Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5200 project

Was workin on the old beast today, fixxin up some odds & ends, and noticed something today, that I didn't catch before. The bar cover & the edge of the crank case have been ground away. Looks like this unit had a bow on it for much of its life. It came from Georgia, so that makes sense. Guess there isn't't much that can be done with that. Just live with the gap.

I was looking at OrderTree to see just what was available yet for these saws.
I found it odd, they still show one bar available, a 27" SNR $127.25. (Yikes)
A full wrap handle bar, $126.65, Bar clamp(cover) $45.60. Thats $300 right there, I don't think I'll be ordering those items.:dizzy:

100_0501.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

A dirty or wrong air filter might cause that. I once had one that someone had put a piece of foam in there for an air filter..problem was it wasn't the right kind of foam and wouldn't let the engine breathe.

That is a good point to consider.

Be careful when routing fuel lines. Mine was too close to the flywheel and it wore it in two. It was routed like Mark's is but somehow the edge of the flywheel rubbed against it. I think I ended up running mine back further behind the coil also.

How I routed it is how it has to be to keep from getting into the flywheel. If yours got into it, you done something wrong like leaving too much slack in it behind it.

mark-nice job on the aldens. i like to leave 'em in their natural finish too ,clean but wearing their use.
so that's what that hole is for ! gonna have to re route my fuel line, got it going behind the coil. the old line was rotted and in pieces.
i've got another sears 2.3 to do. where do you get your parts?

What parts you need? Alot of them are still in the system from Poulan.

Fired the 81 off today, wasnt pumping gas on its own though.
Then worked on the S-33, cleaned it while dad did the carb
Then cleaned the 5$ 245A and got it to pop, but needs a carb kit- thankfully the saw had not been stored with gas in it!:clap:
The newly aquired 3400 awaits parts

Seems the Poulan collection is starting a uprise

The kit for the 245 should be the Tilly HS right?

That is a good point to consider.

How I routed it is how it has to be to keep from getting into the flywheel. If yours got into it, you done something wrong like leaving too much slack in it behind it.

Mark, that was the way I got the saw. I assumed nobody ever put a fuel line on it but me. Like you said, it had to have slack back by the edge of the flywheel because that's where it wore a hole in it. It's funny that it ran like that for years before it wore it out though. The rest of the fuel line was brittle it was so old.

I have another saw just like the 2.1 other than the color is different. It's gonna need a carb kit and fuel line also. I'll pay particular attention to the routing of the fuel line and see if I can get it right the first time this time. I also found a XXV Counter Vibe for $5 last weekend that will probably require attention to the fuel system but I'm leaving it alone while it runs so good. Only thing I did was put a new chain on it.

I cleaned up piston somewhat, but Mike (RMS61Moparman) kindly offered to take a wack at the cylinder. Said he's had good success on some other P&Cs. Two heads are better than one so I took him up on his offer. Currently in process of repainting saw and thought re-ringing made sense.
Bob

Bob,

Your P/C was here when I got home from work today.
It cleaned up nicely!
There is still a deep gouge down at the bottom of the cylinder, but it is WAY farther down than the rings will ever be.
It doesn't have any roughness to it at all now :hmm3grin2orange: and you should be good to go.

It will ship out Thursday when my lovely wife goes into town.
Can't wait to see it up and running.

Mike

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
mark- i don't know what i need yet. a chain for sure, as it has the power sharp on it still. i'll check searsparts as it is one of their red metal ones with electronic ignition.
a.palmer jr.- i had to laugh when i saw where they put the fuel line. looks like they drilled a hole to route it outside & away from the flywheel.probably couldn't get through the right passages.
i put mine behind the coil, no vapor lock yet though it is still close to the flywheel.
i think when the lines dry out they shrink and that may have put your fuel line in contact with the FW.
a couple of pics.1st, the drilled hole, hope this wasn't stock ?. the 2nd one, mine behind the coil.waiting for ?

attachment.php
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148465&s in contact with the FW.
a couple of pics.1st, the drilled hole, hope this wasn't stock ?. the 2nd one, mine behind the coil.waiting for ?[/QUOTE]

Yeah that isnt a factory hole for the line. I have had 2 saws come to me like that. Actually worse, he ran it thru the flywheel cover! That line goes thru a hole in the carb box to the left of the handle.

Bob,

Your P/C was here when I got home from work today.
It cleaned up nicely!
There is still a deep gouge down at the bottom of the cylinder, but it is WAY farther down than the rings will ever be.
It doesn't have any roughness to it at all now :hmm3grin2orange: and you should be good to go.

It will ship out Thursday when my lovely wife goes into town.
Can't wait to see it up and running.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Have all parts painted except the main case. Thought I'd install P &C first, then mask and paint. Used TSC's Allis Chalmers Orange which seems to be a good match. Also a good match for Stihl. As soon as its reassembled I'll post some pics. Thanks again.

Have some old Poulans with metal handles that need new wrapping or foam. Thought about black water hose but wonder what you guys use.
Bob

Bob pm me your address i can send you some handle wrap which kind you need the foam type or the wrap type ? i have alot to do tommorrow so hopefully the rain has subsided and clear skys tommorrow hopefully

going to go job hunting also
also have to find that 245 part for steve hope i can find it so i can send it to him

Last edited:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
mark- i don't know what i need yet. a chain for sure, as it has the power sharp on it still. i'll check searsparts as it is one of their red metal ones with electronic ignition.
a.palmer jr.- i had to laugh when i saw where they put the fuel line. looks like they drilled a hole to route it outside & away from the flywheel.probably couldn't get through the right passages.
i put mine behind the coil, no vapor lock yet though it is still close to the flywheel.
i think when the lines dry out they shrink and that may have put your fuel line in contact with the FW.
a couple of pics.1st, the drilled hole, hope this wasn't stock ?. the 2nd one, mine behind the coil.waiting for ?

Joe and Turtle, I'm tempted to do it like the Homelites, run a steel line part of the way and tygon part of the way. The steel part would be the part that's closest to the flywheel. On my next 25 I'm still in the figgerin' stage. Could wallow it up through the handle like a 2000, but I don't think I want to go through that much hassle. I'll probably do it close to stock. The stock one lasted over 20 years. I probably won't be around to see the next one wear out if it's anywhere near that good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back