Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so i after reading an old post that said to check a duck bill valve in the gas cap or it squirts gas ummm mine did i can see light through the lil hole?????i saw only a lil metal piece in it? can this be fixed besides squirting gas can it make saw run bad? etc? oh and any one have a pic with enuff detail as allof a sudden this year i cant see as good for some reason hahaha!

It sounds like your duckbill valve is missing. Yes it can be replaced, and should be. They don't cost much and aren't that hard to install. The star shaped ring holds them in, if I remember correctly.

Have you been able to cut any with that Dayton yet Bob???

You are right on the ball with the Paint.
It HAS to be from a 1970.
The '71 was called LimeLight and was too light, and the '69 was too dark.

Mike

Mike, got it running real well. Not into wood yet but probably have 1 tank through it. Starts easy and comp is up to 145 with new rings. One small issue is the saw loves to drip a lot of bar oil once its off. Oil all over the place. Other than that great saw. Plan to paint my Poulan 245A this morning.
Bob

It sounds like your duckbill valve is missing. Yes it can be replaced, and should be. They don't cost much and aren't that hard to install. The star shaped ring holds them in, if I remember correctly.

Noticed that its gone on both my 245A and Dayton. Will need to look around for some. They look to be much smaller than others I've seen however.

Tillotson HS59A carb

Any of you guys know what the big brass screw does on the Poulan 245a/ Dayton saws? I haven't touched it but I noticed it can be screwed in or out. I'm referring to the brass screw next to the choke lever. Can't find anything about it, its purpose and if it should be touched. I think I saw in a parts diaphragm that its the main jet nozzle or something like that. I'm not about to fool with it seeing as how the saw runs good. Just curious.
Bob

I have a couple of the Craftsman 3.7/18's. This is the only picture I could find of one which I had taken for Mark showing the power sharp system.

Craftsman37004.jpg

Craftsman37005.jpg

Eeeeeeee. Roper 3.7. Had 2 for about a week.
The "other" 3.7 is probably my favorite saw I own.

Any of you guys know what the big brass screw does on the Poulan 245a/ Dayton saws? I haven't touched it but I noticed it can be screwed in or out. I'm referring to the brass screw next to the choke lever. Can't find anything about it, its purpose and if it should be touched. I think I saw in a parts diaphragm that its the main jet nozzle or something like that. I'm not about to fool with it seeing as how the saw runs good. Just curious.
Bob

Believe that's a governor on the carb, Bob. They seem to either work or not. That could possibly have been the problem on that one carb you were experiencing on the Dayton originally. In the past, Mark has advocated cutting a piece of tin foil pie plate the size to fit underneath of it and blocking it off. He was still able to source some a few months ago but I don know if they're still available or not.

Last edited:
I've got one of those old Craftsman Ropers. It is a 3.1 though. The old buzzard just keeps on running.
I like to use it occasionally to remind myself how well I like my Poulans!!!

Mike

Believe that's a governor on the carb, Bob. They seem to either work or not. That could possibly have been the problem on that one carb you were experiencing on the Dayton originally. In the past, Mark has advocated cutting a piece of tin foil pie place the size to fit underneath of it and blocking it off. He was still able to source some a few months ago but I don know if they're still available or not.

You are correct! That is the governor and they will go bad once in a blue moon and make the saw so rich you can't tune the High side correctly.

It is also the reason why the high side needs to be tuned "in the wood" even if it is working properly.

Not sure if they can be gotten now or not.

I am finally able to restore my 8500. I picked the saw up about two years ago and was in need of a piston. Well, I stopped by a saw shop and bought the needed piston for $15.00. I am going to split the case and replace bearings and seals. I will also repaint the saw. I think it will be a good build.

4200 shop manual

I have had one since the 80's, I did download the 361 manual last year, but
more interested in the 4200 through 5400 series. I improved a 5400 back
in the 80's with junk parts and a new piston, still have both.

Last edited:
I am finally able to restore my 8500. I picked the saw up about two years ago and was in need of a piston. Well, I stopped by a saw shop and bought the needed piston for $15.00. I am going to split the case and replace bearings and seals. I will also repaint the saw. I think it will be a good build.

Anxiously awaiting the results of this build.:clap: I know many of us on here would dearly love one of those saws. I know 67Mustang's 7700 is a real smooth runner. I imagine the 8500 would be the same.
:cheers:
Gregg,

You only got one? What else does that saw shop have?

That will be a easy saw to work on, I'll be waiting to see the finished product!

In need of a 8500 piston if you run across another one.

S

Proof......I really use it! My buddy was givin me !#$% until we started cuttin.

attachment.php

Proof......I really use it! My buddy was givin me !#$% until we started cuttin.

attachment.php

That happens a lot when you hang out with people who don't know!!!

Many a saw snob has gotten an education from an "old green junk"!
Some get downright P!$$ed when their $600.00 saw gets outcut by a $150.00 (or less) POULAN!
I love handing my 4200 to guys at GTGs that don't know what they are, and watching their faces.:clap:

Mike

The project just keep piling up....

I just bought a Poulan Timbermaster 3600 3.7 C.I. "parts" saw. ($20..seemed like a fair price)
It seems to be in pretty good shape except that it needs a piston and rings.
Looking through the exhaust port it looks like a chrome cylinder and an aluminum piston in this thing.
Is that possible? Does anyone know if the pistons are still available for this saw?
It seems to built very much like a 330 or 3450 but with a larger displacement?:cheers:

There is very little carbon on the piston and exhaust port and almost none in the muffler.:confused:

It also has a cool looking air filter cover with a couple of ribs on it and the muffler has a port on it similar to my 375 farmpro.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Have any of you Poulan guys ever run one of these? If so how does it copmpare to the 3.7 Countervibe saws?

Yes indeed that is a chrome bore motor on that one, same as the Poulan Pro 365.

Piston and cyl will cost about $170 and the piston kit is like $50

As compareed to a 3700, there lighter and run about the same.

Back