Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest project

I just finished my P61 rebuild with new everything including boost port cylinder. This saw spent it's previous life downing redwoods in northern California. I saved it from the scrapheap.
It's sort of a P60/61/62/655 now and will be my new firewood ripper. I got this saw for $100. The original crank bearings were recently replaced but the piston and cylinder were ruined from an overly lean condition and most of the other parts were worn. I put a lot of sweat and NOS parts into it, but when it fired right up, it was all worth it. This thing runs perfectly. The last photo is of some of the new parts that went into it. If anyone has a new black handle and would like to trade for this grey handle, let me know.

My next project is a P42HP that one of our members is so graciously donating a cylinder for.

106.jpg

108.jpg

105-1.jpg

Last edited:
Another mod

Here is my Poulan Pro 655 with a recent addition, a new K&N top filter. This was a factory option on the Pioneer/Partner and Poulan Pro rebadged saws. I haven't run it yet with the new filter but I think I'll probably have to richen this one up just a bit.

P1010256.jpg

P1010258.jpg

Hello everyone. I came across this site while searching for Pioneer Farm Lite parts. I need the recoil spool for a Farm Lite. They are out of stock from what I've heard. I have been told the one from a Farm Saw would work too. If anybody has an extra one or know where I can get one please reply. Thanks, this looks like a great site.

Does the 655 boost port cylinder fit on the P61? Do you notice any difference in the power of the new reconditioned saw? I have tossed around the idea of taking my P51 spare case that I have and doing the same thing. The one area I might be concerned about would be the crankshaft, as the late P62's and the 655's had beefed up cranks and crank bearings. Nice looking restoration.

ammoo74

Hi ammoo
Welcome to the site.You will be able to find answers to questions about Pioneers right in this thread.Unfortunately I do not have an answer for your question just posted.I will tell you that some of the other members will be able to help you out I'm sure.Try ebay type in Pioneer parts in the search and there is a whole wack of sellers that have Pioneer parts
Lawrence

pioneerguy 600

Hello Jerry
Those are two nice looking saws you have there,of course the P62 is really nice,but that Poulan Pro looks wild with that air filter on there.Your saws rock
Lawrence
PS check your email at home I sent something you might want.

If by recoil spool you mean the spool the starter cord wraps around, then the Farmlite shares a common spool with the P38. The farmsaw series use a different engagement mechanism and will not work. The parts manuals show a different part number for the P41's but I would check them out as they are the same style. You would have to make sure that all the dimensions are the same.

Pulley and BP cylinder

Welcome Ammoo, I have the pulley you are looking for, and it's new. I'll send a PM.

The stock BP cylinder will not fit the older P-series saws because there is no cutaway for the shouldered cylinder. I found a kit that was made to retrofit all the big saws. It was essentially a flat-based boost port cylinder and it came with a flywheel and coil. It was quite a score. I don't know how much of a performance increase it will be.

Pioneer 600 was a bonus

About an hour ago I received my first ever Pioneer 600,it is very dirty and needs a starter cover recoil part.It came as a bonus with the PM 270 Canadien I have been waiting for.
Lawrence

Propliner, thanks for the info. I knew that the late P62's came with the new style cylinder that requires the groove in the body casting and was wondering how you managed the 655 cylinder. Who makes the kit that you purchased? Interesting kit.

P60/655 kit

The kit was either made by Poulan or by Pioneer. It's not aftermarket. I got the kit which included cylinder, piston, rings, wristpin, clips, coil and flywheel for $150. A pretty fair price I'd say. Send me a P.M. if you're interested, they may still be available.

Did the complete kit have a part number. I could check with my local dealer first to see if it is available. It certainly is a fair price, as the cylinder and piston alone usually run around $200.

Latest posts

Back