Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I hear you, I get jealous as well sometimes looking at others saws.

The best part of these is they were both reasonable! Guess the other chainsaw snobs didn't want a lowly Craftsman saw. :cheers:

Just talked to a guy who has a 8500! But its not up for grabs. :mad:

He is going to have a 5200 and a 5400 up before long though.

I also just won that big lot of Poulan 306/245 parts on the bay! I'll have extras of some stuff that I will spread around if needed by someone else.

Yea, Mark. Great pickup. First Craftsman 4200 and 5200 I've seen. I find it amazing how the Craftsman rebadged Poulans bring a lot less than the lime green saws.. I sold a great 3700 Craftsman that I'm sure would have gone for more if it was lime green. I did pick up a Poulan 4200 on Ebay. Price was right but shipping was more than saw. Expect it in a week or so as its shipping from Canada. Curious to see how it runs. Comp is supposed to be 150 but I'll double check.
Bob

So it was you who won the parts! Once again outbid by a fellow member. Really didn't think I bid high enough but who knows. Keep one of those point sets for me. Congrats.
Bob

Well, I have so many of those style saws that this was a steal for those parts compared to searching, and paying for each part as needed.

Problem with these types of lots are the extra odd parts like the fuel line connectors that fit into the tank housing. I have NEVER EVER needed one of them and what the heck am I going to do with like 10 choke levers!

No problem on the set of points!

Yea, Mark. Great pickup. First Craftsman 4200 and 5200 I've seen. I find it amazing how the Craftsman rebadged Poulans bring a lot less than the lime green saws.. I sold a great 3700 Craftsman that I'm sure would have gone for more if it was lime green. I did pick up a Poulan 4200 on Ebay. Price was right but shipping was more than saw. Expect it in a week or so as its shipping from Canada. Curious to see how it runs. Comp is supposed to be 150 but I'll double check.
Bob

I seen that one, and I thought it looked like a good project. The 5200 I'm wainting for is coming near where that one is from.

Don't count on seeing that saw for at least 2-3 weeks though as that has been my experiance with getting them from Canada.

I sent a saw to a member in Canada and it took about 3 weeks to get to him as well.

Well, I have so many of those style saws that this was a steal for those parts compared to searching, and paying for each part as needed.

Problem with these types of lots are the extra odd parts like the fuel line connectors that fit into the tank housing. I have NEVER EVER needed one of them and what the heck am I going to do with like 10 choke levers!

No problem on the set of points!

Yea, there were alot of extra parts. Did I also see flat clutch springs? I'm sure you'll make good use of the parts.

I seen that one, and I thought it looked like a good project. The 5200 I'm wainting for is coming near where that one is from.

Don't count on seeing that saw for at least 2-3 weeks though as that has been my experiance with getting them from Canada.

I sent a saw to a member in Canada and it took about 3 weeks to get to him as well.

Good thought. I'm going to Ireland for a couple weeks so It'll likely be here when I get back.

hmmmm ok so

ok so i after reading an old post that said to check a duck bill valve in the gas cap or it squirts gas ummm mine did i can see light through the lil hole?????i saw only a lil metal piece in it? can this be fixed besides squirting gas can it make saw run bad? etc? oh and any one have a pic with enuff detail as allof a sudden this year i cant see as good for some reason hahaha!

Got the Craftsman 4.2/4200 and its up and running well! Just did a few simple updates like a new fuel line, vent valve etc.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is a picture of the 4.2 with its big brother, the 5.2
attachment.php

Damn, that saw looks familiar. I'm glad it went to someone that will treat it well and appreciate it. I was really intending on keeping it, but I got to start thinning the herd. I'm needing some space. That is the saw that you sent me the clutch shoe for

Well Chuck I hope your thinning goes better then mine. I get rid of 2 and get 3 more in the same week.

I also knew this was "that" saw and was glad to see it come up. I was also digging through some stuff the other day and found that I had 2 more of those new shoes and its now wearing all three along with a new clutch drum since I had em.

As you can see, the 5.2 is missing the hand guard, and if you ever run across one, keep it in mind for me. Seems there a odball and probably made just for Sears.

Well Chuck I hope your thinning goes better then mine. I get rid of 2 and get 3 more in the same week.

I also knew this was "that" saw and was glad to see it come up. I was also digging through some stuff the other day and found that I had 2 more of those new shoes and its now wearing all three along with a new clutch drum since I had em.

As you can see, the 5.2 is missing the hand guard, and if you ever run across one, keep it in mind for me. Seems there a odball and probably made just for Sears.

Congrats on the new pair, Mark! :clap: What's odd about the hand guard?

Bob

Way to go Bob! I'm glad you got that 4200. I put a bid in on that one also. Thats why I quit, the shipping was very steep. But, it did sound like it will be a good runner.:clap:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Congrats on the new pair, Mark! :clap: What's odd about the hand guard?

Well its white for one thing, it also has a odd bolt pattern on it as well as a notch on it where it bolts to the cover. I really think its a sears only part.

Thanks Gregg. Like I need another saw. However it'll be a fun project to get going and re-paint.

Bob

Well I have a feeling the 4200 and 5200 decals will be on the market in the near future so that will be good! If your repainting, look at the Mopar Sublime Green!

Well its white for one thing, it also has a odd bolt pattern on it as well as a notch on it where it bolts to the cover. I really think its a sears only part.

Well I have a feeling the 4200 and 5200 decals will be on the market in the near future so that will be good! If your repainting, look at the Mopar Sublime Green!

Yea, Gregg. I have a little custom blended lime green on hand for now but definitely will be ordering the 1970 Dodge Sublime Green in the future. My question is, I will have extra hardner and wonder if I can use it with the Sublime green paint. I know its available with hardner and reducer but wonder if another hardner will work and if so, can I use my current 2 parts paint to 1 part hardner ratio?

Yea, Gregg. I have a little custom blended lime green on hand for now but definitely will be ordering the 1970 Dodge Sublime Green in the future. My question is, I will have extra hardner and wonder if I can use it with the Sublime green paint. I know its available with hardner and reducer but wonder if another hardner will work and if so, can I use my current 2 parts paint to 1 part hardner ratio?

As long as there both the same type paint like acyrlic enamal single stage then I say no problem. I have some off brand hardner here that I have used with several differnt brands of paint. Reducer as well.

Have you been able to cut any with that Dayton yet Bob???

You are right on the ball with the Paint.
It HAS to be from a 1970.
The '71 was called LimeLight and was too light, and the '69 was too dark.

Mike

I have a couple of the Craftsman 3.7/18's. This is the only picture I could find of one which I had taken for Mark showing the power sharp system.

Craftsman37004.jpg

Craftsman37005.jpg

Back