Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was sweating it the whole time, :blob2:

I wonder how much you would have sweated it if that faller had come back with a blown piston and cylinder....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

kudos anyway for getting the job done. There are quite some stories about the ingenieity of amercian soldiers during WWII of getting their busted equipment going again... must be something in your folks blood :clap::clap:

I would have been to skeered to try something like that..:rolleyes:

You can resize a ring from a larger application as long as its not too much larger (going 0.5mm-1mm is generally acceptable I've found, but more than that creates problems.)

You can grind the ring ends or file them, you're probably better off filing them as you need a really steady hand when grinding rings. Two things you need to have when resizing rings- a good feeler gauge and a knowledge of ring end gap specs.

One time I was rushing to get a Stihl 064 rebuilt for a timber faller who had a big job the next day, and I broke one of the new rings on the new piston. I cut down a new 066 ring and made it work, it was tedious and I was sweating it the whole time, but it worked and the saw is still in service. :blob2:
hmm, this is interesting. I have a steady hand a feller gauge, but not a very good knowledge of end gaps. What's the max and min end gaps I'm aiming for?

Any value in this old saw?

I created a new thread without noticing this Pioneer thread... my apologies.
Can y'all tell me if this old Pioneer is worth anything? It's about 30 minutes away from me. Non-runner with decent compression. Probably a carb cleanup and points would get it running.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks,
TFB

Can y'all tell me if this old Pioneer is worth anything? It's about 30 minutes away from me. Non-runner with decent compression. Probably a carb cleanup and points would get it running.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks,
TFB

That looks like a Pioneer 400 and they are not real common so a good running one would fetch up to $200. if its all there and not broken and cracked badly. The pump primer for the carb and lines along with the fuel filters are the areas that usually require replacement. It will also most likely need a carb kit that is not hard to find for a Tillotson HL. It depends what you can get it for and how much work you can do on it yourself and remember parts are not easy to find for 40 year old saws.
Pioneerguy600

pioneer parts

anyone ever done buiness with this company b4????

they emailed me that they have in stock all of the farmsaw starter parts I need

http://www.cescomkt.com/

Distributing Quality Outdoor Power Products

Consolidated Equipment & Supply Co. has been a distributor of Outdoor Power Equipment based in Vancouver, B.C. Canada, for over 45 years. Our customers are Chain Saw, Lawn Mower and Small Engine sales and service dealers.

I want to be sure they are reputable b4 sending them payment

thanks Mick

mikeyd

Hello mickeyd
Have not bought anything from them yet,but I believe Mike Acres is involved in the business,should be all right
Lawrence

cool beans ! Im waiting on a quote from them on parts and shipping . I cant wait to fire up this farmsaw its been a couple years !!!
Mick

it is mike Acres who contacted me .
I have heard his name all over this site and checked out his antique chainsaw stat site. So I am comfortable dealing with him. thanks for your input

I love the internet but sometimes you never know if someones waiting to steal from you.

Mick

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks,
TFB

what you have there is a Pioneer 450, first came out in 1964. Was designed for the casual-user market. Very unique looking saw.

What have I done?

If you look at my signature, you'll notice an addition... a PLASTIC saw! Yes that's right, a new Stihl HT131 pole saw. My Pioneers are not happy with this aquistion but it was a necessity for the increased tree work that I've been getting and because of the unavailability of a PIONEER pole saw. The 131 weighs a ton but will reach to almost 12 feet. That will save a lot of climbing and dangerous ladder work. My P50 and 1074 are still my reliable sidekicks.

Alright fella's, I want to see a nice clean bidding war! No snipe bidding and pics will be posted by the winner. Now head back to your respective wallets and come out bidding!!! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

This should be interesting.......:popcorn:

It sold for $405.00 :jawdrop:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220358140537&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:AU:1123
I was expecting it to sell for around $200.00, oh well I bet the seller is happy.

Ok their worth more than I thought, do they really weigh more than
20 KG (44 LBS) ? that's heavier than a Stihl 090.

They were heavy for sure but I don`t think they reached 30 lbs, just powerhead.Bars and chain could add up depending on length.The 800 was much like the IEL model J at 126 cc. You are into collector territory with these saws, they go for top dollar.
Pioneerguy600

RA - coil gap...

Cleaning and adjusting the points on my RA and Acres site states that the coil/flywheel air gap is Fixed. Mine however is fully adjustable. I'm guessing that it was replaced sometime in the past. Should a .010 gap work, or should I open it a little more.

Drew

Update: Realized the adjustment was for the timing...Duhh ohh! Got the saw running(finally). have a small air leak at the site glass seal. Maybe tonight I'll cut a new gasket for it. Tommorrow, if time permits, I'll swap the clutch out and string some chain out on the bar. Hope to post pics of it running in the test log.

Last edited:
the owner of the 800 emailed me to ask what was so special about the saw he was getting swamped by emails. i didnt quiet have enough cash in my toy account to really go for it:cry: oh well maybe next time

the owner of the 800 emailed me to ask what was so special about the saw he was getting swamped by emails. i didnt quiet have enough cash in my toy account to really go for it:cry: oh well maybe next time

You want to see a bidding war? Put that saw up on eBay over here and it would go for three times what it went for over there.
Pioneerguy600

Back