Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen, I am proud to join you. A few minutes ago, a 90 pound Letter Carrier dropped off a 55 pound box of chainsaws, two of them were Green, one Yellow.

offbrands001.jpg

No time to take more than one pic and see if they were mostly intact, One pulls over nicely, the other doesn't, could be seized or recoil malfunction.
These are my only "modern" chainsaws, this should be fun, been interested in the 3400 ever since I ran Farley's. I will be expanding my knowledge here, thinking of making a good, zippy little saw between the pair of them.

Thank you drilldaddy

Welcome to the club! :clap:

Send me your email address and I'll send you some stuff for them.

Pretty easy saws to work on. In fact there about as easy as they get.

Just check and see if the P/C are any good and go from there.

My guess is it will pickup 25%. Power that is. LOL

You filed the aduster hole up in the bar so it will oil right?

Yup, then drug an old deburring tool threw the rail. Worked just like it was made for it.

Thanks Mike.
I know nothing, you could tell me I needed Urainium piston covers and I might believe you.
I'm looking forward to this.

Welcome to the home of the green! Naa, Urainium piston covers are hard to find these days. I'd stick with the Titainium ones.:D
I'll bet you end up with 2 good runners. Like Joe said, that one has a 3700 style air cleaner cover on it. Thats no sure thing it is though. Be intersting to see what your opinion of them are as you get into them.:clap:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Welcome to the home of the green! Naa, Urainium piston covers are hard to find these days. I'd stick with the Titainium ones.:D
I'll bet you end up with 2 good runners. Like Joe said, that one has a 3700 style air cleaner cover on it. Thats no sure thing it is though. Be intersting to see what your opinion of them are as you get into them.:clap:

Gregg,

You must have some good eyes on ya, I can't see if that black cover is slotted in back or not. If not someone might have just put a black Craftsman cover on it.

Both are labled 3400 on the recoil housing, that black top looks pretty cool and it does have slots in the back. I'll get better pics, didn't have time and I'm one day into a work cycle, I work nights, it was very bright out there, the Sun is rarely that direct here, 60 watts is what we are used to.

The 3400 is a nice saw but it is a bit heavy for what it is.

Stephen, what are you babbling on about? You are right when looking at it from the standpoint of today. But if you compare it to the compitition from the early 80's your pretty much dead wrong. I mean cripes sake, it weighs 2 pounds less then a Mac 605!

Besides any time there is several sizesd saws made in a series on the same chasis, then the smallest displacement one would be the heaviest for the power!

Look at a Stihl MS 290, 310, 390 or a Husky 257 compared to a 262XP!!!

Now let it go. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Got a couple questions for ya Mark. :)
Do you drill out some of those many holes in the center diffuser in the 5200 mufflers? or just leave them as they are?

And, I took the vent out, and cleaned a bunch of black goo out of that. I'm assuming that goo, was once a ck valve/duck bill valve? Hard to tell from the IPL just what it looks like. Seems to run fine without it.

Went to the Husky dealer down the road today to get a chain made, but were closed for vacation..:dizzy: So took a trip to the Stihl dealer, had him make me a 92dr. link .58 gauge RSC chain for my 28" Husky bar. Will use that on the 5200, instead of buying a new bar.

Hope to get a video of it running here one of these days.:)

Gregg,

Both are labled 3400 on the recoil housing, that black top looks pretty cool and it does have slots in the back. I'll get better pics, didn't have time and I'm one day into a work cycle, I work nights, it was very bright out there, the Sun is rarely that direct here, 60 watts is what we are used to.
Randy, when you get a chance, pop that muffler off. Then you will know for sure chrome piston-3400, chrome bore-3700. Either way its a good score. There are a ton of these saws around. Id agree with Mark, that someone put a 3700 cover on it. But, it could also have a 3400 recoil. I bought a "3400" parts saw on ebay a year ago. That saw turned out to be a 4000. Had a 3700 muffler and cover. No id on the recoil. BUT it had the thin ring 4000 piston and the 4000 style starter pawls and recoil. Ya never know.

I did manage to pull the mufflers, both have bright shiney pistons, next to nothing for wear marks. I primed the green topped one, it started and ran on the third pull, sounds sharp. The other will need more attention before I can see if it's stuck or needs recoil work.

Latest posts

Back