Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks to be in great shape. I don't think I would paint that either. If nothing else, it would make a nice wall decoration in the shop till you can hopfully find the rest of the saw, or one like it.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Dayton(poulan 245A) Has Me Stumped

Got saw going and it idles fine. However as soon as I touch the throttle it stalls. If I go real easy it will rev and sometimes not. Ocassionally it will rev up fine but you cannot squeeze the throttle very fast or it dies. Carb was cleaned and rebuilt, metering lever is set level with carb floor. Everything looks okay. I did not replace welch plugs and don't really know what affect they have. I've adjusted Lo and HI needles evr which way with no success. I didn't do a pressure and vacuum test only because the carb is a pain to remove and replace. At least the lower clutch side screw. Would bad seals possibly be the culprit? I've replaced fuel lines and filter so I'm at a loss.
Bob

Got saw going and it idles fine. However as soon as I touch the throttle it stalls. If I go real easy it will rev and sometimes not. Ocassionally it will rev up fine but you cannot squeeze the throttle very fast or it dies. Carb was cleaned and rebuilt, metering lever is set level with carb floor. Everything looks okay. I did not replace welch plugs and don't really know what affect they have. I've adjusted Lo and HI needles evr which way with no success. I didn't do a pressure and vacuum test only because the carb is a pain to remove and replace. At least the lower clutch side screw. Would bad seals possibly be the culprit? I've replaced fuel lines and filter so I'm at a loss.
Bob

I believe you are going to have to "lick your calf over again" with the carb rebuild.
Did you try to run the saw with the choke half closed?

I have the same trouble rebuilding carbs. they give me FITS!!!

Mike

Bob

Bob, I think your 5200 carb will bolt on it and you know its good so why not swap it on there just to try?

Crank seals rarely give much trouble on those saws.

Take a 5/16" craftsman ign wrench and grind the box end down on it and it will fit right on that lower carb bolt pretty easily.

I believe you are going to have to "lick your calf over again" with the carb rebuild.
Did you try to run the saw with the choke half closed?

I have the same trouble rebuilding carbs. they give me FITS!!!

Mike

LOL, "lick your calf over again" I have had to lick one as many as 3 times.:mad: I feel your pain. Bob, there was some disscussion in another thread about the governors on some of these saws. Some have them, some don't I take it. Those that blocked them off, had great results. But it doesn't sound like your problem is quite the same thing, but ya never know.
Just something else to try, when ya get tired lickin that calf.:p

Gregg,

Bob, I think your 5200 carb will bolt on it and you know its good so why not swap it on there just to try?

Take a 5/16" craftsman ign wrench and grind the box end down on it and it will fit right on that lower carb bolt pretty easily.

Mark your order went out today Bob your order went out today Steve your order went out today Allyn your order went out today i want to thank you all for helping me during this tough economic time

Let me know when you get the packages timing the post office

Last edited:
I tried the drill out on one of the 3400 mufflers, the rusty one of course. I opened up four holes to 3/8" on each side of that thing in the middle, and two holes near the bottom. It sounds like a chainsaw now. Other than replacing the tubes, getting a new B&C, new clutch drum/sprocket set, all basic maintainance items, I'll have a happy little chainsaw.

I tried the drill out on one of the 3400 mufflers, the rusty one of course. I opened up four holes to 3/8" on each side of that thing in the middle, and two holes near the bottom. It sounds like a chainsaw now. Other than replacing the tubes, getting a new B&C, new clutch drum/sprocket set, all basic maintainance items, I'll have a happy little chainsaw.

Now you need too come across a good 245A and a 5400-8500 and you'll be hooked for sure!

I know it did'nt take much for me to like the Mac's ALOT!

Some weekend you'll have to come out and bring some saws with ya. Maybe we can twist MoparMike & ModifiedMark's arms, to do the same.:clap:
Before the weather turns to crap, and everyone gets busy deer hunting.

Gregg,

All you have to do is tell me the date and I'm there Gregg!:biggrinbounce2:

Think I'll pull the carb off my 245A seeing as how its all broken down waiting to br painted. I know that one works. Thanks for the tip on the 5/16. So you grind down the box end and not the open end?
Bob

Think I'll pull the carb off my 245A seeing as how its all broken down waiting to br painted. I know that one works. Thanks for the tip on the 5/16. So you grind down the box end and not the open end?
Bob

Either or will work fine. I like the thin opened end myself. No disrespect to the POULAN KING MM.:bowdown:

Now that you mention it, a 655 and a 8500 would make a good three saw combo.

Don't want to pizz these poulan guys off seeins how's I'm one also but, I've owned 1 655, 1 or 2 8500's, 1 5400 and 4 or 5 5200's and the 655 would have the green one's for lunch.:deadhorse:

Either or will work fine. I like the thin opened end myself. No disrespect to the POULAN KING MM.:bowdown:

Well thats no disrespect as I have one that has both ends ground down! :cheers:

Right you are. Do you know the purpose for the welch plugs and the effect due to bad ones?

The welch plugs just block of the channels in the carb that were there from the machining process. The small holes underneath can become pluged with junk and you need to remove the welch plugs so you can clean the passage ways underneath.

I think I said that so it make sense.....

I've never had to change them myself either. Most guys don't.

Smart guys do!

But your right, alot of times they dont need pulled like if the carb isnt really dirty and just needs some diaphragms replaced.

If theres any doubt I pull the SOB's. Not hard at all and only takes a short while to do. Less time for sure then pulling the carb back off and removing them anyway.

Don't want to pizz these poulan guys off seeins how's I'm one also but, I've owned 1 655, 1 or 2 8500's, 1 5400 and 4 or 5 5200's and the 655 would have the green one's for lunch.:deadhorse:

Don't matter to me at all, I have ran a 655 and would agree. Maybe not as bad as you make it sound but the 655 should whip there butts.

I mean it is 15cc larger and with boost ports and such.

Apples and Oranges.

I also run a Poulan 6000 on the same day as the 655 and between the two of them my money is on the 6000.

Don't matter to me at all, I have ran a 655 and would agree. Maybe not as bad as you make it sound but the 655 should whip there butts.

I mean it is 15cc larger and with boost ports and such.

Apples and Oranges.

I also run a Poulan 6000 on the same day as the 655 and between the two of them my money is on the 6000.

It's 14cc to be exact. (I don't claim to be smart LOL)

I've owned the 6000 also at the same time as the 655 and the 655 topped it for me. Who know's it's like buying a new car the same model ones going to out run the other. All are some damn fine saws either way.:cheers:

It's 14cc to be exact. (I don't claim to be smart LOL)

I've owned the 6000 also at the same time as the 655 and the 655 topped it for me. Who know's it's like buying a new car the same model ones going to out run the other. All are some damn fine saws either way.:cheers:

1cc? I just round em off!! LOL Yeah I knew 99cc :givebeer: Point is still the same though.

You are right though, I would be happy with either.

Back