Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not familiar with 3700

Do they have a primer/air purge?
The older Poulans have only one pickup line to carburetor.
Some of the newer ones with air purge have to be just right on fuel
line routing, work great if working right and start quicker, but more
complicated to fix.

Just wanted to display my Poulan Pro sign.

DSC_0020.jpg

Do they have a primer/air purge?
The older Poulans have only one pickup line to carburetor.
Some of the newer ones with air purge have to be just right on fuel
line routing, work great if working right and start quicker, but more
complicated to fix.

No, no primer or air purge. Just one line to the carb, and one vent line.

Clay makes a good point though. I too, would like to see more info, stories, history, etc. of Poulan saws over the years. I have read some stuff about the early days, when the company started, but not a great deal about later on.

Hard to find much searching the Internet about sales figures, for example. Compared to other companies, in different eras, or parts of the country. I know Poulans have allways been big in the deep south, and thats where they were built and got their start.

Guess, I'm waiting on Mark to write THE Ultimate Book of Poulan Facts, Figures and History. :D LOL I say that laughing, but am serious. I have read tons of history, inside stuff, numbers, reasons for doing certain things for example, about Ford tractors. Just wish that kind of info was available for Poulan saws.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Don't wait on me, I don't know as much as you think. I'm constantly on the lookout for that info though.

poulan 2000

Ok this saw is driving me nuts!!!!I redid it with parts a few weeks ago.... new lines new fuel filter cleaned a good used air filter somtimes it fires right up!!! when it dont its a bear!!!! pulled the starter rope out uggggg!!! fixed that got it to start it seems to run fine..... i adjusted the idle a few weeks ago have had two carbs on it.... same syptoms it seemed to be idleing high adjusted that let it idle for 15 minutes.... shut it off grabed a few of my other saws to start and run i like to start ones i dont use all the time every few weeks turned the 2000 off .... it was only say for a about ten minutes it would not start to save my life!!!! wth????? has anyone ever had this could it be a vapor lock duck bill flooding????

Poulan Pro signs

I know where there are some faded on an outside wall of a little shop.
They sell Jonsered chainsaws now.
I spent part of my day working on a plastic PP260, Poulan is not what
they used to be, just hind tit for the Husqvarna Group.

Went cutting with my 3700 poulan today. It was cutting great when i first started, then i ran out of my first tank of gas. So i filled it up all the way to the top, I go to start it and bogs down every time i give it gas. Do that several times keeps doing that. Now once it gets half a tank it runs fine, like theres nothing wrong with it.

DSCN2077.jpg

Is this the right duck bill value or what?

Read what Dave says below, he is dead on. That is the fitting that the duckbill check valve fastens to. Your at lest lucky that you still have that fitting as most get lost. I just myself picked up 6 of those valves from my dealer today. The part # is 530026119 and they cost $2

No, actually your duckbill is missing, and that line should be pulled tight to the fuel tank and fitting. Shouldn't have any slack at all.

Rep coming your way.

It looks like it could just be a fitting to prevent return line from popping
out of tank, (PP 260 like that) I have a S25 that uses a duckbill in cap & a 4200 that vents another way.

What in the world are you talking about? :laugh:

You don't have a clue do you. LOL

Dave had already told what it was and what it was for.

Good try though.

If I didn't need my Poulans every now & then

I would toss them in the next brush pile fire. They are old, heavy for
power/weight but usable. The 4200 & 5400 are the only large saws I
have; been working on a PP260 for trash wood & have a running S25D.

I forgot to mention the 361

Last edited:
Read what Dave says below, he is dead on. That is the fitting that the duckbill check valve fastens to. Your at lest lucky that you still have that fitting as most get lost. I just myself picked up 6 of those valves from my dealer today. The part # is 530026119 and they cost $2

Rep coming your way.

What in the world are you talking about? :laugh:

You don't have a clue do you. LOL

Dave had already told what it was and what it was for.

Good try though.

Thanks a bunch! So tell me what exactly is the duck bill for? Will it cure its full tank bog? What can i use to seal around the fuel line as well? Thanks again!

O btw where in the heck does the spring go in the handle for the throttle?

Thanks a bunch! So tell me what exactly is the duck bill for? Will it cure its full tank bog? What can i use to seal around the fuel line as well? Thanks again!

The duckbill check valve is just that. It's a rubber check valve that allows air into the tank as the fuel is used up to keep from forming a vacuume in the tank that would stop the flow of fuel to the carb.

If your fuel and vent lines are not sealing the holes in the tank then you have the wrong size OD on the lines themselves.

I use .117x.211 lines on the vent line. Most tanks seemed to like a 3/16"OD fuel line as the hole is actually smaller then the vent hole. I useally just run a 3/16" drill through the fuel line hole and use the .211OD line on the fuel line as well.

Full tank bog? I'm not sure I follow you on that one.

The bent end goes to the top and in the oblong hole in the trigger lock.
The loop in the middle goes over the post in front of the top rear screw hole in the handle.
The smooth end just sits on the floor of the handle directly under and slightly rearward of the trigger lock. (It is the only place that it can go.)

Mike

Thanks to the guy that came all the way down to my house and hooked me up with a reed valve block. Man that thing looks brand new. Due to more cleaning I didn't get it going yet. I pulled an LP and held the plug an grounded my finger and it knocked the crap out of me so I know it's going to go. You are a real gem when it comes to these pretty green saws. I have you to thank for getting LP and me started on um.

Ain't going to call no names but his initials are Steve (67 mustang) this old Q-tip needs more rep than it'll let me give him. How about it.
Thanks Steve glad you came down.

real nice guy!!!

Thanks to the guy that came all the way down to my house and hooked me up with a reed valve block. Man that thing looks brand new. Due to more cleaning I didn't get it going yet. I pulled an LP and held the plug an grounded my finger and it knocked the crap out of me so I know it's going to go. You are a real gem when it comes to these pretty green saws. I have you to thank for getting LP and me started on um.

Ain't going to call no names but his initials are Steve (67 mustang) this old Q-tip needs more rep than it'll let me give him. How about it.
Thanks Steve glad you came down.

he seems like a real nice guy!!!!so is he built like his name sake? what a cool name to have eh?whats Qtip mean exmilitary or grey hair never heard qtip before so im just gussing!!!

361, not a Stihl

I think they are from the 60's, they use same bar as 4200,
a flat rear exhaust saw similar to a 306.

The duckbill check valve is just that. It's a rubber check valve that allows air into the tank as the fuel is used up to keep from forming a vacuume in the tank that would stop the flow of fuel to the carb.

If your fuel and vent lines are not sealing the holes in the tank then you have the wrong size OD on the lines themselves.

I use .117x.211 lines on the vent line. Most tanks seemed to like a 3/16"OD fuel line as the hole is actually smaller then the vent hole. I useally just run a 3/16" drill through the fuel line hole and use the .211OD line on the fuel line as well.

Full tank bog? I'm not sure I follow you on that one.
Im using the same size line as the fuel line, fuel line is snug but the vent isnt.

The full tank bog is when i fill it up to the top and fire it up it wants to bog and die. Until about 3/4s it runs great then. After i put most of it together i filled the tank full and fired it up, it did not do the bog but i was just wondering what could of caused it.

Latest posts

Back