Professional vs. Home model Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric8

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just curious if you guys knew what the differences are between Stihl's occasional/home use chainsaws vs. their professional models? For instance, what features would I be paying extra for buying an MS362 vs an MS290 Farm Boss? I see that both are roughly 56ccs and 13 lbs, but the MS has almost 1 more HP.

My main concern is durability. Are the pro series engines built better than the occasional use models? Are there better bars, chains etc on the pro models?

Sorry if I sound like a newbie, but I'm just a homeowner looking for a really good saw. I know a professional model is overkill for my use, but I would rather pay extra now for something that will last 10 years versus something that will be junk in 3 or 4.

we need more info about the amount of use. a homeowner series will last more than 10 yrs unless it is used daily.
pro saws generally have a cylinder that attaches to the crankcase and have more power per pound of weight you are toting around. the homeowner series use the lower part of the cylinder to hold the top portion of the crank. pro series are easier to service. but as far as wear, the stihl homeowner saws hold up very well.

The MS290 is a good saw, but like nmurph said, you need to explain when and how you intend to use the saw you want to buy.How much cutting, how big of wood, what kind of wood.

Last edited:
I know a guy that cuts firewood for a living with a 029...no telling how many cords he's cut with it. If you're a homeowner looking for a saw that will last I say you should take the challenge:

buy you an MS290 and try to wear it out

Stihl makes quality and that's why it costs a little more and it's worth every penny. Note that on some of your professional models that the body shows a split between engine and air filter which is supposed to cut down on the vibration between the saw and you.
IMHO I think a well cared for saw with a sharp blade is going to cut down on the vibration a lot more! The Farm Boss and others its size are going to last you a very long time if you use Stihl oil and keep it clean. You will be amazed how long you can run them before any major maintenance is needed if you take care of it.

we need more info about the amount of use. a homeowner series will last more than 10 yrs unless it is used daily.
pro saws generally have a cylinder that attaches to the crankcase and have more power per pound of weight you are toting around. the homeowner series use the lower part of the cylinder to hold the top portion of the crank. pro series are easier to service. but as far as wear, the stihl homeowner saws hold up very well.

Agreed. My dad uses his saws a couple of times a year, I use mine at least once every week 6 months of the year - we're both in the "homeowner" category (i.e. neither of us make a living at it).

There are a lot of factors at play. For me, Id rather look for a well cared for used pro saw & have the best of both worlds: lower cost, higher quality - but that obviously requires a bit of guts to be willing to troubleshoot if things go wrong (not to say that a brand new saw wouldnt have its issues at some point either, mind you).

not sure how much use it will see i had a ms290 and it got taken so i got a ms362
the 362 is a lot more saw and much nicer on the body if you are useing it all day

It's a bit of a stretch to compare a 362 and a 290. The 391 is really closer to the 362 in terms of size and power.

Bars and chains are interchangable between the mid-range and pro class saws.

Durability concerns shouldn't bother you much if you're not making a living with the saw or cutting wood for the entire neghborhood, thought that's not to say I'd rule out a pro saw either.I know several people who have run the snot out of the mid-range saws and they keep coming back for more. A pro saw will be more comfortable to use all day,and should last longer, especially under homeowner use, IF taken care of properly.

If you're just cutting firewood for yourself, buy the most saw you're comfortable with. The 290 will cut wood, but a 311 will be more powerful and then the 391 more again. The 362 is an excellent saw if you don't mind dropping the cash on it, and has more power, better balance than the previous three saws mentioned.

Don't rule out other brands, though. The dealer is really one of the most important considerations in a new saw.

my father had an 024 he bought when i was a little kid, thing ran like a champ for 16 YEARS, being used every year to cut wood for our fireplace, help out neighbors, he even loaned it out quite a few times.. the abuse those people (including my father) put put on it, was probably pretty much, and the thing just kept going.. nothing wrong with "homeowner" saws at all
ive never run a 290, but im sure its a great saw.. most people are not used to a 50+ cc saw and are surprised how well they cut.. even with a "safety" chain, the average person is used to a wild thang, crapsman, etc.. there is no comparison , even with stihls homeowner line

Last edited:
I had a plastic homelite which I found out had a life span from 50 -300 hours.Like most home owners stuff used once in a blue moon for a short job. Stihl makes some home owner stuff that is decent then a nice midline series then they go pro.
It really depends what is in budget,and how much you are going to use it. I just purchased a new MS260 Pro a nice 50cc saw that can take a hard days workin'. The reason I got this was it is a bit big for my current needs but I know its been in production a long time so parts are plentiful.

Last edited:
assuming a medium size saw (60cc) is needed... new MS361 is 800+ or out of most budgets.

800 American Dollars!?!
i made a post asking for one months ago, and had several offers from guys, that i dont even know personally, willing to pick one up from their local shop and send to me for around $600 shipped (or less) in some cases!

Home owner saws are fine and take a lot of abuse, but I like pro models much better!

Buy what you like :cheers:

There is a lot more difference than just the power to weight ratio, the non-pro Stihls have a plastic case, and are much harder to work on than the pro ones for most people. The quality on some parts is also different, but that will vary with the exact models. A few experts on them may differ regarding how hard they are to work on, but that is only because they worked on a lot of them.

Last edited:
+1 ... this is almost identical to a post I made a few days ago.

assuming a medium size saw (60cc) is needed... new MS361 is 800+ or out of most budgets.

recently I offered a low hours MS360 Pro in excellent condition with new 25in bar/chain for $375. in other words a no lose deal.... but the person still couldn't see paying that much for a used saw.

reason for selling is I got no use for a 62cc saw... much better off with MS260/MS460 combo. but 62cc is ideal for folks that can only have one saw.

offered MS360 sold quickly (local) and was gone by the next day.
a used pro saw will be a bit higher than a used homeowner version. you will forget the small $$ difference... but certainly will know the difference after using a pro saw for awhile.

Well, and it you're patient & know what you're looking for, you can do even better.

My 036 I got for $70 (cosmetic wear but runs like a champ). My 034S I got for $100 (looks brand new all it needed was a new fuel line & was good to go). And my 262 I got for $150.

These all took time to search for and find, mind you.

What about the MS270, MS280 & the various 028's

Like the MS290/310/390 they're listed as "Mid-Range Use" saws ("Chain Saws for Farming and Landscaping" in Canada), but don't have the clam-shell crankcase. How do they differ from the "Pro" saws?

Latest posts

Back