Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didnt mean to make yall feel old i just like to learn a little history on my new favorite saw:D

I got a quick question guys. If some of you that were alive in the 80s(im to young) could remember, how many loggers actually used poulans? Were they popular like Mac, Homelite, Stihl, Husky, etc. Or were they kind of a outcast when it came to real logging?

Im talking exclusively about the 3700,4000,4200, etc.....

You know Clay I am fully qualified to answer this question because I was around in the 80's and the 70's and the 60's and JUST missed the 50's!!!LOL

It depended on where you were in the country.
Around here Mac was probably #1 followed closely by Poulan and Homelite in that order.
Depending on which dealer was really strong in a given community.
In central Kentucky there were several really good Poulan dealers and there are literally thousands of Poulans everywhere but not a lot of the bigger ones.
The 306, 3400, S25 series and the micros are in every barn, garage and smokehouse in the country.
I had one uncle that was a Mac NUT. If it wasn't black and yellow you couldn't sit it down on his farm. (Until the Remington Mighty Might Bantam but that's another story)
Another uncle in the same community SWORE by Poulans and had an old sand cast Poulan that holds the record still as the loudest saw I've ever seen.

As you went further south the saws got bigger and Poulans were very popular in Tennessee and Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi.
In other parts of the country the Poulans were practically non existant.

As a side note when I was a boy, I remember hearing old men (to me at the time anyway) saying how they would NEVER own one of them "damned German saws after all of the good boys of ours that they killed in the war"!

Mike

Clay makes a good point though. I too, would like to see more info, stories, history, etc. of Poulan saws over the years. I have read some stuff about the early days, when the company started, but not a great deal about later on.

Hard to find much searching the Internet about sales figures, for example. Compared to other companies, in different eras, or parts of the country. I know Poulans have allways been big in the deep south, and thats where they were built and got their start.

Guess, I'm waiting on Mark to write THE Ultimate Book of Poulan Facts, Figures and History. :D LOL I say that laughing, but am serious. I have read tons of history, inside stuff, numbers, reasons for doing certain things for example, about Ford tractors. Just wish that kind of info was available for Poulan saws.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Salvageable?

Got the piston unstuck from the cylinder last night; with remarkably little effort. What do you think about the condition of the piston, is it salvageable?

I know the pictures are large, but it gives you the detail.

Thanks

piston1.jpg

piston3.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation. I've contacted these guys, Ottos Engine Works, about having a new piston made. I am also looking for a used part in good condition. If anyone has any leads, let me know.

Cheers

How does the cylinder look ? Never have had a piston custom made but I can see dollar signs all over the place. I might scour Ebay for a good running used 245 and use those parts.

How does the cylinder look ? Never have had a piston custom made but I can see dollar signs all over the place. I might scour Ebay for a good running used 245 and use those parts.

The cylinder looks good. I took some pictures, but they didn't turn out. Really, though, it is fine.

I figured it would be worth asking about having a new one made, but yes, the quote will probably be expensive.

What would you (anyone) consider a fair price on a used P/C set?

Thanks

The cylinder looks good. I took some pictures, but they didn't turn out. Really, though, it is fine.

I figured it would be worth asking about having a new one made, but yes, the quote will probably be expensive.

What would you (anyone) consider a fair price on a used P/C set?

Thanks

Haven't seen a P&C combo. I did pick up a used cylinder for I believe $25 plus shipping. Thought that was fair seeing as how they are far and few inbetween.

Went cutting with my 3700 poulan today. It was cutting great when i first started, then i ran out of my first tank of gas. So i filled it up all the way to the top, I go to start it and bogs down every time i give it gas. Do that several times keeps doing that. Now once it gets half a tank it runs fine, like theres nothing wrong with it.

DSCN2077.jpg

Is this the right duck bill value or what?

No, actually your duckbill is missing, and that line should be pulled tight to the fuel tank and fitting. Shouldn't have any slack at all.

Got the piston unstuck from the cylinder last night; with remarkably little effort. What do you think about the condition of the piston, is it salvageable?

I know the pictures are large, but it gives you the detail.

Thanks

piston1.jpg

piston3.jpg

Even I couldn't save that one and I've brought several back from the dead!!!

As said before, you might want to hold off on having a piston custom made.
One in useable condition will turn up before long. You just have to be diligent in your searching.

Mike

I looked at picture

It looks like it could just be a fitting to prevent return line from popping
out of tank, (PP 260 like that) I have a S25 that uses a duckbill in cap & a 4200 that vents another way.

No, actually your duckbill is missing, and that line should be pulled tight to the fuel tank and fitting. Shouldn't have any slack at all.

It looks like it could just be a fitting to prevent return line from popping
out of tank, (PP 260 like that) I have a S25 that uses a duckbill in cap & a 4200 that vents another way.

I tore the whole saw down today and cleaned it and went over every inch of it. Its gotta be that fuel line. I did make it shorter poured a full tank in it and it fired right off and idled none of that bogging crap.

So yall are saying i need to pull that fitting up to the top of the tank? I also noticed when its full it leaks out of those holes in the tank for the fuel line i think it only does it on the vent one. Could i use a sealant or something? Would a small engine place have a duckbill valve?

Also i tore the handle apart! What a mistake i cant seem to find where the spring goes? Can yall point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back