Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one and got it running, thinking about use for a stump cutter/beater saw, but I did not see a chain catcher and the clutch cover looks wide open on bottom, little concerned about using it. I have had it running with bar & chain, but it was on the ground, no place for chain to go if it jumped off.

I have one that I bought in 1979, the first real saw that I owned. Used it as my primary saw for cutting firewood until I bought a 3400 in 1983 (still have both). I have since added 2 more 361's to the stable, I really do not run them much due to their weight and lack of an AV system.

I have cut stumps with them and do not recall jumping chains to be an issue.

Last edited:
I started with a 4200

I still have one I bought new about 82 and a reworked 5400 from about
the same time. They are my go to saws for big wood.
I have seen several 3400's, just never owned one. The 5400 is heavy
with a 24" B&C, but it is a 85 cc. saw and will smoke smaller saws on big wood.

Calvin (Lawnmower Tech 37) came up with a starter pawl spring for the 361, seems
to have sources for the old saws.

Last edited:
Steve(RMS61MoparMan) did a great job on my P&C and I'm ready to install them. Questions: (1) I read somewhere that that piston should be installed so that the ring pins face towards the magneto/coil. There is an arrow on the interior of the piston crown that would point toward the bottom of saw using this procedure. Is this installation correct? (2) Should I lightly lube the connecting rod bearings where the wrist pin goes? (3) Original circlip flew off and I purchased a Stihl circlip to replace it. Finally found original but wonder if the Stihl will work. It fits ok but probably not as snug as the original. It is easier to install as it has curved areas at the tip enabling me to use a small needle nose. Don't want to mess things up. Maybe I should use the original. Thanks for your input and thanks, Steve.

Bob, that arrow inside the piston is the Poulan label! Not a arrow! Any directional arrows would be on top of the piston. Been a while since I done one but just make sure the pins dont point to the exhaust port! Of course on this saw 180deg from the exhaust port is the mag side.

Yes use the original circlip! Dont be putting any of that Stihl stuff in a good American made saw. :laugh:

I have one and got it running, thinking about use for a stump cutter/beater
saw, but I did not see a chain catcher and the clutch cover looks wide
open on bottom, little concerned about using it. I have had it running with
bar & chain, but it was on the ground, no place for chain to go if it jumped
off.

Nope no chain catcher on a 361. Come on now its a old saw! Don't use it if your afraid of it. It anint got no chainbrake either! ;)

what is a chainbrake on old Poulans

I never hesitated to use the 4200 or 5400 w/o one, always seemed the small
saws were more dangerous due to cutting conditions. I still use a safety
rated bar and chain on small brush whacker saws with chain brakes.

Bob,

Steve or Mark would probably be better suited than I for these answers but here goes anyway.
If I tell him something wrong guys, correct me!

1) Yes! The locating pins go toward the mag side.
2) Yes! A little lube is good.
3) I would use the original if it isn't damaged. I do love the "easy install" circlips but I think you will find they are a different wire diameter and won't fit the groove in the piston as well as the original.

Glad you received them back and I hope they work out well for you.
I'm pretty sure they will be fine.

Mike

Thanks MIke. Sorry for name confusion. Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've confused the two. Worst part is I'm looking at your return address right in front of me. Guess my wife is right that I never look very hard for anything even if its right in front of me!

c07e2959.jpg

anyone need any ? have 5 in stock

Mark need your help oil pump part # 530023343 which models it fit ?

3037da92.jpg

here are some other stuff that may interest people with bow bars
29f10a59.jpg

f572ed05.jpg

8460d391.jpg

14f66917.jpg

8bf02a60.jpg

Last edited:
Calvin, I can use 1 5200 decal. Also would be interested in the handle wraps for my Poulan 245A and similar Dayton.
Bob

ok mark is getting 3 decals and you 1 decal who wants the last one ?

i will post a image tommorrow of the wrap to see if that is the kind you are interested in

Last edited:
I added to my collection of Purple Poulans today. They are both project saws, the newer one seems to have decent compression, and should run, the old one doesn't but they have a couple of decent bars and chains on them. A guy had the 2 of them on Craigs list along with a hard plastic case for $20.

I couldn't help myself....The one I got from Joecool85 was getting lonely. I spent more in gas to get them than I paid for the saws. I drove a little over 300 miles....I know...insane, but it was to hot here to do anything else today anyway.

I have a couple of questions for you Poulan guru's. These saws are 2 different models. The side decal on the clutch cover and the recoil on new one says it is a 4018, yet the epa sticker says it is a 42cc engine just like the 2 older ones. I find that a little confusing but I am thinking that they aren't going to screw with the EPA, so it probably is indeed a 42cc saw.

I also notice that the muffler is a little different on the new saw.

Is there any advantages to the 4018 over the 2375 or are the differences just in the plastic. I know that some of you have worked on these things for Wild thing races, which one is the better starting point based on the results of the past?

I haven't had a chance to mess with them, the old one is a 1998 the other one is a 2000 and the new 4018 is a 2007.

I think I am becoming a sick puppy, almost time for a Poulanectemy.

attachment.php

4018 bar and chain

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

This is just me, and my limited experience with them. I think you will find the newer one, 4018, to be a strato type saw, with the secondary air inlet on the manifold. The older 2375 is probably the traditional setup. And, the one I much prefer. But probably won't notice much difference.

I don't know the reasoning for the different model numbers, I think they just changed the model numbers after a few years, like on other saws they made over the years, and after minor changes, like the 5200, 5400, 8500 for example. They are all 85cc saws. The 2375 & 4018 are both 42cc saws.

The older ones, some will have a chain brake, but some not. I prefer them without myself. I think all the newer ones have one. My sisters boyfriend has Wild Things, thats all he uses. :dizzy: Buys them cheap and runs them till they are plumb wore out. He has cut tons of wood with them over the years.
Thats how I got the 2375 I have. He got several of them for nothing practicaly, both had bad P/C's. I put a new P/C in the one he wanted, and I kept the older 2375, bad P/C and all..LOL Thats the one I use for the Wild Thing races..:) Makes me wonder how it would run with a New P/C.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Stuck no more

I see our beloved Poulan thread has been removed from "Sticky" status.:mad:
I guess to many saw snobs were gettin Pizzed at having to see a Poulan Thread up at the top all the time. So guess its back to digging through the wich Stihl or Husky to buy threads, to find the good stuff.;)

But, something tells me by the number of posts and replies that this thread gets, we won't have to dig down to deep to find it..:)

Gregg,

I see our beloved Poulan thread has been removed from "Sticky" status.:mad:
I guess to many saw snobs were gettin Pizzed at having to see a Poulan Thread up at the top all the time. So guess its back to digging through the wich Stihl or Husky to buy threads, to find the good stuff.;)

But, something tells me by the number of posts and replies that this thread gets, we won't have to dig down to deep to find it..:)

Gregg,

Noticed that this AM also. How does one get a Sticky removed?
Bob

tell you the easiest thing is have darin move it to my forum i will make it a sticky

ohio gregg gets the last of the fancy decals now i need to find out what they listed for when they were available

anyone needing any 245 muffler parts ?

That oil pump fits a Poulan 71A, and you have to have that oil pump for that saw. That oil pump has a an extra check valve in it so the auto oilier will pull oil trough the pump when you are not using the manual pump.

That oil pump fits a Poulan 71A, and you have to have that oil pump for that saw. That oil pump has a an extra check valve in it so the auto oilier will pull oil trough the pump when you are not using the manual pump.

Sent you a p m on the price of that oil pump i have two of them but one is defaulty and the other has pressure when you press the button so i know that one is working pump but the other does not have no pressure at all so im going to see if i can rebuild the one

22162 is $ 25.00 i have plenty of them they been obsolete for quite some time

To Everyone ::

the 23722 Decals for the 5200 which once people pay for them will be sold i could not find a price on these since they been obsolete since 1999 $ 3.99 each i think is a fair price

if you think its worth more then im leaving it to you all

Thanks Calvin

Those that just getting the decals $ 2.50 shipping covers the cost of shipping label shipping fee and bubble wrap envelope

Last edited:
Back