Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am three for three, both 3400s start on prime and the 10-10 runs well. The 3400 with the locked up starter, well I had a WTF moment, the entire recoil side was packed full of red clay mud dobber nests. I field stripped the recoil, cleaned, replaced rope and handle. tomorrow I will see if they can pull fuel from the tank. what little things can be done to get to all the zip they have?

I open up the muffler and if I'm pulling the cylinder I go w/o a gasket and use a good sealant. I've attempted to widen the exhaust port but not sure I've seen a differance.
Bob

Good running 5200 Gregg. Love mine, though I don't get to use it much at all. I'm tempted to get a 4200 but doesn't seem practical when I have three 4000's.
Bob

Bob,

The difference in power between the 4000 and the 4200 belies the small difference in cc's.
It reminds me of the difference between a Chevy smallblock 400 and a 396. If you already have a 5200 you really don't NEED a 4200.
Anything a 4200 can do a 5200 can do better.
WANTING a 4200 however, is another thing altogether.:cheers:

Mike

The Poulan 4200 is better than the Poulan 4000 in almost every way. More power, better oilier, better air filtration, clutch, bottom end, and anti-vibe. The 4000 may have a tad bit less weight to it.

You all i have 3 of the 22162 brackets poulan green colored brand new will sell them as a complete bundle for $ 30.00 or $ 10.99 each i also found a 1207 bracket poulan green color will sell that one for $ 9.00 1 silver 1208 bracket same price $ 9.00

I have screws part # 530015176 NLA not sure what they fit but have 22 in quantity at $ .70 cents each have 10 530023592 muffler screens $ 1.90 each

have 2 OEM Spur sprockets part 530010007 3/8" 7 tooth those will be buy one for $ 14.99 or both for $ 26.95 these spur sprockets fit the
5400 4400 4900 4200 5200

the 23343 oil pump is $ 25.00 for whoever wants it and whoever gets that will get the last 71A air filter i have with the order..

thanks
calvin

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid48.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ff201%2FGregg500%2FSeansGTG015.mp4">

:cheers:
Gregg,

Great job Gregg! That 5200 looks to be pulling pretty good in that hard oak IMO. How do you think it compares to your 385 in terms of power and speed?
(just curious)

I was looking at the 3400s muffler, took me a minute to figure out how it worked. after seeing all that sheet metal, I began to think about bolting on a Mac stack. Please point me to the details for opening up the mufflers, I hope I have don't weld anything. Since I have two, I'll keep one stock, play with the other one, sounds simple enough.

I was looking at the 3400s muffler, took me a minute to figure out how it worked. after seeing all that sheet metal, I began to think about bolting on a Mac stack. Please point me to the details for opening up the mufflers, I hope I have don't weld anything. Since I have two, I'll keep one stock, play with the other one, sounds simple enough.

I just drill a 5/8 hole in the passenger side myself along with drilling out the cage holes inside also. Seems to work pretty good. You could get fancy with a welder but don't think there is anymore gain from it.

Bob,

The difference in power between the 4000 and the 4200 belies the small difference in cc's.
It reminds me of the difference between a Chevy smallblock 400 and a 396. If you already have a 5200 you really don't NEED a 4200.
Anything a 4200 can do a 5200 can do better.
WANTING a 4200 however, is another thing altogether.:cheers:

Mike

Your right Mike, but CAD is a bitter pill.
Bob

Dayton(Poulan 245A)

Well repainted and assemled saw. Was going to run saw but noticed a fuel leak in tank cover. Guess I missed a spot using a sealant. Will have to remove and start over. Also I don't think the chain sits properly in the roller tip. Still unable to open pictures in the post. Don't know why unless my Nikon transfer software is the cause. Sorry.

Well repainted and assemled saw. Was going to run saw but noticed a fuel leak in tank cover. Guess I missed a spot using a sealant. Will have to remove and start over. Also I don't think the chain sits properly in the roller tip. Still unable to open pictures in the post. Don't know why unless my Nikon transfer software is the cause. Sorry.

Bob,

Is that the original bar???
Some of those saws ran a .325 and a 9 pin rim if I'm not mistaken.

Mike

Nice color match on that saw Bob! Looks good:clap:
And, your right. Something sure don't look right with that chain on the sprocket.:confused:

Gregg,

Great job Gregg! That 5200 looks to be pulling pretty good in that hard oak IMO. How do you think it compares to your 385 in terms of power and speed?
(just curious)

I was affraid you would ask a question like that John. LOL, Hard to compare them, I havn't run this 5200 very much yet. I guess the right way to do it would be to run them back to back.
I did a muffler mod on my 385 while back, and figured out how to get more adjustment out of the carb on there too. I put a new 30" bar on it also. It was running pretty well, last I used it.:) It turns allot more rpm than the 5200, thats sure..lol

Some weekend you'll have to come out and bring some saws with ya. Maybe we can twist MoparMike & ModifiedMark's arms, to do the same.:clap:
Before the weather turns to crap, and everyone gets busy deer hunting.

Gregg,

Got a couple questions for ya Mark. :)
Do you drill out some of those many holes in the center diffuser in the 5200 mufflers? or just leave them as they are?

And, I took the vent out, and cleaned a bunch of black goo out of that. I'm assuming that goo, was once a ck valve/duck bill valve? Hard to tell from the IPL just what it looks like. Seems to run fine without it.

Went to the Husky dealer down the road today to get a chain made, but were closed for vacation..:dizzy: So took a trip to the Stihl dealer, had him make me a 92dr. link .58 gauge RSC chain for my 28" Husky bar. Will use that on the 5200, instead of buying a new bar.

Hope to get a video of it running here one of these days.:)

Gregg,

Yes Greg, there is supposed to be a regulan Poulan duckbill valve on that vent . As for the mufflers, mine are bone stock. (so far)

Those saws sound so good stock I was afraid to mess that sound up.

Money ahead? I'm paying shipping only, works out to $20 each for the 3400s and a pretty good 10-10. Such deals are rarely so good. drill.daddy rocks!!!

Yes, I have delt with Wes, and he's a good guy for sure.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid48.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ff201%2FGregg500%2FSeansGTG015.mp4">

Gregg,

Yeah Baby! you got er going good!

The Poulan 4200 is better than the Poulan 4000 in almost every way. More power, better oilier, better air filtration, clutch, bottom end, and anti-vibe. The 4000 may have a tad bit less weight to it.

Well the 4000 is probably about 2lbs less then the 4200 so yea its a tad and a little more. :) I'm not so sure about the better air filter setup either though, the 4000's is leaps and bounds better then the 3400 setup and probably about as good as the 4200's. If its not, then its at least a lot eaiser to service.

Apples to Oranges though.

Bob,

Is that the original bar???
Some of those saws ran a .325 and a 9 pin rim if I'm not mistaken.

Mike

Mike the 306SA is the only one I have known to have that setup. Wildman just sent me a nice roller nosed bar that I plan on putting on this 306SA that I'll be tackling soon and its getting the original .325x9 setup on it. That is if I can find a .325 barracuda chain for it.

I had to look to see if his was a Power Sharp model though as the Dayton versions of the 245SA had a 404 setup on them.

I was affraid you would ask a question like that John. LOL, Hard to compare them, I havn't run this 5200 very much yet. I guess the right way to do it would be to run them back to back.
I did a muffler mod on my 385 while back, and figured out how to get more adjustment out of the carb on there too. I put a new 30" bar on it also. It was running pretty well, last I used it.:) It turns allot more rpm than the 5200, thats sure..lol

Some weekend you'll have to come out and bring some saws with ya. Maybe we can twist MoparMike & ModifiedMark's arms, to do the same.:clap:
Before the weather turns to crap, and everyone gets busy deer hunting.

Gregg,

Gregg, I ran your 385 and I think it will outrun a 5200 up to 24-28" stuff, but over that I think they would run about the same, at least they would be closer.

On the mini GTG just let me know, I'll be there if I can! Might be putting up a barn though....

Gregg, I ran your 385 and I think it will outrun a 5200 up to 24-28" stuff, but over that I think they would run about the same, at least they would be closer.

On the mini GTG just let me know, I'll be there if I can! Might be putting up a barn though....

Thats right! I remembeer you saying you was wanting to put up a new building. (to house your rapidly expanding collection) LOL
Thats definitely a want to get done job, before the snow flies.

I think your probably right on the 385/5200 comparison.

Gregg,

Thats right! I remembeer you saying you was wanting to put up a new building. (to house your rapidly expanding collection) LOL
Thats definitely a want to get done job, before the snow flies.

I think your probably right on the 385/5200 comparison.

Gregg,

Gregg question are you into graphic banner designs ?

can you do that type of work ?
Looking for someone who is good at design work for banner ads on the net

Mike the 306SA is the only one I have known to have that setup. Wildman just sent me a nice roller nosed bar that I plan on putting on this 306SA that I'll be tackling soon and its getting the original .325x9 setup on it. That is if I can find a .325 barracuda chain for it.

I had to look to see if his was a Power Sharp model though as the Dayton versions of the 245SA had a 404 setup on them.

Mark I have a loop of barracuda sawchain, it's stamped with 87 and has 59 DLs. I also have two other loops of that stuff, it's heavier, marked with 85.

Back