Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Roy
I was sure I read somewhere about a primer for the 1200A.Maybe there was some that came with the Pioneer carb and some that did not.Iwill go back and check the service manual
Thanks Again
Lawrence

My 1200A does not have a primer. You can use a tilly RK-23HS kit to bebuild the carb. Fixed the recoil the other day and finally got mine running. The auto oil sure puts out!

Drew

Since I had my camera out today, I thought I'd snap a couple of pics of my 1074. This nearly mint machine has never seen gas or oil. Many days I resist the temptation to fire this thing up.

I was wondering what you guys might think something like this would be worth?

P1010273.jpg

P1010272.jpg

Hi Guys,
sorry to derail - but not getting any replies in my own thread. Does anyone know where to get rings for an old Pioneer 450? (not partner/pioneer, real pioneer)

My neighbour gave me his Pioneer 450, still has the original box, warranty papers, owner's manual, chain (plenty of life left) and tools.
Problem is, compression is very poor. I'm going to strip it down, replace gaskets etc. (need to make the exhuast gasket I'm thinking). But I won't bother if I can't get new rings for it. Does anyone know where to get NOS or AM rings - it's 2.25" bore. I assume it's imperial (not 57mm)?
450 rings anyone?

Propliners 1074

Hi Brendon
Way to tease me!That 1074 is a gem! Surely you don't want to part with that machine,unless of course you had two like that.Where did you find a gem like that?Did you buy it yourself new, or was it an ebay find.I know Pioneer collectors do not find the smaller Pioneers colletable but........Geeeeezzzz!Are you just fishing with that machine.PM me Brendon.
I am looking at the 1074 and you see where the spark plug cylinder shroud is screwed in to the case just left of the muffler,that's where the anti vibe is holding the shroud on my P28.The only screw was the one that held the handle on to the anti vibe.And yes there are three more screws holding that shrould on.I guess I will try the vise grip trick
Lawrence

I actually built that machine from new parts awhile ago. The only thing that is not new is the starter handle. Also, It's missing the data plate underneath and the little oval sticker on the clutch cover. I don't think I can sell it, but thought I'd throw a photo up for the guys to see, because I'm sure everyone likes to see saw pics as much as I do.

I've really always wondered what it would be worth. There was a 1074 new in the box on the Italian Ebay and he was starting it around $500 U.S. at the time. Obviously, nobody bid at that price and it disappeared. I'm guessing mine might be worth $250 or so to a collector but I'll just hang on to it unless someone wants to trade for a P65 :)

Pioneer Saws and prices

Hi Fellas
Thought I would share somehthing with you guys,since everone on this thread has shared a little bit here and there, and I hope they continue to do so.I really do think I am sick with Pioneer CAD. Even the memrobilia is getting to me
Pioneerpricelist001.jpg

Pioneerpricelist.jpg

Hi Guys,
sorry to derail - but not getting any replies in my own thread. Does anyone know where to get rings for an old Pioneer 450? (not partner/pioneer, real pioneer)

My neighbour gave me his Pioneer 450, still has the original box, warranty papers, owner's manual, chain (plenty of life left) and tools.
Problem is, compression is very poor. I'm going to strip it down, replace gaskets etc. (need to make the exhuast gasket I'm thinking). But I won't bother if I can't get new rings for it. Does anyone know where to get NOS or AM rings - it's 2.25" bore. I assume it's imperial (not 57mm)?

If the bore is 2.250, Could you use rings from another brand, model of saw.
The Homelite 2000 and 2100 both have 2.250 bores

Just a thought

Lee

Belgian, my guess for your new saw is that it's a 2270. I worked on one recently.

Well, I checked all the available IPL of the models mentioned and have narrowed the ID list down to :

all 77 cc saws, so Holmen was right about the CC part :clap:.

the carb being a HS39A, I suspect it's a 2460 (but no IPL on that one, grrr)

Just a thought

Lee

Depends if they are 57 mm X 1.5 mm. I have often thought of it myself but Homelite parts are just as scarce as Pioneer parts around here. The Pioneers have rather thick rings.
Pioneerguy600

Just a thought

Lee
thanks Lee, I'll look out for them too
I'm going to just cut down a set of 58x1.5mm rings from a Stihl 075.
I didn't know you could do that. Have you done it or heard of it before? Does it work well? What do you cut with, and how much?

Holmen, I checked the carb today and it's a tilly HS39A that does not correspond to a 3270. I suspect it's a 2400 or 2460, but don't know for sure.

I cleaned her up a bit today. She fires well with some added fuel in the plug hole but won't stay running. The fuel lines in the tank probably need replacement.

DSC02126.jpg

With the help of a fine AS member who generously sent me the IPL for the 2400 series, I can now positively ID my saw as being a 2460.

I also noted that the saw case mentioned "made in canada", so I can conclude that this saw probably was assembled in Belgium only and marketed as model "economy". Just need to find out if they assembled other saws for the european market here in Belgium.

With the help of a fine AS member who generously sent me the IPL for the 2400 series, I can now positively ID my saw as being a 2460.

I also noted that the saw case mentioned "made in canada", so I can conclude that this saw probably was assembled in Belgium only and marketed as model "economy". Just need to find out if they assembled other saws for the european market here in Belgium.

It takes being a detective sometimes to solve these mysteries, good work Roland!

I didn't know you could do that. Have you done it or heard of it before? Does it work well? What do you cut with, and how much?

You can resize a ring from a larger application as long as its not too much larger (going 0.5mm-1mm is generally acceptable I've found, but more than that creates problems.)

You can grind the ring ends or file them, you're probably better off filing them as you need a really steady hand when grinding rings. Two things you need to have when resizing rings- a good feeler gauge and a knowledge of ring end gap specs.

One time I was rushing to get a Stihl 064 rebuilt for a timber faller who had a big job the next day, and I broke one of the new rings on the new piston. I cut down a new 066 ring and made it work, it was tedious and I was sweating it the whole time, but it worked and the saw is still in service. :blob2:

Back