Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say if you have cleaned the fiber washers free of oil and made sure the dogs are turned in the correct direction and everything is installed in the correct order, that's about all you can do. If it still doesn't work then it may be the cups. NOS cups are not real plentiful on Ebay. Might try the "Swap Meet thread" to see if someone has some to share. Wish I could help more but then again you know what I thing of F&M recoils. :censored:

:cheers:
Steve

I hear the words you speak my Poulan Guru Supreme. I hate them with a passion, if I can't get it fixed I'm going to the old rope and stick trick like on LP's Mall 7.

I've cleaned all of it 2 or 3 times just to make sure and all seems fine with the dogs so I thought the cup was the culprit. I think i've been wrong once or ten times tho so I came to ya'll.
Thank you PGS Steve.
Joe

I hear the words you speak my Poulan Guru Supreme. I hate them with a passion, if I can't get it fixed I'm going to the old rope and stick trick like on LP's Mall 7.

I've cleaned all of it 2 or 3 times just to make sure and all seems fine with the dogs so I thought the cup was the culprit. I think i've been wrong once or ten times tho so I came to ya'll.
Thank you PGS Steve.
Joe

Can that cup be "Freshened up"?
We used to regroove the cups it the old wind up lawn mower starters.
Just a thought.
I will give it a try if you send it up here.

Mike

Can that cup be "Freshened up"?
We used to regroove the cups it the old wind up lawn mower starters.
Just a thought.
I will give it a try if you send it up here.

Mike

Thanks moparman I was going by the looks of the inside of the cup and they are pretty worn down. I may get some stock and try to make one to see how it works out. I know it will take a little work and time but I will see. I don't think there's enough left to regoove on the 71a. If I do it will be pretty thin and that could be trouble. I'll try and let you know how it works out.
Thanks aagain,
Joe

i got a big smile!

whoooo hooooo i took it apart and back together 3 times today replacing ingniton parts replaced the points and condenser set up plug wire the magneto doo hicky next to the fly wheel air gapped like ya all talk about in your posts with a bussiness card and not only spark but she ran and idled pretty good im done for today i did not want to run it long with my stihl 50to one ratio i have some poulan 40/ 1 syn oil some place or would it be better to use the stihl 50 to 1? i wanna run it but the fuel lines are really ruff so i should make them my next step!hahah im stoked! P.s whats the best thing to clean the saw with just compresser air??? thanks for the help ya all! oh and thanks for the manual 67 mustang that really helped!

Last edited:
albion Is a newbie

Hi, everyone. I've just joined the site and this is my first post. Poulan thread? I'm in! It's the only saw I've ever owned and I know I have much to learn...

I'm not a pro arborist or timber-worker - I have a hungry wood-burner that I rely on for my winter heat! I've owned a Poulan Super XXV for many years, which I just use for firewooding and pruning / pollarding a few managed trees. I didn't realise how well regarded this saw is until I started reading the threads here - I thought it was just a cheap little saw that I was fortunate enough to aquire for pennies as a non-runner. My 2-stroke motorcycle experience soon had it running again, and it's been fine ever sice - fires up even after long lay-offs with no trouble...

Well, until now, that is. The pull cord has decided that it won't retract properly, so after two or three starts I have to pull the side panel off and re-wind it. Then it's okay for 2 or 3 starts and...well, you get the picture!

The spring seems strong enough - I think just some added tension (winding up) is all that's needed, but I've not had the mechanism in bits before, so if anyone can tell me what to expect and, indeed, has a fix for the problem I'd be most grateful!

I would take it into my local hoticultural shop, but to be honest the service has become very unreliable - I might see it back next season...but equally I might not!

Thanks

I followed your question from the milling forum. This Poulan thread is a monster and you may get more hits if you started your own thread. Here is a pic of mine. My cord has pulled out and I have been too lazy to fix it. If it isn't retracting all the way...and you feel the spring is properly wound...maybe you have to remove the handle and loop the cord a couple more times? Dunno. By the way, now that you are a member of AS you should go out and buy three more chainsaws and put that Poulan on your mantle as a conversation piece. Welcome!
attachment.php

attachment.php

whoooo hooooo i took it apart and back together 3 times today replacing ingniton parts replaced the points and condenser set up plug wire the magneto doo hicky next to the fly wheel air gapped like ya all talk about in your posts with a bussiness card and not only spark but she ran and idled pretty good im done for today i did not want to run it long with my stihl 50to one ratio i have some poulan 40/ 1 syn oil some place or would it be better to use the stihl 50 to 1? i wanna run it but the fuel lines are really ruff so i should make them my next step!hahah im stoked! P.s whats the best thing to clean the saw with just compresser air??? thanks for the help ya all! oh and thanks for the manual 67 mustang that really helped!

Way to go, Stubnail! Glad you got her goin'. :cheers:

yep!!!

yep im pretty happy she really barks!!!! im thinking it needs a caarb rebuild also it got a littlle boggy... i adjusted the low and it idled well but tried to cut out while running at high rpms kept cutting out and boggin ? i may have my air gap wrong at least she fired up seems like the manual oiler aint workin right either to bad i cant scavange that off my old saw its auto and manual im fixen to go peek at that poulan manual!!! i have it saved im sure my ansewer will be there hehehe! im pretty happy i dont know squat about tearing these saws apart but its pretty cool to hear that thing fire up after all the back and forth etc!!!!id like to find one like my old one 25da automatic about the same saw its dark now so time for a brew or two LOL

From looking at his "Family Photo" It could have been a Mac, Husky, Homelite, Echo, Stihl, Dolmar or J-red.

I would mark the Macs off because they are too close to the 4000 in size.
The 540 Dolmar will always start and it is also just below the 4000, so mark it off.
Homelites are a fine saw but, except for the sound, who would run one of those when there is a 4000 there? Mark them off.
The 031 is basically a shelf queen so mark it off.
That guys and gals leaves us with the J-red, the Echo and the Huskies.

Now the Echo would probably fit in between the 25 and the 4000, but really anything the Echo can do the S25 can do, so mark the Echo off.

Looking at the tree, if I were going to cut that big rascal, I would want the 25, the 4000 and a BIG saw for bucking it up.

The 61 Husky is smaller than the 4000 so it is out.
That leaves the 2101 and the Jonsered 80.

Back in July Joe was talking about how good the 2101 was running and stated that there is no way he was going to tear into a saw that started and ran that good.....It shouldn't have taken a complete crap in less than 2 months, so my choice for the saw that wouldn't start is the J-red 80.
Not to mention that in Aug. he posted that the J-red gods had cursed that saw and he was having trouble with it.

Mike

WOW! Mike you are the man!
You logic is pretty much spot on too. I dont really use the echo cause the S25 is lighter and faster.
The 031 is a shelf queen too.
I only took the Mac and Homie cause I hadnt used them yet. Bad idea taking a saw out untested in real wood.
Ill tell you guys what it was. And actually it was more than one saw. The Poulans all were problem free (no surprise). The first day my Mac PM 4300 quit on me, but I didnt rebuild that saw, I got it as a runner so I blame myself. Thankfully my 4000 bailed me out even with a terrible chain. Day 2 I brought my SXL and (good call Mike) the Jred 80. The SXL refused to start I have to look at the carb. The 80 ran rough but a low speed adj. fixed it. And right again Mike, like the Poulans the 540 always starts. Since I didnt take my 4000 (chain was toast) I used 540.
Whats the lesson? When cutting always have at least 1 Poulan to save your a$$.

Last edited:
I was watching the 4.2 but just bought another 4200 and thought it fair to give someone else a shot at that one. Glad you got it.

I'm buried in projects right now myself. Trying to get a set of rings fitted for that K model. Might try to get a set for a 245A just to see how they fit and compare.

S

You working on a K100? Cool old saws.

Got any pics of your saw collection? I, for one would be interested in seeing the line-up.

I'll have to work on doing that one day, if I can get em all in one spot and find a wide angle lens. LOL

Ok Poulan Gurus I'm lost here. I have a 71a and a s33 and have gone thru both of them. The problem is the recoils. The dogs seem to be okay. I've changed the covers from one to the other and still no go. So I guess the cups are shot. Is there a source for new cups or do you have to go used either way I think I need two recoil cups. Any help would be great. This is the only thing holding these two from going on the running rack for our GTG.
Thanks in advance,
Joe

Joe, I'm far from a Fairbanks Morse expert, but most all of the trouble that I have seen with them are those darn friction washers.

If there worn they won't let the dogs out far enough to engage the cups.

Yep. It's looking good but right now it's in a bunch of pieces. Had lots of rust to clean off. Pulled the points out today and cleaned the contacts and reset them. I'd like to pull the coil asm. but have no idea how you reset the gap underneath the flywheel. Pulled the cover off the reduction drive today. Noticed you could only turn the sprocket part of a turn and it wouldn't freewheel like you'd think. That ain't gonna work when you go to sharpen the chain. Must have had water in the housing and it had frozen the chain with rust at the bottom so chain wouldn't turn. Pull all that out and freed the chain up but it is pitted in that area. May see if I can find a shop to make up that chain. About the same size as bicycle chain. I've got a set of rings being made up for it. They're 2 1/16" dia. underpinned rings. I'll see how that works out. I hope to get it back together soon but I've got lots of distractions coming up, so we'll see.

I'll have to work on doing that one day, if I can get em all in one spot and find a wide angle lens. LOL

Joe, I'm far from a Fairbanks Morse expert, but most all of the trouble that I have seen with them are those darn friction washers.

If there worn they won't let the dogs out far enough to engage the cups.

Thanks Mark I'll give um another going over. I may know where I can get some of those I'll see what's up in the morning.

Thank you PGS Steve.
Joe

joe did you get the starter assembly fixed ?

Latest posts

Back