Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to do the same swap with both my McCulloch 550 and Super 250. Some prior owner already did the swap on my McCulloch 790, and I may end up doing the swap on RandyMac's 790 as well.:D

Yup, I got two 795's on the bench now that will get the swap as soon as one gets rings and the other gets a new piston/rings. Luckily my 895 already had an HL in it. You know, it's funny, but my Pioneer 800 and RA both have a tillotson on them and I though for sure that they waere earlier saws than the 750. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I also had a 700D a while back that came to me with an HL already on it.

Yup, I got two 795's on the bench now that will get the swap as soon as one gets rings and the other gets a new piston/rings. Luckily my 895 already had an HL in it. You know, it's funny, but my Pioneer 800 and RA both have a tillotson on them and I though for sure that they waere earlier saws than the 750. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I also had a 700D a while back that came to me with an HL already on it.

Maybe Pioneer was like McCulloch (and International Harvester by the way) in regards to using different componants through a model's production run. For example, my McCulloch 650/660 IPL has parts breakdowns for Tillotson HL, primer-flatbacks, and choke-flatbacks for both models (differentiated in the IPL by serial number prefix's). It appears that they switched through carbs throughout the ten or so years (approx) that this series was built.........switching back to certain carbs at times. Probably had to do with production runs and bulk purchases of the various carbs (from Tillotson and Walbro in the case of these Macs).

Maybe Pioneer made similar decissions regarding the Tilly HL's and the OMC (and whatever other Manufactures they used) carbs. Homelite seems to have switched back and forth between Tillotson HL's and Brown carbs in the EZ, EZ6, Zip, and other models of the late '50s and early '60s too. My IPL's list both...

IHC trucks, Scouts, and Travelalls can be a real hair-puller when it comes to tracking down what is the "correct" componants too...:D

Some have argued that the flatbacks (especially the primer versions) flow better than HL's of the same venturi size. I don't believe it makes enough of a difference to keep me from switching my flatback equipped McCullochs over to Tillotson HLs...:D

Pro/con arguments go out the window when you try to fix the GD things!!!

That said, I've kept the flatbacks in 5 of my Macs. One in particular seems to have to idle for 5 minutes before you can rev it up.

Chris B.

Due to the demands of the Second World war there was a great surge in development of all kinds of machines. Carbs were one of the benifactors from all the R&D and necessity for supplying the effort. The HL carbs showed up by mid 50`s in chainsaws , they were already proved to be reliable and were at least on the desiogn table by the Wars end, mid to later 40`s. They were the first all position carb that could pump fuel in any position thus eliminating the need to keep the float type carbs on the earlier saws in a vertical position for gravity feeding. The OPE industry really took off after the pumper carbs became available, it took some years to get the OPE gear reduced in size and weight to what we have today but the all position carb was the key to all of it.
Pioneerguy600

Pro/con arguments go out the window when you try to fix the GD things!!!

That said, I've kept the flatbacks in 5 of my Macs. One in particular seems to have to idle for 5 minutes before you can rev it up.

Chris B.

You said it Chris. The whole discussion was accademic for me until I had 'runner' saws with the damn things. I've always had good luck with HL's over the years, and after banging my head against the flatback wall a bit trying to get 'em right..............well I've decided to swap 'em ALL out for HL's...:cheers:

I've got a p50 on the way that the handle got ran over. what other p series handles will fit this model? Same with the clutch cover. The guy said it was barely used and found its way under the tractor.
Thanks Kevin

Top handle frame from any saw should fit starting with the Farm saw, Farmlite P40 and up. I will run some numbers on the rest.
Pioneerguyt600
Thanks for the help Jerry, I haven't even dug into my p60 and now I have a p50 on the way. The pioneer CAD bug hits preety hard. Work is slow at the moment, this could take a while. I just want to know what to keep an eye out for.
Thanks Kevin

why do i get stuck with these things?
11h9kww.jpg

abnt5d.jpg

'cause i like 'em!

What model Pioneer is that? Looks like a saw a fellow near here has had on CL off and on for a while. He called it an "X100" or something like that. I do remember that Acres' site didn't have a listing for the saw.

Anybody looking for this model? I'm going to make the 2 hour drive to his town to pick up another saw at some point. Wouldn't be much trouble to pick up this Pioneer while I'm there. PM me if you want his phone #....

it a p26. made in november 1981:good:

the only thing i didn't like about these (mostly the users fault) was they would boil the fuel, badly. usually this meant they needed to be cleaned. they didn't cool that good to begin with, then get them packed with saw dust.....
i really like the sound that muffler puts out. always liked that sound.

the only thing i didn't like about these (mostly the users fault) was they would boil the fuel, badly. usually this meant they needed to be cleaned. they didn't cool that good to begin with, then get them packed with saw dust.....

Thanks for the info. Is there such a thing as a Pioneer X100? The starter cover (and actualy the whole saw) looked more like an XL12 Homelite than that of the P26. Looked like a Poulan 361.

I've got a p50 on the way that the handle got ran over. what other p series handles will fit this model? Same with the clutch cover. The guy said it was barely used and found its way under the tractor.
Thanks Kevin

Like Jerry said the top handles from p40 on up will fit. The only difference is the p60 and up have the hole for the manual oiler. Clutch covers from p50 up will all fit.

Pioneer saws

Nice to see someone else close to home that likes Pioneer saws.

Latest posts

Back