Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the only decal that I have seen like that. If Joe at sugar creek supply had a good pic or a sample, he could reproduce them. The k&n filter set up is not as common as the standard filter. The standard filter cover had a decal similar to the one in this picture.
PPP42.jpg

Thanks man for the info, thats a nice looking set of decals there.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think the K&N was standard on any model. From the ipl's I have it appears to be an optional thing for the later Pioneers and into the Poulan 655s.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think the K&N was standard on any model. From the ipl's I have it appears to be an optional thing for the later Pioneers and into the Poulan 655s.

My printed materials show the same. The standard cover was the flat top as stated in the first post and the decal in the P42 set posted by would fit some covers but not all.

Pioneerguy600

The 700 is looking great, most of them I have seen are beat near to death. I hope Joe starts making some carb kits for the OMC carbs, very hard to find NOS ones anymore.
Pioneerguy600

I'll bet those got beat to crap. For an early 60s model, they seem to be way ahead of their time. Here's some pics I've linked from Mike Acres website. Judging by the mufflers, all of these saws appear to be destroyed 700Ds.

Chris B.

175.3E8E

181.3F96

187.42DA

I have seen that pict before, it was a time when Mike was one of two camp mechanics. If I remember correctly it was during the time they cut the road from the Yellowhead highwayup to Watson Lake on the Alaska highway. They called that road the Cassair Highway as it linked a one of the only settlements with the same name to the outside world. I drove that highway just two summers ago, what beautiful country!!

Pioneerguy600

The parts to complete the P62 came in this week and I took a little time this afternoon to install them, its all complete now and everything works great. Thanks to the Pioneer thread members for the parts they sent me. "Muffler and rear handle"

Christmas%202010%20178.jpg

Oil pump button;
Christmas%202010%20182.jpg

Put a chainbrake band in and upgraded linkage;

Christmas%202010%20184.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Top handle is from a Pioneer/Partner P52 (judging by color). The half wrap and top cover is either P39/42/45

Pioneer Saws

Jerry
Thats a good lookin P62 in its work clothes.
The other looks like one that would make Johnny Cash proud. I think the top handle and muffler are from a Farmsaw. Has the newer front handle. One of the best things about Pioneer is they have a lot of interchangable parts. We may keep them running for ever. Just got a load of logs in today. Now to decide which saws to use.

Top handle is from a Pioneer/Partner P52 (judging by color). The half wrap and top cover is either P39/42/45

Guess someone put it together from parts, darn solid saw, great comp and very nice tight feeling, came to me in a pile of saws and parts for $20. it`s the first one I pulled out to look over. Thanks for the parts rundown.

Pioneerguy600

Jerry
Thats a good lookin P62 in its work clothes.
The other looks like one that would make Johnny Cash proud. I think the top handle and muffler are from a Farmsaw. Has the newer front handle. One of the best things about Pioneer is they have a lot of interchangable parts. We may keep them running for ever. Just got a load of logs in today. Now to decide which saws to use.

Thanks for the bits Jeff,..it is all nice and solid now and runs very well, I am running it just a little rich for the first couple of tanks and will lean it up a little then. It pulls real hard as it is, got a new Pioneer chain on it now.
I think you can choose one from your 30+ lineup of Pioneers, my guess, the BP655 to start with.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
The ol Pioneers have some great looks!

Has anyone had any luck crossing over the old style Purolator filter into something more modern? Saw in question is the 600, I think :)

The ol Pioneers have some great looks!

Has anyone had any luck crossing over the old style Purolator filter into something more modern? Saw in question is the 600, I think :)

Pioneer upgraded the 620 to the flat style filter and used it on the 650 also, I have no problems with the Purolator filter myself but if anyone wants to it is very easy to change over to the newer filter arrangement from the 620, 620 Super or the 650 as they all used a Tillotson HL carb all the parts will retrofit.

Pioneerguy600

Finally getting around to posting some photos of my current project - the IEL HM.

Found minor scoring on the P&C which cleaned up easily. Crank bearings were locked. As it turns out, it has the same bearings as my SP125. I machined a couple reducing bushings and will be able to use the same seals as well.

There is a break where the handle joins the fuel tank. That should not be a problem.

Got the Tilly HP 13A carb apart tonight. This carb looks extremely complicated to manufacture. I was able to make a new main diaphragm and gasket (machined a new pin to hold the plates to the rubber) but the fuel pump check valves are locked in the housing and need replaced (or maybe repaired?). The geen arrows in the photo show the location of the check valves. Any chance anyone has a fuel pump cover with the check valves or another solution? I can probably get the check valves out but would need replacements.

Also a question about the fuel pump diaphragm. It is domed on the side that fits to the fuel pump cover. Does it have to have this dome?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Pioneer upgraded the 620 to the flat style filter and used it on the 650 also, I have no problems with the Purolator filter myself but if anyone wants to it is very easy to change over to the newer filter arrangement from the 620, 620 Super or the 650 as they all used a Tillotson HL carb all the parts will retrofit.

Pioneerguy600
Thanks for the info Jerry.
No problems with the Purolator, I was just checking on a replacement. SP called NAPA the other day, but they were no help lol :silly:

Latest posts

Back