Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PM270model1200a031.jpg

Couple of good project saws you got there Lawrence. I am not sure that you have a 600 there as a lot of the parts showing are not from a 600. It looks more like a 610 with additions from a 620 and a 650. Can you read the tag riveted to the front of the recoil housing? PM me if you need anything.
Pioneerguy600

1200/600

Lawrence, those two look like they should keep you busy. The 1200 looks to be in good shape. Does the fuel primer work? They can be a bit of a problem, but not too hard to rebuild. I like the homemade spikes. I have an NOS 20" Pioneer bar and new chain for that 1200 if you're interested. They are hard to come by.

Pioneer 600

Hello Jerry
I was going by the cover on the saw as it reads 600.Do you think you could be a little more specific on the parts that you think are from different models of Pioneers.Then I can compare them to the IPL's.I mean if the saw is a miss mash of parts does it make sense to try and fix it up.I kinda need to know if thats just a 600 cover stuck on top of a unknown Pioneer.I guess what I'm getting at is I need some benchmarks,HMMMM lets see I have a 600 cover a so and so part from a so ans so Pioneer and a soandso part from a soand so Pioneer AAAAAAGGGGGGGG! Geeeezzzzzz! how the heck is this rookie, newbe, wannabe chainsaw guy going to figure it out?

Ok from the picts you have posted it looks like you have a model 610 . The same top cover was used on the 600,600 A and 610. All the covers have 600 on them but the 600 has a green tree on it, the 600 A has a silver tree on it and the 610 has a mostly yellow tree with a fine green outline around the edges. If it had a OEM replacement cover put on it then they came with no paint on the tree logo or the top cover may have just been repainted at some time. The 600 had a large dual port muffler on them like the ones on the 600 `s I have picts posted further back in this thread. The muffler on yours comes from a later model saw such as the 620, 620 Super and the 650. The airfilter is from a 620 or newer model, the clutch cover is from a 650. The way to tell the model of your saw is stamped on the tag riveted to the front of the fan housing that I can see in the fourth pict you have posted. The saw may have been painted as that tag looks yellow but should be green with natural aluminum trim.
It is still worth getting it to run as it will work with any model parts on it but if you were going to restore it you would want the stock OEM parts on it. It is a good solid saw to start with if you just want a runner.
Pioneerguy600

Pioneer 600?

Hello Jerry
Sorry about all the questions in the post you responded to today.Okay I have got it now thans to your detailed explanation.I forgot to mention in that last post that I did read the tag on the saw and there is no mention of the model number,only that the saw was manufactured by IEL in Vancouver BC,that's it.I will however double check.I think I may just turn this saw into a runner and not a show piece as I think there would be too much work involved with all the mix matched parts.That's just the mind set I have now.I may look for a nicer one.
Thanks again Jerry
Lawrence

problem engaging starter on pioneer farmsaw

Hi Folks I am Mike From NH . what a great site . this is my first post . I was reading with great interest about guys collecting pioneer saws .I had not even seen ones other than mine before .I moved to NH in 1987 and as I would be heating with wood as my primary source of heat I went shopping for a chainsaw .at the local Stihl dealer I found that I could not afford a new saw . BUT the dealer had taken in a farmsaw as a trade and sold it to me for 75 bucks. this has been my only saw . till 2004 when my wife bought me a new Huskey for fathers day. the starter would not engage on the farmsaw . so i put it on the shelf under my bench and forgot about it .till I discovered this site. I actually forgot why I had put the Pioneer away . anyway , I would like to get the saw running as a back up saw could someone help ? It seems the Black plastic gear on the pull starter does come out far enough to engage the flywheel. It doesnt look worn .but maybe it is. can I put a spacer on it to bring it out further or must I replace the peice? any and all help is appreciated!

Hi Folks I am Mike From NH . what a great site . this is my first post . I was reading with great interest about guys collecting pioneer saws .I had not even seen ones other than mine before .I moved to NH in 1987 and as I would be heating with wood as my primary source of heat I went shopping for a chainsaw .at the local Stihl dealer I found that I could not afford a new saw . BUT the dealer had taken in a farmsaw as a trade and sold it to me for 75 bucks. this has been my only saw . till 2004 when my wife bought me a new Huskey for fathers day. the starter would not engage on the farmsaw . so i put it on the shelf under my bench and forgot about it .till I discovered this site. I actually forgot why I had put the Pioneer away . anyway , I would like to get the saw running as a back up saw could someone help ? It seems the Black plastic gear on the pull starter does come out far enough to engage the flywheel. It doesnt look worn .but maybe it is. can I put a spacer on it to bring it out further or must I replace the peice? any and all help is appreciated!

The plastic starter piece wears out and even faster if it doesn't catch on the first time. You might be able to find replacement parts on Ebay. If you post up pictures i am sure these Pioneer experts would be able to help you out. :cheers:

Welcome to AS!

Starter

Hello Mickeyd
Welcome to the site and this thread.The gurus will be along once they read your post,and they will offer their wisdom on the solution.If I am not mistaken those Farmsaws had starter problems,but I am no expert in this area.Once the other fellas have given their remedy ,you can source parts on E bay,Search Pioneer Parts and sellers with parts will show up.
Lawrence

Hello Mickeyd
Welcome to the site and this thread.The gurus will be along once they read your post,and they will offer their wisdom on the solution.If I am not mistaken those Farmsaws had starter problems,but I am no expert in this area.Once the other fellas have given their remedy ,you can source parts on E bay,Search Pioneer Parts and sellers with parts will show up.
Lawrence

The starters and the ignitions were trouble in those saws. I have a mediocre starter on my Farmsaw, but it is definitely a flaw in the saw design.

Ok ; which Farmsaw do you have, the orange with dark grey top or the greenish yellow one with the black handles and top,that`s a Farmsaw II.
The starter mechanism usually strips off on the engaging end and becomes too short to engage the flywheel. At that point they are toast. The decomp works in conjunction with the recoil and if for some reason it stops working or the actuator lever gets out of adjustment the plastic/nylon gear strips very easily.These are a very problematic part on an otherwise great running saw. I know that I have used the parts from a P38-P41 to repair these saws in the past when I had dozens of them sitting in the parts bin but they have been stripped to the bones so nothing left to compare to. Maybe Petesoldsaw would have some info in his IPL`s as to part numbers for that recoil drive part that is stripped.
Pioneerguy600

Farmsaw IPL

Hello mickeyd
If you PM me your email I can send an IPL it's not the best but might help you.Is it a Farmsaw or Farmsaw 11
Lawrence

Hey Jerry, did you need to change the flywheel and ignition for the p40 starter to work? I would like to fix mine and I have some P40 parts laying around.

yup thats it alright . I have used this saw for firewood for 15 years other than a couple sparkplugs and a new chain I have had zero problems with it . It will be nice to get it running again .

Latest posts

Back