Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1200s are built like tanks, and feel about as heavy as one too. The one thing I don't care for on mine is the front handle is too skinny to get a good grip on.

RA Help Needed!

Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of tearing down a couple of RAs'. I've got the cylinder, flywheel and clutch off and don't know how to proceed in removing the crank. The case had about an inch off liquid (oil/water) at the bottom and there's some rust, so I would like to get in there and check the bearings etc.... Does anyone have a shop manual or perhaps are able to post a description on how to proceed. I don't want to go in to hastily and cause any damage. Thanks for any help.

Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of tearing down a couple of RAs'. I've got the cylinder, flywheel and clutch off and don't know how to proceed in removing the crank. The case had about an inch off liquid (oil/water) at the bottom and there's some rust, so I would like to get in there and check the bearings etc.... Does anyone have a shop manual or perhaps are able to post a description on how to proceed. I don't want to go in to hastily and cause any damage. Thanks for any help.

I wish I could help, but I have yet to get the time to start any work on my Ra project. Be patient, there are a few guys who troll this site that are really good with the older IEL/Pioneer saws.
Best of luck and keep us posted on this thread.
Drew

What Else Pioneer Stuff

Hi Fellas
Well got a nice little package today,a 2 1/4 inch stack of great photocopied material on Pioneer repairing,IPL's and some service bulletins,my printed material is growing.I just have to start getting my hands dirty now, then watch the questions appear.I have not even had a chance to look at what all is in the stack but it looks good to me.I need to mention to you guy's something about those Pioneer RA's.I think I have mentioned it before,but here goes.Did you know that the Pioneer RA's powered an early snow machine,YEP a snowmobile of sorts,it had wooden cleats for traction,and get this they used to ride them out in the woods take the RA off the snow machine and fix the bar and chain on and cut wood.COOL You can try an internet search on this HUS SKI.Let me know your thoughts on this.
If my wife finds out how much I have spent on Pioneer stuff,Welllll You won't see any more posts from this guy!
Lawrence

Hi Fellas
Well got a nice little package today,a 2 1/4 inch stack of great photocopied material on Pioneer repairing,IPL's and some service bulletins,my printed material is growing.I just have to start getting my hands dirty now, then watch the questions appear.I have not even had a chance to look at what all is in the stack but it looks good to me.I need to mention to you guy's something about those Pioneer RA's.I think I have mentioned it before,but here goes.Did you know that the Pioneer RA's powered an early snow machine,YEP a snowmobile of sorts,it had wooden cleats for traction,and get this they used to ride them out in the woods take the RA off the snow machine and fix the bar and chain on and cut wood.COOL You can try an internet search on this HUS SKI.Let me know your thoughts on this.
If my wife finds out how much I have spent on Pioneer stuff,Welllll You won't see any more posts from this guy!
Lawrence

I think that I warned you back when you first contacted me about a P25 that this Pioneer collecting can become costly. LOL
Pioneerguy600

It's neat that this thread just popped up. I was given an 1120 pioneer today. No bar and chain though.... It looks decent with all the parts there. Paint is ok with minimal chipping from age. I put some gas into the carb and it popped an ran for a bit. It works!!!

I may just have to clean this up and play with it. The pull cord doesn't work sometimes and doesn't catch. So errrr. there goes my shoulder. Wasn't expecting that!!!!

Hey Guys,

` The crank comes out through the recoil side of the RA after you strip it down to removing the points and condenser holding plate there is four nuts that hold the left hand fan housing to the main body of the saw. Remove these four nuts and the fan housing will pull off, the bearings and seal are held in this housing and the crank may want to come out with it. The connecting rod must be removed from the crank first by removing the two bolts on the big end of the connecting rod, there are loose needle bearings in the big end and you have to catch or retrieve them if they fall into the crankcase. I have made a puller that pushes on the crank end and connects to the fan housing through the starter adapter bolt holes, this pulls the fan housing off the crank, sometimes the bearing will stay with the crank and other times it will come off with the fan housing.
If you can get on to the Chainsaw Collectors site that Mike Acres has online and look up IEL chainsaws , find the RA and there is an illustrated parts list that can be downloaded from the site for the RA. Sometimes the site is hard to access but keep trying and you will find a lot of info there.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks Jerry,

Just as I suspected. I pried at the housing and saw that it wanted to come. Thought of making a puller or adapting one to work in this situation. I got the IPL from the Acres site a while back and it has been helpful but this situation was difficult to read by looking at the diagrams.

I don't have a lot of experience with fixing saws and don't have much to compare with but I'm really impressed with how solidly built these Ra's are. Looks like they were built to go forever. If not for the weight and lack of a chain brake, I'm sure most of them would still be at work these 50 years later .

What's your source for seals and bearings if needed?

Thanks Jerry,

Just as I suspected. I pried at the housing and saw that it wanted to come. Thought of making a puller or adapting one to work in this situation. I got the IPL from the Acres site a while back and it has been helpful but this situation was difficult to read by looking at the diagrams.

I don't have a lot of experience with fixing saws and don't have much to compare with but I'm really impressed with how solidly built these Ra's are. Looks like they were built to go forever. If not for the weight and lack of a chain brake, I'm sure most of them would still be at work these 50 years later .

What's your source for seals and bearings if needed?

I was lucky to have bought out a Pioneer chainsaw dealers old stock after he retired , he actually sold us our first Pioneer in1957 and was still in business around the time Partner bought out the Pioneer manufacturing , some time around 1985. He packed up all the old stock stuff and took it home to his backyard shop where he did repair work for a few years but then mostly gave up working. I went down to see him one day and he let me buy out what he had left.
You can get the bearings and seals from any bearing dealer in your area, Motion bearings can supply them as I have sent many of my buddies over to them and they had no problem getting the bearings and seals for the IEL and Pioneer 600 series saws.
My RA`s all run and work excellent as do all my 600 series saws, they are really durable, my IEL`s start back in 1948 with the model AB and continue up to the mid 1960`s with the model 650 .i also have a few saws up until the P series came out and every one of them run and cut really well.
Pioneerguy600

help with Pioneer flywheel removel.....

Can anyone shed some light on the removel of a flywheel from a NU-17? The sparkplug hole is a blind corner that I'm hesitant to put rope down for the usual piston stop. I wondered if there was a pin locate hole to stop the crank or something along those lines. I realize the nut is lefthand thread and the application of heat to the nut has netted no result. Idea's??

Drew

Can anyone shed some light on the removel of a flywheel from a NU-17? The sparkplug hole is a blind corner that I'm hesitant to put rope down for the usual piston stop. I wondered if there was a pin locate hole to stop the crank or something along those lines. I realize the nut is lefthand thread and the application of heat to the nut has netted no result. Idea's??

Drew

I remove all flywheel nuts with a cordless impact gun, hold the flywheel with one hand and apply the impact gun with appropriate socket to the nut and off it comes.
Pioneerguy600

Pioneer 1074

Hi All,
Poking around my father's garage last summer I came upon his old 1074 hanging under the workbench. It's been hanging there almost 25 years. Neither of us can remember what exactly drove him to packing it away, but I recall the carburation on it always vexed him. He bought a new carb or carb rebuild kit (pictured, I think), but it never got installed. The cylinder bore looks pretty good to me, and I seem to remember it running strong the last time we used it.

I don't actually have the old man's permission to sell it, I'm just posting it up here to hear some pro's opinions about these machines, its realistic value as it sits, and to maybe gauge if there's any interest in buying it.

He's not a chainsaw nut so it's unlikely he's going to resurrect it and provide a proper home-- as it is he's got enough retirement projects to last him his next 65 years. My thought is to sell this and his Craftsman/Poulan and put the procedes towards a modern, reliable yard saw.

Thanx, all.

-Eric.

a>

3205676812_5f755edcaf.jpg

3204830107_603c243fa5.jpg

3205679378_2b74580c4a.jpg

Kind of a neat old saw. I think if you did a seach here, you would find all you neeed to rebuild the carb yourself. If you are even a little bit handy. You'll find some pointers on how to clean that saw up for next to nothing. Try posting it in the trading post. Lots of members look for saw projects in there. If you need any help, just ask here in the pioneer thread. We would be glad to help you out.
Drew

Hi All,
Poking around my father's garage last summer I came upon his old 1074 hanging under the workbench. It's been hanging there almost 25 years. Neither of us can remember what exactly drove him to packing it away, but I recall the carburation on it always vexed him. He bought a new carb or carb rebuild kit (pictured, I think), but it never got installed. The cylinder bore looks pretty good to me, and I seem to remember it running strong the last time we used it.

I don't actually have the old man's permission to sell it, I'm just posting it up here to hear some pro's opinions about these machines, its realistic value as it sits, and to maybe gauge if there's any interest in buying it.

He's not a chainsaw nut so it's unlikely he's going to resurrect it and provide a proper home-- as it is he's got enough retirement projects to last him his next 65 years. My thought is to sell this and his Craftsman/Poulan and put the procedes towards a modern, reliable yard saw.

Thanx, all.

-Eric.

a>

3205676812_5f755edcaf.jpg

3204830107_603c243fa5.jpg

3205679378_2b74580c4a.jpg

I have a few Pioneer chainsaws and do a fair amount of restoration work on them. The saw you have is not considered a valuable collector and there is no scarcity of them out there. I know of a lot of them still in use for firewood cutting and can be picked up for little bit of pocket change. The most I personally seen paid for one recently was $ 50. for a near perfect one that ran like new, top air filter cover in perfect condition as that is the scarcest part to find for these saws. IMO.
Pioneerguy600

I remove all flywheel nuts with a cordless impact gun, hold the flywheel with one hand and apply the impact gun with appropriate socket to the nut and off it comes.
Pioneerguy600

I'll give that a try. Was just making sure that there was no crank lock feature(like on some of the old Mac's), before I went to the air wrench. Thanks Jerry.

Drew

I think that I warned you back when you first contacted me about a P25 that this Pioneer collecting can become costly. LOL
Pioneerguy600

Yes, thanks. I didn't own any a month ago, now I have three and looking at others. :cry:

Message for BIGBORE577

Hello Bigbore
When I first started to collect these Pioneers Jerry was one of the first to warn me about the collecting and everything he said about collecting them has rung true.I don't quite know what it is but it is a touch more than just plain old CAD.Maybe it 's because they were made in Canada and being Canadian we are sentimental for these saws.It's a heritage thing,like the Maple Leaf,Hockey,Molson Canadian, NOT, it's Sleeman for this fella.The Pioneer Gurus,not me,on this thread can help you with just about anything to do with these saws.Hope you have deep pockets because it is going to get real bad once your bitten buy the Pioneer bug.Post some pics when you get a chance BIGBORE and WELCOME.
Lawrence

Last edited:
Hello Bigbore
When I first started to collect these Pioneers Jerry was one of the first to warn me about the collecting and everything he said about collecting them has rung true.I don't quite know what it is but it is a touch more than just plain old CAD.Maybe it 's because they were made in Canada and being Canadian we are sentimental for these saws.It's a heritage thing,like the Maple Leaf,Hockey,Molson Canadian, NOT, it's Sleeman for this fella.The Pioneer Gurus,not me,on this thread can help you with just about anything to do with these saws.Hope you have deep pockets because it is going to get real bad once your bitten buy the Pioneer bug.Post some pics when you get a chance BIGBORE and WELCOME.
Lawrence

Jerry is a great guy. He has always taken the time to answer some of my more inane questions, I' sure. I owe him a debt of gratitude, mostly for helping me get in debt.:clap: BTW, I always drink Molson XXX when I come up fishing/hunting. It lends a new meaning to having only a couple. The headache is another story. Perhaps it's Canadian revenge on us Yanks. We can't say no to anything XXX. I think I'm going to stick with Canadian Club, in deference to the name, it hurts less.:cheers:

Jerry is a great guy. He has always taken the time to answer some of my more inane questions, I' sure. I owe him a debt of gratitude, mostly for helping me get in debt.:clap: BTW, I always drink Molson XXX when I come up fishing/hunting. It lends a new meaning to having only a couple. The headache is another story. Perhaps it's Canadian revenge on us Yanks. We can't say no to anything XXX. I think I'm going to stick with Canadian Club, in deference to the name, it hurts less.:cheers:

Try out some Gibsons Sterling when your next up:cheers: Lot nicer than the "Club",IMO. Crown Royal used to be the mainstay, but they changed the recipe, now not so good.

I agree, Hats off to Jerry(and all the others here!!), but Jerry has had a lot of patience with my constant questions with regards to the old IEL's and paint.

:clap: :greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back