Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pioneer may have been on to something with these 77cc saws. Pulled out this 2460 Super I got from a member. Has good compression. Rebuilt the carby and added the missing fuel filter. No muffler, so I stuck a 3270 tin can muffler on it. Clutch was totally destroyed; as in shoes broken in multiple places, the spider hammered out by the loose shoes, and the spring stretched (not broken!) to hell and back. Fortunately, the parts 3270 donated a fine clutch assembly. The bar off my 700D fit fine. Once sharpened, seemed to cut fine, too. Haven't done anything with the primer but I'm sure I can handle that. Just need a spike, which I believe I have found.

Overall, this saw is very, very used but still has life left. I like the feel of it and may find myself grabbing it more often than not. Anyone have a 3270 they are willing to part with?:fingers-crossed:

Chris B.

pioneer2460S_3.jpg

pioneer2460S_1.jpg

Well I gone and done bought a biggun. Just couldn't resist adding a 655 to my collection. Its wearing a new bar and chain plus had be gone through and cleaned up. The brake band is broke, wouldn't mind finding a full wrap maybe in the future. Is there a source for new pull handle for this? Also teh top cover has a few cracks in it.
Bob
IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

The laminated core from your (bad) ignition module picks up the magnetic field of the flywheel, provides the correct mounting position and creates a charge in the coil of wire mounted on it. Almost ANY coil of wire with enough coils of wire will work once mounted on your laminated core.
If you decide to pay $60± for a replacement ignition module Please send me the old module. I will gladly pay for the shipping.
Lou

I probably better look over the rest of the system a little bit better before I got for the new coil.

I'm wondering if there's the possibility of a bad connection, or the points may need cleaned.

I did get a very weak spark out of it, so maybe a cleaning is in line...

Got the recoil working today, which was a pretty simple fix. Kind of a nifty contraption in my opinion.

Chris

My parts saw when spun with an electric drill has spark. Pulled by hand I have not seen any. If you have spark but it is weak it is 99% the coil is bad. No spark can be shorts but I don't think weak. Use a business or index card and try setting the gap (coil to fly wheel), that might cause a weak spark, the only other thing that comes to mind is bad magnets in the fly wheel; not impossible but not likely.
Lou
No points on Farmsaw!

Last edited:
Well I gone and done bought a biggun. Just couldn't resist adding a 655 to my collection. Its wearing a new bar and chain plus had be gone through and cleaned up. The brake band is broke, wouldn't mind finding a full wrap maybe in the future. Is there a source for new pull handle for this? Also teh top cover has a few cracks in it.
Bob
IMG_4058.jpg

I saw that one, the price sure was right. If I didn't just blow my budget I would've been all over that. I can't believe it was on cl for that long before someone snatched it. Congrats on a nice saw.
chainsawr has a good stock of pioneer parts, if you can't find stuff here.
Kevin

My parts saw when spun with an electric drill has spark. Pulled by hand I have not seen any. If you have spark but it is weak it is 99% the coil is bad. No spark can be shorts but I don't think weak. Use a business or index card and try setting the gap (coil to fly wheel), that might cause a weak spark, the only other thing that comes to mind is bad magnets in the fly wheel; not impossible but not likely.
Lou
No points on Farmsaw!

I reset the gap on the flywheel today, no dice.

Looks like I'll be looking for a new coil, or doing what Farley9n did. Any idea what type of Homelite coil he used? Or can you offer any solution?

Oh yeah, I had a "DUH!" moment about the points.

Chris

Farley used a Weed Eater coil. Someone else was trying a Stihl coil. Any coil without speed regulation or other electronic tricks that will fit the existing laminated core should work. I plan on a visit to my local Stihl dealer and hopefully a few minutes in his scrap bin. A few different models will hopefully provide a suitable coil.
Lou

Real nice saw there Madsaw!Boy one day I gotta get me one of those.
Lawrence

Let me know when you want me to send one your way Lawrence.

Nice 655 you got there Madsaw, they really pull chain. I cut with some of mine this weekend and they cut right alongside my 046`s. They drew quite a crowd of onlookers, the sound from those mufflers let anyone in earshot know there is big power in those yellow saws.
Pioneerguy600

Best to ask the seller, it cound be a 1200 or any of 6-8 different models built on that chassis.
Pioneerguy600

This is the answer I got:
i believe it is a 1200 , i had another one of these that said 1200 and it looked just like this one

- usedsaws7777

I'm suprised he answered so quickly.

Last edited:
The 1110,1120,1130, 1150, 1160.1200, 2200 and 2270 had the same looking chassis, front handles on the 2200 and 2270 were slightly different but were interchangable so it`s a toss up but it very well may be a 1200.
Pioneerguy600

Lou,

I took the whole ignition assembly down this morning and cleaned it, re-gapped and re-installed. Threw a plug on it and I had good spark. The Farmsaw is now a runner. Probably should've done this before I posted on here, but you live and you learn.

Pretty smooth running saw, just got to throw a bar and chain on it and I'll be cutting.

Fires up on 2-3 pulls. Thank you for your help

Chris

Got a 1200 with a scored cylinder pumping 115 psi.
View attachment 170687
View attachment 170688

looking for:
Cylinder #428512
Piston #474575
Rings (2) #471698

misc. to trade or ??

leads to finding them greatly appreciated.

It runs good so I'm going to try it in some wood to see if it improves.

Here I am double posting again.

Last edited:
The HM is going back together but I'm running into a problem getting the cyl head to seal at the copper gasket. I assumed the old one could be reused if not damaged. I tried turning it over. There was a slight ridge around the aluminum cylinder just above the copper gasket. Thought maybe the head wasn't seating evenly on the gasket but I confirmed that with some paint.

I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.

Back