

What is the deal w/ the starter paws on these?...Didn't pull the recoil apart when I had it tore down...I think I should have because the rope is very loose and it doesn't like to grab everytime...:mad:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I found a complete PP330 for $25. Sounds like it is scored. Is that saw worth the cost of rebuild plus the $25 entry fee? I thought they were like $179 new at Tractor Supply.

I found a complete PP330 for $25. Sounds like it is scored. Is that saw worth the cost of rebuild plus the $25 entry fee? I thought they were like $179 new at Tractor Supply.

I think that TSC blew them all out, they may have gotten as low as $129 or $149. I just sold a PP 260 I got a while back and got the 295 going I got from Scooterbum. They seem OK for what they are.

I think the top end runs around $90.00 at my dealer.
They are definitely worth $115.00 if you need a real good firewood saw.
If you are repairing it to sell, you probably aren't going to pay for your time to rebuild it.
On the other hand it would probably part out for $100.00 on eeeeeeeeeeeeebay.

Mike

Mike pretty much covered it!!:) I'm not positive, but you might be able to put a 60cc top end on it. Would give it a little more muscle. Especially if you were going to keep it for your own use. Mark or Mike would know, I'm sure.
Some of those mid-size saws can be switched easily from 54-60cc.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Well if it falls in your lap for that and you dont want it, I'll give you your money back for it. I would like to use the top covers and filter setup on my PP365....

Oh and I found online the 330 cyl for about $40 the 380 cyl for $65 and both the 330 and 380 pistons were like $42.

Last edited:
3400 countervibe first impressions...

I like it. I like it Alot!!! Ya it does have a nice tone to it
few saws sound as sweet at idle as the 3400-4000 cv series do. I'll fire one up in the shop just to listen to it purr when I'm bored....

Sprayed out the carb and lowered rackers a touch more and she was boring pretty good into some oak and elm...throwing some chips about. Big difference from the PP180. !!

Just wish it had a chain brake on it. (I see there was an option at one time for one) Not sure if I saw a pic of one on here before with one, dial up too slow to read the entire postings again

Have chain catcher on order at least, plus carb kit, Do these things have a shelf life it they are still sealed?? rings are available in 2 weeks so I'll wait until then to pull the head. but curious to see inside. Do I need a base gasket or do you guys just use sealant?
attachment.php

Thought I would treat her to a new chain, think this one has done its share.
smile.gif
attachment.php
Still good as a spare. What do you guys recommend?, thinking of a semi chisel, some dirty trees around here. read all about skip chain and all that and am more confused than before. What do you use (has 16" bar that's still good, so is the sprocket)?

Reading some of the recent posts and see the benefits of a useful donor. Guess I need another one now eh?
Paul

Nice sore. Yes the 3400 is a fine saw. Why are you putting new rings in? Do you have low compression? I dont pull a jug unless i have to, low compression, scored p/c, or a big carbon buildup on the exhaust port. Parts are readily available. If your doing the carb kit, replace your fuel line, vent and filters and gaskets. Also, check the (2) 5/16" hex bolts that hold the intake to your cyl. Ive found a few saws where they were loose. That will spell trouble in the form of an air leak, that could cause lean seizure. Put a new plug and air filter in and run it.
Those rings look ok to me unless im missing something. Id leave them

3400 countervibe first impressions...

Nice sore. Yes the 3400 is a fine saw. Why are you putting new rings in? Do you have low compression? I dont pull a jug unless i have to, low compression, scored p/c, or a big carbon buildup on the exhaust port. Parts are readily available. If your doing the carb kit, replace your fuel line, vent and filters and gaskets. Also, check the (2) 5/16" hex bolts that hold the intake to your cyl. Ive found a few saws where they were loose. That will spell trouble in the form of an air leak, that could cause lean seizure. Put a new plug and air filter in and run it.
Those rings look ok to me unless im missing something. Id leave them
Thanks joe25da Compression is on the low side, still no tester but it pulls over ridiculously easy. sorta jumping the gun maybe. Let sleeping dogs lie (lay?) She does pull/cut pretty good as she is. Will pay attention to the mounting bolts during the carb kit work so no leaks happen. Spend the money on a quality chain instead. New air filter and plug installed. Will do the lines and filter as well as recommended here.

Paul

Any thoughts on anti kickback chain like Carlton EP-GL Semi-chisel for this type of saw? http://www.sawchain.com/products/productdescChain.asp?SeriesID=1 Sort of like my limbs where they are
Just wish it had a chain brake on it.

paulyb21,
That piston/rings don't look to bad. The 3400 saws were not High compression saws like most newer ones. 130-135lbs. is about average for these. I have never went the gasket-less route, but allot of guys do.
You can still find gaskets for them. Or, you can make one if your handy.
Cardboard from a beer/pepsi carton make a good gasket.

That semi chiesel chain should work fine. I only use full chiesel any more, but thats just me..:) You will probably have a hard time finding a chain brake set up for that saw. I never had a saw with one, till I bought a new Husky 385. Poulan actually recemended against them. But its the law now days. I personally like saws without them. But, thats just me too.:)

Carb kit, new fuel lines, and fuel filter is the best route to take on any of these older saws. Never know how well they taken care of. Just the fact that they are 20-30 year old saws is reason enough. You will find they are quite easy to work on. And yes, you will buy another.:) If just for spare parts, or to get another great cheap saw.!!!

Gregg,

paulyb21,
That piston/rings don't look to bad. The 3400 saws were not High compression saws like most newer ones. 130-135lbs. is about average for these. I have never went the gasket-less route, but allot of guys do.

That semi chiesel chain should work fine. I only use full chiesel any more, but thats just me..:) You will probably have a hard time finding a chain brake set up for that saw. I never had a saw with one, till I bought a new Husky 385. Poulan actually recemended against them. But its the law now days. I personally like saws without them. But, thats just me too.:)

Carb kit, new fuel lines, and fuel filter is the best route to take on any of these older saws. Never know how well they taken care of. Just the fact that they are 20-30 year old saws is reason enough. You will find they are quite easy to work on. And yes, you will buy another.:) If just for spare parts, or to get another great cheap saw.!!!

Gregg,

I wouldn't let how easy it pulls determine if rings are worn. First Gregg is correct that 130 is is fine for compression. I have one that runns great at 120. Secondly, two of my 3400's have similar compression abot 125-130 yet one pulls very easy and the other more typical. So I'm not a big fan of the drop test for compression. Everyone else has good tips. I personnally go gasketless.
Bob

I like it. I like it Alot!!! Ya it does have a nice tone to it

Sprayed out the carb and lowered rackers a touch more and she was boring pretty good into some oak and elm...throwing some chips about. Big difference from the PP180. !!

Just wish it had a chain brake on it. (I see there was an option at one time for one) Not sure if I saw a pic of one on here before with one, dial up too slow to read the entire postings again

Have chain catcher on order at least, plus carb kit, Do these things have a shelf life it they are still sealed?? rings are available in 2 weeks so I'll wait until then to pull the head. but curious to see inside. Do I need a base gasket or do you guys just use sealant?
attachment.php

Thought I would treat her to a new chain, think this one has done its share.
smile.gif
attachment.php
Still good as a spare. What do you guys recommend?, thinking of a semi chisel, some dirty trees around here. read all about skip chain and all that and am more confused than before. What do you use (has 16" bar that's still good, so is the sprocket)?

Reading some of the recent posts and see the benefits of a useful donor. Guess I need another one now eh?
Paul

Paul, the cutter on your chain is only half used. If you'd use a file to clean out the gullet, sharpen the cutters, and set the rakers to about .030" you'd be very happy with that chain. Did you sharpen that chain ?

Those of you with the 54 71A saws and other older models

Those that have these older saws such as the 54 71 and so on that take that oblong air filter i have a single air filter on ebay currently only 3 days left if you have not seen it yet here is the # to the ad

currently someone is winning it at $ 0.99 cents i know there are tons of these saws out there but very few air filters if that even ray parrish in kentucky does not have these filters he was shocked to hear i had a couple

Been slacking off in my wood cutting activities lately because of the heat, humidity, skeeters..etc. Rounded up some energy thismorning and went to the woods with plenty of water & bug spray..lol
Wanted to give the old blue 4000 some excersize also. I put a 24" .58ga. bar & chain from my 385xp on it, and went after a fairly large swamp white oak it.

It handles it like it was made for it, no problem with power either.:clap:
I didn't take any videos, but did manage to snap a few pics. I kow everyone likes pics..:) I took the Super 380 along as backup. I had a 24" power match bar on this 4000 before, but put that on my 245A. I don't know why it never dawned on me that I should give the Husky bar a try on the Poulan.:dizzy:
Saves a bunch of $$$ this way.

100_0469.jpg

100_0470.jpg

100_0480.jpg

100_0477.jpg

Gregg,

Picked up a couple of new Poulan saws today. Here is a Micro XXV prior to cleaning.

Poulan3400SuperXXV002.jpg

The second was a 3400 (also before cleaning).

Poulan3400SuperXXV001.jpg

I have not tried to start them, but did spend a few minutes cleaning them up this afternoon before the rain started. The Micro XXV sports a 10" bar and the 3400 has a 16" bar. Here is how they look now.

Poulan3400SuperXXV005.jpg

I need a bar tensioner screw for the 3400 if anyone has a spare.

Been slacking off in my wood cutting activities lately because of the heat, humidity, skeeters..etc. Rounded up some energy thismorning and went to the woods with plenty of water & bug spray..lol
Wanted to give the old blue 4000 some excersize also. I put a 24" .58ga. bar & chain from my 385xp on it, and went after a fairly large swamp white oak it.

It handles it like it was made for it, no problem with power either.:clap:
I didn't take any videos, but did manage to snap a few pics. I kow everyone likes pics..:) I took the Super 380 along as backup. I had a 24" power match bar on this 4000 before, but put that on my 245A. I don't know why it never dawned on me that I should give the Husky bar a try on the Poulan.:dizzy:
Saves a bunch of $$$ this way.

100_0469.jpg

100_0470.jpg

100_0480.jpg

100_0477.jpg

Gregg,

Man I'm envious. What the hell am I doing in Texas. Gotta move to Vermont.

Suggestions Welcome

Put my Dayton (Poulan 245a) back together after a carb rebuild, new fuel line and filter. Saw starts easy and idles but will not accelerate smoothly. If I very gently squeeze the throttle it will rev up somewhat. I changed filter thinking that might be the cause. no dice. I've adjusted the Lo speed screw numerous times to no avail. I'm beginning to think it might be on the metering side of carb but not sure. Because removing the carb takes patience I thought I'd look to you guys for any suggestions so I don't have to do it three times. I haven't pressure and vacuum tested saw but don't think that is the issue. Besides blocking off the carb would take some patience in a small working area.
Bob

3400 stuff, replies

Paul, the cutter on your chain is only half used. If you'd use a file to clean out the gullet, sharpen the cutters, and set the rakers to about .030" you'd be very happy with that chain. Did you sharpen that chain ?
Scott, no that is how the chain came. I read the chain sticky re gullets and tooth length. Yes I think I can clean it up some and it does have more life left in it. I think it was machine sharpened, does not look like it has much hook to it (rackers were way too high for this to cut properly, I lowered them; they are around .030 now cuts much better, now will clean up the gullet and sharpen with new file). I will use this as my spare. Need file for the 3/8 (only have files for my pp180 lo profile 3/8)

I wouldn't let how easy it pulls determine if rings are worn. First Gregg is correct that 130 is is fine for compression. I have one that runns great at 120. Secondly, two of my 3400's have similar compression abot 125-130 yet one pulls very easy and the other more typical. So I'm not a big fan of the drop test for compression. Everyone else has good tips. I personnally go gasketless.
Bob

paulyb21,

Gregg,
Thanks for the input guys re rings,compression and gaskets. Is there any performance difference to squabble about whether to use one or not; or just to get a good seal thats important.?

The reason that I thought some rings may freshen it up was that my little 2.3 PP180 has a much more apparent compression when pull starting. Granted I bought it new years ago and never abused it. Sort of lost sight that it is a different engine...

Already looking at some beaten up old poulans...it is sort of addictive.
Paul

Latest posts

Back