Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah thats what the call it and it does serve that purpose but I think there really more of a muffler guard to keep from denting the muffler up when dogged in bucking up big wood.

My 4200 has that same shield on its muffler. I don't really like the looks of them that well. I would trade mine for a regular muffler.

Some day when I get time I'm going to build a big set of inner and outer dogs for one of mine.

That is a muffler heat shield that was used primarily on the US & Canada west coast to pass the USDA muffler skin temperature requirements, and in Australia.
If anyone is still interested in a NOS Canadian chainbrake to fit 34/37/4000 saws, send me a message.

That is a muffler heat shield that was used primarily on the US & Canada west coast to pass the USDA muffler skin temperature requirements, and in Australia.
If anyone is still interested in a NOS Canadian chainbrake to fit 34/37/4000 saws, send me a message.

You have a pm.....

You would know the details for sure, thanks for shareing that info!

I guess what I really meant should have went more like " but to me, I think there really more of a muffler guard"

They do keep the muffler from getting dented up on big wood.

Hey Bob! I got that 3000 out finally the other day, and what a little runner it is! Man it rips.

I would run it against the 5100s that I got from Mike but I would have to keep the results to myself. It would stirr too much stuff if it would hang with it. (it maynot be far behind)

She runs good, you got it tuned in really well.

Thats great Mark. My 3000 runs real good as well. Had a PP305 that didn't seem to have the grunt of the 3000 so I gave it to my BIL. Couldn't figure out why it shouldn't run the same seeing as how comp etc was almost the same. Bob

No the 038 is just a hair larger, you would need to file fit the rings.

I never did it but was going to but got the last set of OEM ones that Calvin had instead.

There's a guy up in MD who can fit rings to most anything. Had him fit me a set for a 245. Haven't used them yet but have seen other rings that he fit for other saws work well.

duckbill on S25D gas cap?

I checked mine, it doesn't have one but could have been lost over the
years. Can anyone verify they use one?

Next Poulan?

I am gonna keep my eyes peeled for my next Poulan. Which saw do you guys think would be a great find. I would like a 100cc saw. But not to sure how easy that will be to find. Heck I might get me one of them Wildthings...

duckbill pics, no that's ok

I know what one looks like, the PP260 uses one in the cap.
If the close by dealer doesn't have any, it looks like Calvin has the
Poulan ones.(530026119)

I am gonna keep my eyes peeled for my next Poulan. Which saw do you guys think would be a great find. I would like a 100cc saw. But not to sure how easy that will be to find. Heck I might get me one of them Wildthings...

a canadian one with chainbrake:chainsawguy:

Im pretty sure i have a chainbrake coming for mine now:biggrinbounce2:

Well, You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a WildThing. But a 100cc Poulan is another story. Most likely to find in that category, would be a Poulan 6000, or a Poulan Pro 655. But, there aren't a whole lot of those floating around, especially in good shape.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Steve, do you send him the P&C ?

No need to send the P&C. Just need to send ring thickness and piston diameter. I also sent pics. He filed the ends to fit the pin in the ring groove although the original used ones I have were just flat. As I said, I haven't tried them yet but this guy made rings for Igpoe for a couple of his two man saws including a Titan Bluestreak and seems happy enough with them. They worked for him. IIRC they were $5 each unless he files them and then they're $8 ea.

You gonna have to get in a long line to get a 6000 or 655 unless you find one close to you for sale that no other Poulan Lovers knows about. The line is already pretty long for 65-85 cc saws. :chainsawguy:

Last edited:
No need to send the P&C. Just need to send ring thickness and piston diameter. I also sent pics. He filed the ends to fit the pin in the ring groove although the original used ones I have were just flat. As I said, I haven't tried them yet but this guy made rings for Igpoe for a couple of his two man saws including a Titan Bluestreak and seems happy enough with them. They worked for him. IIRC they were $5 each unless he files them and then they're $8 ea.

You gonna have to get in a long line to get a 6000 or 655 unless you find one close to you for sale that no other Poulan Lovers knows about. The line is already pretty long for 65-85 cc saws. :chainsawguy:

Just visit Otto Gas Engine Works. Dave Reed is the dude that is the one-man Co. Bore size, (as measured on piston skirt) ring thickness, and ring depth are your needed measurements. He sent me 10 rings from Frederick MD. in two days. He takes CC's.
Igpoe:cheers:

What i just learned!!!!

I just learned you cant install points in a non points saw!!!! even if you drill and tap holes and swap the fly wheel out!!!!! the crank shaft is different!!!!! oh well back to the search for the right module for it think i will take it to sears repair place up the road see if i can find a new one to swap cant believe i drilled and tapped it and did not notice the shaft was different!!!!!heck i barley cussed and did not throw anything!!!!!cleaned it and reassembled it minus the module!!!!

I just learned you cant install points in a non points saw!!!! even if you drill and tap holes and swap the fly wheel out!!!!! the crank shaft is different!!!!! oh well back to the search for the right module for it think i will take it to sears repair place up the road see if i can find a new one to swap cant believe i drilled and tapped it and did not notice the shaft was different!!!!!heck i barley cussed and did not throw anything!!!!!cleaned it and reassembled it minus the module!!!!

Oh Well, It's lighter now! :laugh:

just learned installing duckbills is women's work

I took my S25 over to a local Jonsered dealer, small engine repair shop
close by, took the saw in to see if they had seen a Clip-N-Trim attachment
His wife had the duckbill installed within a minute after she pulled it
off the shelf while he kept on working on a Murray lawnmower.

I learned the answer to the quiet saws my buds heard last year in WK.
One of the local mills has their own gathering crews & use harvesters,
I thought it was a PNW or SE pulpwood thing.

Latest posts

Back