Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got the top screw nut for one? I may have one thats missing the top nut.

I don't have one, never seen one. The top cover was missing when I got the saw. The top cover and a few av mounts is all it needs to be put back together. I might can make one if I knew what it looked like.

Last edited:
sprocket gone

attachment.php
attachment.php

this bar was on the 2.3 craftsman i got a few weeks ago. when i took the chain off i noticed there was no sprocket. then i saw the blue on the tip. it had been run awhile like that. a little groove had started.
can you get a sprocket kit for the tip on these bars ? i tried to knock the pin out but didn't want to damage it til i found out if it was repairable or not. its 18" overall. what do the numbers say it is ? i already have a new chain for this set up from baileys so i need to fix this or get another bar the same length. what current bars will fit if i can't fix this one ?

this bar was on the 2.3 craftsman i got a few weeks ago. when i took the chain off i noticed there was no sprocket. then i saw the blue on the tip. it had been run awhile like that. a little groove had started.
can you get a sprocket kit for the tip on these bars ? i tried to knock the pin out but didn't want to damage it til i found out if it was repairable or not. its 18" overall. what do the numbers say it is ? i already have a new chain for this set up from baileys so i need to fix this or get another bar the same length. what current bars will fit if i can't fix this one ?

That bar appears to be the low kickback bar with an asymmetrical tip which is NLA. Not aware of a sprocket kit for it. Not sure whether you have a 14" or 16" bar. Sounds from your description that it's 14". It's an Oregon A041 mount and the bars are readily available at Wally World and the big box stores usually with the green Poulan logo. Here's a closeout 14" at Bailey's. http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=APM+14+SJ50&catID=12189

They also have a 16" as well. Bars are too cheap to repair anyway even if there was a repair kit. Watch the gauge that you get and make sure it agrees with the chain you have as well as the number of drive links. They have them in .050 and .043.

Last edited:
bar math

thanks 67 mustang- i called bailey's and based on the .050 gauge/ 56DL chain i had from them, it was a 16" bar. i asked how they measure a bar and they
said from the tip to where the slot began, which in this case was 15" so it's a 16" bar. guess you round up, starting to sound like math.lol they also mentioned it fit echo so i'll go see the local dealer and see what he has.

"Chris, just lay out the 10 bucks for the proper tool to adjust that carb... splined carb screws..."

I followed Modifiedmark's advice ^ (given in another thread), although I had to try three shops before I found it. I don't mind buying specialized tools, even when I don't use them very often, but this thing looks like a disposable POS, and I'm really glad that it cost 'only' $10.81.

That said, it fits the splined screws nice & snug, and turns them without a problem. Once I start using it I'm sure that I'll be glad that I bought it.

One tech, the one who told which shop carries the tool, told me that Husqvarna sent him a notice stating that he could be fined $3,700.00 for selling the official Husky tool to anyone other than a certified Husqvarna Technician. Say what?

Added some vintage muscle today

I happened across an ad on the Norfolk Craigslist on Saturday night for a 5200 bow saw. My daughter's emergency appendectomy on Monday morning put my plans on hold to get it but the seller was very accommodating in holding it for me in the absence of payment. Saw will need the fuel system worked over as the gas had turned to varnish. Here are some pictures:

Poulan5200009.jpg

Poulan5200011.jpg

Poulan5200015.jpg

"Chris, just lay out the 10 bucks for the proper tool to adjust that carb... splined carb screws..."

I followed Modifiedmark's advice ^ (given in another thread), although I had to try three shops before I found it. I don't mind buying specialized tools, even when I don't use them very often, but this thing looks like a disposable POS, and I'm really glad that it cost 'only' $10.81.

That said, it fits the splined screws nice & snug, and turns them without a problem. Once I start using it I'm sure that I'll be glad that I bought it.

One tech, the one who told which shop carries the tool, told me that Husqvarna sent him a notice stating that he could be fined $3,700.00 for selling the official Husky tool to anyone other than a certified Husqvarna Technician. Say what?

Yep they look like a peice of junk but they work and work well.

Yes I had heard about the shops tighting up on selling them, just more BS.

I happened across an ad on the Norfolk Craigslist on Saturday night for a 5200 bow saw. My daughter's emergency appendectomy on Monday morning put my plans on hold to get it but the seller was very accommodating in holding it for me in the absence of payment. Saw will need the fuel system worked over as the gas had turned to varnish. Here are some pictures:

Poulan5200009.jpg

Poulan5200011.jpg

Poulan5200015.jpg

Dang, I can never find anything cool on Craigslist around here.

That right there should be the ulimate bow saw with that much power behind it. :laugh:

Best wishes to your daughter, hope she mends quickly and completely.

:heart:

I don't have one, never seen one. The top cover was missing when I got the saw. The top cover and a few av mounts is all it needs to be put back together. I might can make one if I knew what it looked like.

Look at the picture just posted of that 5200 bowsaw and you will see the nut in the center of the cover that holds that cover on.

Its a special nut that is kinda flanged on the bottom and is held in place with a retaining ring.

Dang, I can never find anything cool on Craigslist around here.

I just stumbled on this one and think it being a bow saw probably kept it from being snapped up. I called on a 306 bow saw on my way home but got no answer. The message said it was a tree service and I thought it was significantly overpriced at $150.

Hopefully my daughter comes home tomorrow.

Look at the picture just posted of that 5200 bowsaw and you will see the nut in the center of the cover that holds that cover on.

Its a special nut that is kinda flanged on the bottom and is held in place with a retaining ring.

I'm trying to get a good look at it. I've made a bunch of the choke and oiler buttons for LP's Big Mac saws. This looks like a piece of cake. Have all kinds of left over stock sometimes it nice to have a machine shop in the yard. NOW IF I JUST HAD A COVER TO PUT IT ON.(hint hint)

Might would swap a ford product for a good one and some av mounts.

I just stumbled on this one and think it being a bow saw probably kept it from being snapped up. I called on a 306 bow saw on my way home but got no answer. The message said it was a tree service and I thought it was significantly overpriced at $150.

Hopefully my daughter comes home tomorrow.

Good news on your daughter!

Well $150 for a 306A bow....

I wouldnt say that its way out of line if its nice and the bow setup is good.

That bow setup on those is quite involved and includes alot of special parts that are hard to find. If its above average conditon, I would give that for it.

But thats just me and I'm known to be a Poulan nut. (and my 245A bow could use some company.):ices_rofl:

I'm trying to get a good look at it. I've made a bunch of the choke and oiler buttons for LP's Big Mac saws. This looks like a piece of cake. Have all kinds of left over stock sometimes it nice to have a machine shop in the yard. NOW IF I JUST HAD A COVER TO PUT IT ON.(hint hint)

Might would swap a ford product for a good one and some av mounts.

Well, let me see what I can do! I'm working overtime all week, let me check it out this weekend.

I was able to snap a couple of pictures of the saw tonight between rain showers. I can pull the cover tomorrow and get some closeups.

Poulan5200010.jpg

Good news on your daughter!

Well $150 for a 306A bow....

I wouldnt say that its way out of line if its nice and the bow setup is good.

That bow setup on those is quite involved and includes alot of special parts that are hard to find. If its above average conditon, I would give that for it.

But thats just me and I'm known to be a Poulan nut. (and my 245A bow could use some company.):ices_rofl:

I am known as a CASO (Cheap A$$ Saw Owner) and thought the $150 tag was too high. I found one in GA for $50 but the owner would not ship. When I finally found someone to get it he decided not to sell. I have not paid over $50 for any of the last 4 bow saws I have bought and 3 of them were Poulans. If you want it, I can check it out.....

I am known as a CASO (Cheap A$$ Saw Owner) and thought the $150 tag was too high. I found one in GA for $50 but the owner would not ship. When I finally found someone to get it he decided not to sell. I have not paid over $50 for any of the last 4 bow saws I have bought and 3 of them were Poulans. If you want it, I can check it out.....

I here you but bows are rare around here and there were more common in your part of the country.

Like I said, its not really the bow itself, its the rest of the setup you need to mount a bow on a 306 or 245.

Yeah if your close you could check it, but like I said before it would have to be in above average conditon for that.

Average condition but with a still good P/C and a good bow I say maybe 50-75% of that.

Just my opinion mind you.

I here you but bows are rare around here and there were more common in your part of the country.

Like I said, its not really the bow itself, its the rest of the setup you need to mount a bow on a 306 or 245.

Yeah if your close you could check it, but like I said before it would have to be in above average conditon for that.

Average condition but with a still good P/C and a good bow I say maybe 50-75% of that.

Just my opinion mind you.

Here are some pictures:

306bow2.jpg

306bow1.jpg

306bow3.jpg

Hard to tell from those pictures, but it looks at least average if not a little better.

Looks like all the bow setup is there and thats the main thing.

Is it a project or running?

Here is the text of the ad:

POULAN 306A BOW CHAINSAW GOOD BAR AND CHAIN RUNS GOOD $ 150.00

I also just noticed what appears to be a green Poulan case on the shelf above the saw. Wonder if that goes with it?

Latest posts

Back