Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you sir have the better cover of the 2. It does'nt vibrate and sound like crap when running.:cheers:

You got that right John!!! :mad: I tried several things, to no avail. Still vibrates, but I love using that saw. Saw sounds great too. Sometimes I will put my left thumb on the cover, so I can hear the old girl beller without the vibration. :)

You guys been adding a lot of nice Poulans to your collections lately. Some fine looking saws. I havn't added any since the 5200. Been busy cuttin like mad this summer & fall. I think I better start gettin into a tree stand pretty soon, and let the saws rest awhile.:)

:cheers:
Gregg,

You got that right John!!! :mad: I tried several things, to no avail. Still vibrates, but I love using that saw. Saw sounds great too. Sometimes I will put my left thumb on the cover, so I can hear the old girl beller without the vibration. :)

You guys been adding a lot of nice Poulans to your collections lately. Some fine looking saws. I havn't added any since the 5200. Been busy cuttin like mad this summer & fall. I think I better start gettin into a tree stand pretty soon, and let the saws rest awhile.:)

:cheers:
Gregg,

The 5200 is a great saw and runner. I'm not putting it down at all. Just that poulan could've had a little better mounting design on the one cover.:cheers:

And you sir have the better cover of the 2. It does'nt vibrate and sound like crap when running.:cheers:

Thank you sir,
It's it the cleaner now tore all to crap it was real nasty. The cover was not with it when I got it. The jug does have two holes on top and the muffler has a brace on it that bolts there. This is the first 5200 I've run across so there may be things missing I don't know about. Steve's is the only other one I've ever seen. It's his fault that we started getting them. He came down one day and I ran some of his and it made a believer out of me on the Poulans. Now I have the 5 and still looking for more. That says a lot for an old Stihlhead to change colors.

Thank you sir,
It's it the cleaner now tore all to crap it was real nasty. The cover was not with it when I got it. The jug does have two holes on top and the muffler has a brace on it that bolts there. This is the first 5200 I've run across so there may be things missing I don't know about. Steve's is the only other one I've ever seen. It's his fault that we started getting them. He came down one day and I ran some of his and it made a believer out of me on the Poulans. Now I have the 5 and still looking for more. That says a lot for an old Stihlhead to change colors.

You don't have to change colors.
I still love my Stihls but I also know that others make some REALLY good saws too!
I loved my Poulans when it seemed like the whole world was trashing them. Looks like the pendulum is swinging the other way some now!

Mike

I still love my Stihls but I also know that others make some REALLY good saws too!
I loved my Poulans when it seemed like the whole world was trashing them. Looks like the pendulum is swinging the other way some now!

Mike
I would give a Poulan another chance!! I had nothing but bad luck with them in the past. I would like to find a counter vibe.

does yours have the 3 screw mount or the one center screw mount with the locating pins? If you have the one with the pins, you mught want to just clean out the holes in the cover real good, remove any oil, the then oil up the pins a little. Put a little clear silicone in the hole in the cover and let it set up a little, then mount it in place and let it cure. It will form a vibration isolating sheath around the pin. It should stay in place when you remove the cover for maintenance and eliminate any metal to metal contact.

I have none of these saws now but out of the ones that I've owned I prefer the 3 screws. The 8500 was the best if I remember correctly it has a seperate cover for the air cleaner and it was the best design out of the 3 that I've ran across.:cheers:

Mike

Never fear the old Stihl colors stihl run strong around here.
The only way I'll give um up is somebody makes one to equal them.

When he calls me home I'm taking my 084 with me. Ain't never been in a bind it did not get me out of.

I also run all kinds LP runs Huskey and I run Stihl. I ain't afraid to run anyof um.
Joe

Never fear the old Stihl colors stihl run strong around here.
The only way I'll give um up is somebody makes one to equal them.

When he calls me home I'm taking my 084 with me. Ain't never been in a bind it did not get me out of.

I also run all kinds LP runs Huskey and I run Stihl. I ain't afraid to run anyof um.
Joe

I think about taking saws with me when I go but then I think about when my boys are running them and thinking about a lecture I gave them in the past.

I have a 3400 and was wanting to upgrade it to a 3700 or a 4000 (rather a 4000). My question is will the 3700 and 4000 P/C bolt right on the saw and will the rod from the 3400 work with either. I think I know the answer but was wanting to hear it from the expert LOL (MARK):D

Xxv

Can anyone please confirm that Poulan 100 chain off a XXV is the same as Oregon 91VG for grinding purposes?

Yes it has the stupid safety link like VG does...:chainsaw:

4200 fuel line size

Anybody know the I.D & O.D for the 530021022 fuel line as used
on the 4200 to 5400, I know I can order it in, but NAPA and at least
two local saw shops stock fuel line bulk rolls by line size, not part #, no shipping
involved.

Poulan 100 chain

I have old Poulan branded loops of 3/8 LP with 91 on DL, Oregon uses
25 for 1/4 pitch now, Poulan may have sourced chain from a different maker,
should be able to measure pitch.

If I remember correctly old Poulan 100 chain is the same as Oregon 91VS which is a semi chisel chain not chamfer chisel chain.

I agree the cutter looks like semi-chisel (rounded corner not chamfered corner). However, in the Oregon Tech manual 91VS is described as chamfer chisel just like 91VG only difference being no safety bumber. Both 91VS and VG get ground the same way but the Poulan 100 cutter definitely is semi-chisel, definitely 3/8 low pro (I have a loop of Oregon 34SL and the spacing is WAY different). As far as I can tell Oregon doesn't make a semi-chisel 3/8 low pro so hence the grinding question...

As far as I can tell Oregon doesn't make a semi-chisel 3/8 low pro

I take this part back, one of the 3/8 LP chains for my stupid Devil Beaver is Oregon and it has SEMI-CHISEL cutters...go figure, no mention of this in the tech manual...now what.

I have a 3400 and was wanting to upgrade it to a 3700 or a 4000 (rather a 4000). My question is will the 3700 and 4000 P/C bolt right on the saw and will the rod from the 3400 work with either. I think I know the answer but was wanting to hear it from the expert LOL (MARK):D

Well, I'm obviously not THE expert, but the answer is still the same.
The 4000 P/C is a direct swap, but be very careful with removing and reinstalling the piston on the con rod.
Many of those pistons have been trashed attempting this swap!

Mike

Well, I'm obviously not THE expert, but the answer is still the same.
The 4000 P/C is a direct swap, but be very careful with removing and reinstalling the piston on the con rod.
Many of those pistons have been trashed attempting this swap!

Mike

Dang it Mike I should've put your name on there also! If your not an expert on these series of poulan you could've fooled me.;)

BTW thanks for the answer.

I'd sharpen at 30 degrees across the top, set the angle at 60 degrees, and keep the disc in the middle, no offset, Brian. See how its looks. Is the chain rocked, or are you touching up, if just touching up, should notice right away if you are changing a bunch. I never called 91 anything from Oregon anything but semi chisel, so I've learned something today. I get out of school early on Friday now, right? It maybe that the devil beaver wore the edge from the chamfer chisel off just from the shear power off the machine, too-consider that?

I'd sharpen at 30 degrees across the top, set the angle at 60 degrees, and keep the disc in the middle, no offset, Brian. See how its looks. Is the chain rocked, or are you touching up, if just touching up, should notice right away if you are changing a bunch. I never called 91 anything from Oregon anything but semi chisel, so I've learned something today. I get out of school early on Friday now, right? It maybe that the devil beaver wore the edge from the chamfer chisel off just from the shear power off the machine, too-consider that?

STOP IT! If I laugh out load I will wake up the better half...I did consider the shear power physically transforming the chain but I didn't want anyone to get jealous so I left that part out. :laugh:

No chain is not rocked, 60, 30, 0 was what I was going to try. Thanks for the pointer.

And yes you can get out early...:laugh:

Latest posts

Back