Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Ra cover looks great! As usual, your work is encouragemnet to others. Hope you post a pic of the whole completed saw.

Drew

I can post over 50 picts of this saw but would gladly post any picts that other members would like to see during any stage of the rebuild. I can post completed picts of all sides if you like. Finding that Pioneer logo was the hardest piece to find, it is a brand new old stock piece that came to me in its original box, probably very few in existance. Many thanks for the encouragement and hope your repairs on your saws are coming along well.
Pioneerguy600

well Jerry you have done it again!Crane hit the nail right on the head,your work is good motivation to us all.
Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence, this restoration thing that I do on these saws is very satisfying for me. I have more than 50 of them waiting for restoration, most of them have been mechanically rebuilt but require painting.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_3498

Notice the model and serial number on the aluminun foil peel and stick original IEL tag, I have not seen another in perfect condition and this one along with the NOS Pioneer logo really completes this saw in my opinion. If anyone else can see anything else that is missing from this saw I would wish to hear from them as I want to make this one as close to an original new saw as possible.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry that thing look like piece of crap:hmm3grin2orange:

AHHH Just kinding.
Looks fantastic. Very nice work.

I might add, but i could be wrong.
I think the starter rope is suppose
to go over the roller not under the
way yours is.

I hope someday mine looks as nice as yours.

Lee

IMG_3521.JPG

Got an original Pioneer 24" bar and chain on it. Would like to find an NOS original bar from the 1950`s but its going to be harder to find than the Pioneer logo for the top cover. Hope everyone enjoys the picts of this RA and am looking forward to seeing picts of others saws painted or not. Gmax has just painted his Pioneer 620 so lets see some picts of it.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry that thing look like piece of crap:hmm3grin2orange:

AHHH Just kinding.
Looks fantastic. Very nice work.

I might add, but i could be wrong.
I think the starter rope is suppose
to go over the roller not under the
way yours is.

I hope someday mine looks as nice as yours.

Lee

Hi Lee, guess again on that rope, the starter pulls up not down. Just pulling your leg, got to re route that pullcord and get it pulling right. LOL
Jerry

Last edited:
greetings all gurus! I just joined and I am very impressed with all of your handiwork, it's great to see people taking such great care of these amazing saws, you should be proud of yourselves. I just aquired a saw from an old fella friend of mine who had it since new. His hope is that I can get it going so that he can hear it running again someday. The saw is a Pioneer 14-20 I think it was made in the late 60s. Can any of you give me any info on this saw such as availability of parts or even if its worth fooling with? The saw is complete and will pull over but I have it all torn apart now to give it a good cleaning before trying to start it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

greetings all gurus! I just joined and I am very impressed with all of your handiwork, it's great to see people taking such great care of these amazing saws, you should be proud of yourselves. I just aquired a saw from an old fella friend of mine who had it since new. His hope is that I can get it going so that he can hear it running again someday. The saw is a Pioneer 14-20 I think it was made in the late 60s. Can any of you give me any info on this saw such as availability of parts or even if its worth fooling with? The saw is complete and will pull over but I have it all torn apart now to give it a good cleaning before trying to start it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi and welcome to the site. You are in the right thread to ask all the questions you have about Pioneer chainsaws. There is a lot of knowledgeable people on here and when it comes to parts for Pioneer saws they are rare but can usually be found through the members here. Its best to ask for specific pieces as you need them and someone will join in and help you out.
There is a site you can find if you Google Chainsaw Collectors Iit will take you to Mike Acres site and you can select your make and model where the specs and info are listed. The old Pioneer saws are good older era saws that are far surpassed by modern chainsaws as far as ease of operation and cutting speed goes but is fun for most of us to get them to run and some of us like to restore some of them as keepsakes but usually not to be used for serious woodcutting.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks for the welcome. I will have to see what it needs after I get it back together. I don't see a lot of talk on that model in particular. Do you know if it was commonly used or not? I think it will be fun to tinker with, Hopefully I can get it running I'd love to hear it myself. One question I do have ,should I mix up some 16:1 or can I use a leaner mix than reccomended? I assume todays oils are better than those used in the 60s. Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. I will have to see what it needs after I get it back together. I don't see a lot of talk on that model in particular. Do you know if it was commonly used or not? I think it will be fun to tinker with, Hopefully I can get it running I'd love to hear it myself. One question I do have ,should I mix up some 16:1 or can I use a leaner mix than reccomended? I assume todays oils are better than those used in the 60s. Thanks

Using todays modern mix oils such as those sold through Stihl, Huskvarna and Dolmar or as long as its good quality mix oil you are safe to mix gasoline at 40:1, I own and run 40 odd Pioneer vintage saws and they run fine on 40:1 mixes. The 1420 is a lot like my 1450 that I bought new around 1966 and still use it today as a fun saw to run, it actually is a fast cutting saw but the antivibe is absent and has no safety features. My model 1450 Inject Air.

IMG_1945.jp

Nice saw, bet its a hoot to run. Whats the difference between your 1450 and a 1420 injectaire? The fellow I got it from said it was a pretty good cutting saw for its time. Thanks for the info on the oil, I wouldn't want to mix 16:1 unless it could keep these pesky blackflies away!

Nice saw, bet its a hoot to run. Whats the difference between your 1450 and a 1420 injectaire? The fellow I got it from said it was a pretty good cutting saw for its time. Thanks for the info on the oil, I wouldn't want to mix 16:1 unless it could keep these pesky blackflies away!

The 1420 may be an Inject Air as it used the same carb, they have an adjustable screw that sets the air intake between the carb and the cylinder, the screw is located above the recoil housing. My 1450 will keep up with a Huskvarna model 65 so its a good cutting saw but you will feel the vibration through these solid mount saws where the engine is solidly mounted to the handles. The blackflies are not out here as yet but a little extra oil in the mix does help keep them away but may contribute to blocking up the saws muffler or spark screen if there is one in the muffler.
Pioneerguy600

Where could one get a set of rings for this thing? Also did you notice that you are almost at 2000 posts? Thats quite a few, good work!!

Where could one get a set of rings for this thing? Also did you notice that you are almost at 2000 posts? Thats quite a few, good work!!

I pay no attention to things like rep. and number of posts etc. Piston rings from other modern saws can sometimes be exchanged into the Pioneer saws ,I would have to check out the ring size and see if there is a modern set avaliable. I can find NOS stuff sometimes also.
Pioneerguy600

lol ... that ain't the most that you'll see on this site, and I'd bet that 1,995 of his posts have been greatly informative, especially about the Pioneer saws, but he has a great knowledge of all saws (that's where the other 2 fit in :D).

If I ever have even close to his amount of knowledge (about Jonsereds - my favorite), I would have accomplished a great thing. That's a long, long, long ways off for me. :laugh:

Well Ive only started posting today and he's helped me out alot already! I also read all 80 pages of Pioneer thread and I can see that he is a real wealth of knowledge on these old saws. I Just hope to get mine running I don't expect it to look anywhere near as nice as his!

lol ... that ain't the most that you'll see on this site, and I'd bet that 1,995 of his posts have been greatly informative, especially about the Pioneer saws, but he has a great knowledge of all saws (that's where the other 2 fit in :D).

If I ever have even close to his amount of knowledge (about Jonsereds - my favorite), I would have accomplished a great thing. That's a long, long, long ways off for me. :laugh:

Thanks Chris, don`t sell yourself short on your knowledge, I have over 35 years of experience, don`t know how much that counts for knowledge. LOL.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back