Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooolll! Like the bar! :cheers:

Mark, glad you like the saw, glad to see it in a better home.

Here is a cool bar tip on my running comet mono245:
attachment.php

Mark, glad you like the saw, glad to see it in a better home.

Here is a cool bar tip on my running comet mono245:
attachment.php

Yep I like those bars!

I did fool with the 401 this afternoon, took a lot of cleaning :givebeer:

It had some stuck on stuff!

Had it running but I think it has a air leak on the flywheel side seal.

Also had the carb off and fixed a couple other things.

I did put a 21" hard tip on it and run it a little bit. It pulled very hard through some oak.

I'll get back to it when I get some crank seals for it.

I'm disappointed that it needs seals, I would have bet against that by the way it ran.

LP and me have been chasing ducks but I took time to put the 5200 back together and I square filed a chain for it.

That sucker will get on with the program and now I see why ya'll like um so good. That thing with that square on it eats up some wood and was pulling great big chips on a 20" poplar test log. Think I'm really going to like this thing. Thanks 67 Mustang for all the info. I'll get LP to post some pics as soon as he can.

So Joe, what are your plans now? I might have some things to help you put that thing back together but I think you need to get it the rest of the way apart and inspect that crank and rod very close if it had water in it.

Honestly if the crank and rod are shot, you maybe ahead to just save that P/C for another saw.

Mark,
Nice score on that 401. That series of saws along with the 4200&^ I never see in these parts. I might have to just get one off the 'bay.

Mark and Gregg,
Thank you for your generosity:). As for my plans, I don't know yet. Its not too often I come across a 245A in any condition. Its safe to say this saw was not well taken care of. I havent pulled the crank case apart yet, but looking down into it I can see rust on the crank and corrosion inside the crank case. The fuel tank has the some magnesium cancer as does the reed block. The PO destroyed the electronic ign ang flywheel and that reaaaalllly pi$$es me off since he had to have heard it and could have prevented it!! Not to mention the parts availability aspect. So at this point, I will be looking for a strait gassed or lean seized saw. The manual oiler still works and the clutch cover is in nice shape, has a nice spike on there too.
I cant complain, I will make something out of it and it will cost me some $$ but if I can add another 245A it will be well worth it. And if nothing else at least I have a decent parts saw for my runner:chainsaw:

I'm disappointed that it needs seals, I would have bet against that by the way it ran.

I'm not disappointed, the things 40 years old! I expect things like that. Not nothing but a thing. I'll wait till I get my new fuel lines in and do it all at once.

An hour or two at the bench and a few beers will take care of it.

LP and me have been chasing ducks but I took time to put the 5200 back together and I square filed a chain for it.

That sucker will get on with the program and now I see why ya'll like um so good. That thing with that square on it eats up some wood and was pulling great big chips on a 20" poplar test log. Think I'm really going to like this thing. Thanks 67 Mustang for all the info. I'll get LP to post some pics as soon as he can.

Yep, anyone who runs them seem impressed. One of the best saws made.

So Joe, what are your plans now? I might have some things to help you put that thing back together but I think you need to get it the rest of the way apart and inspect that crank and rod very close if it had water in it.

Honestly if the crank and rod are shot, you maybe ahead to just save that P/C for another saw.

Mark,
Nice score on that 401. That series of saws along with the 4200&^ I never see in these parts. I might have to just get one off the 'bay.

Mark and Gregg,
Thank you for your generosity:). As for my plans, I don't know yet. Its not too often I come across a 245A in any condition. Its safe to say this saw was not well taken care of. I havent pulled the crank case apart yet, but looking down into it I can see rust on the crank and corrosion inside the crank case. The fuel tank has the some magnesium cancer as does the reed block. The PO destroyed the electronic ign ang flywheel and that reaaaalllly pi$$es me off since he had to have heard it and could have prevented it!! Not to mention the parts availability aspect. So at this point, I will be looking for a strait gassed or lean seized saw. The manual oiler still works and the clutch cover is in nice shape, has a nice spike on there too.
I cant complain, I will make something out of it and it will cost me some $$ but if I can add another 245A it will be well worth it. And if nothing else at least I have a decent parts saw for my runner:chainsaw:

Yeah I hate to not bring one of those back to life as well. I just have a feeling that your going to find more trouble as you go deeper into it.

I'm not disappointed, the things 40 years old! I expect things like that. Not nothing but a thing. I'll wait till I get my new fuel lines in and do it all at once.

An hour or two at the bench and a few beers will take care of it.

Yep, anyone who runs them seem impressed. One of the best saws made.

Yeah I hate to not bring one of those back to life as well. I just have a feeling that your going to find more trouble as you go deeper into it.

I agree. I have accepted the fact that this will be a parts saw. I plan on building a 245A around the P&C off this one and using the rest of the parts as back up for my runner. The search begins>>>>

Well guys I bought me a 4000, got it on ebay, if anyone was following I was the one that bought the saw the guy had started at $230, he went down to $175, so I bought it right there. Just wondering if you think I overpaid???

At least it got a top cover now? :hmm3grin2orange:
Haha, guess so.

Well guys I bought me a 4000, got it on ebay, if anyone was following I was the one that bought the saw the guy had started at $230, he went down to $175, so I bought it right there. Just wondering if you think I overpaid???
If you are happy, then its a good deal in my book.

Look at a comparable size modern saw, and the prices. These guys rate the 4000 pretty well, but I havent got to run one yet. What is wrong with that picture 67? :)

I agree with Little Possum, If your happy, then ya did fine.:)

Like LP said, go buy a new 64cc saw, and see what ya have to pay for it.
And, believe me when I say, They will cut wood, very well:D
I supposedly have another 4000 coming, I bought off ebay also, but havn't seen it yet! :mad: It better show up this week, or gonna have to start mixing it up with somebody. Think I paid $91 + shipping for it.
:cheers:
Gregg,

I haven't seen the saw, so I don't know. However, I didn't even call on one locally that was advertised at $150.

Idle speed screw/spring M.I.A.

A friends idle speed screw and spring turned up missing in action on his Poulan. Then my Craftsman's idle started to get slower and slower. Mine was almost out of its' threads. Readjusted the idle and used mom's hot glue gun to run a bead from the carb body allong the spring onto the head of the screw. Seems to be staying put now.

Do they make a special driver for the 'tamper proof' H & L mix screws or do I just make something.

Thanks.

I agree with Little Possum, If your happy, then ya did fine.:)

Like LP said, go buy a new 64cc saw, and see what ya have to pay for it.
And, believe me when I say, They will cut wood, very well:D
I supposedly have another 4000 coming, I bought off ebay also, but havn't seen it yet! :mad: It better show up this week, or gonna have to start mixing it up with somebody. Think I paid $91 + shipping for it.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Well I'll find out more when it gets here, but it a supposed runner with Oregon 24" power match bar and LGX skip tooth chain with about 50% wear. Saw looks nice.

I wish my 3700 would get here guy is waiting for the check to clear hopefully today. Im about to start school so i wont be cutting wood that much....

carb kitted my 4200 earlier

The only problem was a cotter key that broke on the choke linkage
on reassembly, modified a paper clip for now, just needs to be ran hard.

One of of my old buds stopped earlier, he has a Wild Thingy and a 306A
down for what is probably fuel line issues, will run if mix squirted down
the carburetor throat.

Back