Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, I'm not big on the primer bulb saws either,:dizzy: Only have a wild thing type, and don't fool with it much. I put a different carb on it, and did away with the primer bulb, so I can't go look at it to help ya. My 2175 has one too, but I loaned that saw to my cousin about 3 months ago:dizzy: havn't seen it since...lol
Don't take much to do some experimenting though, switch the lines around and see what works and what dont.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Yea, I'm beginning to think this saw is becoming a millstone. Switched lines around and I can get saw to run for 5-10 seconds then it dies. Definetly a fuel issue. May have to take carb apart for the third time. About only thing I haven't touched are the Welch plugs and they may be next.
Bob

Yea, I'm beginning to think this saw is becoming a millstone. Switched lines around and I can get saw to run for 5-10 seconds then it dies. Definetly a fuel issue. May have to take carb apart for the third time. About only thing I haven't touched are the Welch plugs and they may be next.
Bob

Sorry I can't offer any more help than already mentioned, Bob.

I'm with ya, were on the same page!

You got the 306 in the shop, I thought it was yours....

Ours, as in the shops. Ain't going to be for sale. I have a couple to work on first, mine all mine, but they are not lime green or Craftsman red, same color as Mikeys tractors.

primer bulb

I rerouted lines on my PP260 according to earlier posts. It now has line from
filter to nipple closer to fuel pump diaphragm, the line to air purge/primer
to nipple closer to metering diaphragm. I could push bulb in while unhooked and hold a finger over the in side & the bulb would not pop back out. I imagine it
is possible for one of them to fail (internal check valve/s).
It seems to be working better now, purge even fills better.
The air purge is directional, only flows one way.

I rerouted lines on my PP260 according to earlier posts. It now has line from
filter to nipple closer to fuel pump diaphragm, the line to air purge/primer
to nipple closer to metering diaphragm. I could push bulb in while unhooked and hold a finger over the in side & the bulb would not pop back out. I imagine it
is possible for one of them to fail (internal check valve/s).
It seems to be working better now, purge even fills better.
The air purge is directional, only flows one way.

On the primer there is a short and long tube right?

The line from the carb goes to the short tube on the primer.
The line from the long tube on the primer goes back to fuel tank as the return.

Don't know if they made that style as a 3.0 or not. The one I have is a 3.7 (Poulan 3800) model # 358.356091. If you go to Sears Parts Direct (http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/Chainsaw-Parts/Model-358356091/0247/1503220?pathTaken=) and look that up it'll show the parts listing and over on the right side it says "Get Manuals for this Model" and in my experience the front of the manual will have the displacement.

I Looked One Up Like That Last Week. Saw Said 3.0/18"
Model Was 358.356081. Searspartsdirect Showed 3.0/18" &
Also That Was What Was On The Manual. Looked Up P/N For
Cylinder It Was 12066 Same As Poulan 3400.

purge bulb (tubes)

Yes, the primer bulb has unequal length barbs, they are labeled carb &
tank, can put a piece of hose on one and see which one draws fuel
and which one expels toward tank return. I looked at 67 Mustang's diagram(5660) and briantutt's picture from Zama (5666) and done it that way. Scottr took a look at his PP220 and replied too. The main thing I noticed is that line from filter is hooked to fuel pump diaphragm end and primer draws fuel from metering diaphragm end. Bulb should be out of picture except in priming, checks in primer should prevent back flow while running.

Poulan 1950

Well after several attempts, I got the sucker running. Took carb apart three times and cleaned it. Last attempt I ran a small wire through the orifices and it started. believe it to be a coincidence. However I did find a schematic for the primer bulb that differs if the saw is anti-vibe or not. Apparently there were differant carbs for each saw. The one I'm working on is non-AV. I've attached the schematic below. Only differance in the anti-vibe saws is that the tank line goes to the top carb inlet.

I got a quick question guys. If some of you that were alive in the 80s(im to young) could remember, how many loggers actually used poulans? Were they popular like Mac, Homelite, Stihl, Husky, etc. Or were they kind of a outcast when it came to real logging?

Im talking exclusively about the 3700,4000,4200, etc.....

I got a quick question guys. If some of you that were alive in the 80s(im to young) could remember, how many loggers actually used poulans? Were they popular like Mac, Homelite, Stihl, Husky, etc. Or were they kind of a outcast when it came to real logging?

In North Louisiana most every pulpwood truck had a Poulan bow bar saw hanging off the back.

You have to remember that when the 3700 was out Stihl had the 041 and Husky had the 162. The domestic distributor network (poulan, mac, & homelite) was far superior to what they have now. There were true saw shops that would laugh if you brought a mower into.

Poulan saws were not outcast but the war is very much like dodge vs gm vs ford.

Lol

LMAO i was in high school in the 80s claykann ya making me feel old!!!! :jawdrop: LOL

Latest posts

Back